Author Topic: AM hangs on exit from MAME  (Read 3856 times)

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
AM hangs on exit from MAME
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
Hey all,

I'm not sure what I did, but whereas AM used to work just fine when exiting from Mame, now, it hangs, and I have to open the task manager and kill AM. I'm almost positive I read something about this previously, but if I did, I can't remember the search terms, because I'm not seeing any results.

I'm running the latest AM with mame64 on Windows 10. AM is running in the default (fillscreen) window mode. But none of the modes work like they should -- even windowed hangs.

I'm attaching my mame.cfg and attract.cfg files, just in case someone can spot something weird in there, but they look pretty standard to me. Thanks for looking!

jdevane9

• View Profile
Re: AM hangs on exit from MAME
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »
You have to disable the "focus" feature in windows...  I had the same problem two weeks ago on a new machine I was putting together and first time using windows 10.  Once I killed that off, it works great.

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:38:13 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't seem to be it. (Unless there's more to turning it off than unchecking it?) I'm still getting the hang after exiting a game: the system doesn't return me to AM, it just sits there until I manually kill AM from Task Manager. Any other thoughts?

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
I tried deleting attract.cfg and letting AM rebuild it, but I still get the hang on exit. Mame works fine when running it through the command line or through the ui: it appears to be something with the way Mame and AM interact.

Any other thoughts? Help, please! Thanks!

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »
Me again. Still no idea what I need to do (or even try next) to fix this constant crashing after exiting from Mame. Has no one else run into this and managed to solve it? Thinking I might have to gut my AM install and start over. Ugh. :(

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
Try removing the "exit_hotkey    escape" from your mame.cfg. If that doesn't work let us know the exact version of AM you're using.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:18:06 PM by progets »

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:19:52 AM »
Thanks, progets. Removing the exit_hotkey line did not fix things: in fact, whether it's because of that or not, removing that line seemed to prevent AM from showing up in Task Manager at all -- I had to restart my machine to get it to close!

I'm using AM 2.5.1, and I'm happy to provide any other files or info that might assist in figuring this out. Thanks again!

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
Removing the exit_hotkey shouldn't cause any issues. After all, there isn't one there by default.

Remove the exit_key through the GUI, close AM, open AM and test again.
Code: [Select]
Configure-->Emulators-->MAME-->Exit Hotkey=<leave blank>

Using the exit_hotkey=esc with MAME has cause issues for others since that is the default MAME exit key. You can read about it here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2582.msg17613#msg17613
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:37:56 AM by progets »

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 02:24:16 PM »
Thanks again, progets, but nothing there made a difference in my setup. So I just downloaded AM again and set up a new folder. And now things seem to be working. I must have screwed something up, but I have no idea what! At least it's working again! I appreciate your time.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 12:35:50 AM »
I'm glad things are working how you want. It sounds like you just had a bad setting some where.