Author Topic: AM os?  (Read 4517 times)

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
AM os?
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:28:22 PM »
dont suppose this could be made into an os? or at least bootable.. i mean i dont know squat about programing , im a hardware guy. just umm putting it out their .... ya know ;)
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

hermine.potter

• View Profile
Re: AM os?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 12:16:20 AM »
RPI: it already "exists" (based on retropie and emulstation).
Windows: due to license problems, difficult. Deployment has limitations, because of different hardware driver (you have to add different driver packages).
Linux: this could work by offering a finished packed ISO or provide at least sh-scripts (linux shell scripts with the necessary commands and parameters)
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

nevincho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:05:13 AM »
Try Groovy Arcade

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:26:46 AM »
Try Groovy Arcade

The only reason I choose not to go with groovyarcade is because it’s not actively maintained and I had issues with networking not working. Since, there was been a single 2018 release from some one and perhaps its fixed? We need more people on the project to make it viable to switch from windows.

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
It can be done under linux by making AM boot with no de/wm ... also by making layouts/roms folders visible over the network (like retropie). Something like than anyway....

nevincho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
It can be done under linux by making AM boot with no de/wm ... also by making layouts/roms folders visible over the network (like retropie). Something like than anyway....

I'm using the 2018 version but there is still no network connection

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
ya i tried it before with no luckbutilltry again. still would be nice to see an attract mode os. i have tried damn neer every front end and this is the only one i can get to work ... now if only i could speed up things it would be better... mame has been taking like 30 seconds some times to load games... dont understand why. usually works fine at first but starts to take forever to load rom.

Win 7
12g ram

Favdeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 11:28:58 PM »
Maybe your storage medium is failing. It may be a good idea to check it or look at its S.M.A.R.T. status.

Does the delay also happen if you start mame directly?

You could start AM and/or mame from the console to see more messages and maybe any errors.

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 09:27:17 AM »
My Acer Aspire One, with Lubuntu 16.04, starts directly in Attract-Mode (in silent mode, no messages). It's not complicated. And everything works fine, until PSX, but no more than that ... It's an old notebook ...
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
My Acer Aspire One, with Lubuntu 16.04, starts directly in Attract-Mode (in silent mode, no messages). It's not complicated. And everything works fine, until PSX, but no more than that ... It's an old notebook ...

i would like to go as small as pozsible for an os. you think puppy linux would work?

Win 7
12g ram

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
Maybe your storage medium is failing. It may be a good idea to check it or look at its S.M.A.R.T. status.

Does the delay also happen if you start mame directly?

You could start AM and/or mame from the console to see more messages and maybe any errors.

actually i too think its failing. and ya in mame as well so im cloning it to an ssd.

Win 7
12g ram

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
Try Groovy Arcade

The only reason I choose not to go with groovyarcade is because it’s not actively maintained and I had issues with networking not working. Since, there was been a single 2018 release from some one and perhaps its fixed? We need more people on the project to make it viable to switch from windows.

lol... key words , 'switch from windows.' im working on it though.. and ya groovy was updated and seems to run but i cant seem to get to any cnfg file or menu... idk. ill have to do some more research i guess........

Win 7
12g ram

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 04:02:35 AM »

i would like to go as small as pozsible for an os. you think puppy linux would work?

I do not usually like that kind of distros because they are not persistent:

Wikipedia definition: "Persistence – in computer science refers to the characteristic of data that outlives the execution of the program that created it. Without this capability, data only exists in RAM, and will be lost when the memory loses power, such as on computer shutdown."
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero