Author Topic: How do I remove emulators without deleting them (via config file?)  (Read 3596 times)

keithcorcoran

• View Profile
I officially googled for 30-45 mins and havent come up with anything.  :(

How can I remove emulators from the list on a retropie install without having to select each emulator individually, go into it and delete.

Is there a config file somewhere that lists all the emulators so I can just comment them out and un-comment them later when I want to add them back in?

I'm on a Pi as I assume that matters.

Thanks!

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do I remove emulators without deleting them (via config file?)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 05:21:47 PM »
Just leave them. A display can use an emulator. An emulator does not have to be in use.

If you must, you could always use the terminal and rename the files. I like to add the extension “.bak” to the existing filename. It reminds me that the file is a backup without loosing its original filename.

keithcorcoran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »
SO I leave them but when I move left-right it goes to each emulator listed in 'emulators' even though i never set them up or generated rom lists for them.

I tried deleting the .cfg files in "/opt/retropie/configs/all/attractmode/emulators"

But that didnt stop them from showing in the layout.

I edited attract.cfg in "/opt/retropie/configs/all/attractmode"

and that removed them from the left-right selection and also from the emulators list in Configure... but not form displays list in Configure... which I can live with.

Again, I don't mind leaving them but it seems like all the emulators that were installed with retropie were also installed when installing AM from experimental packages in retropie so I ended up with a bunch of blank systems in AM and only want 'arcade'

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:31:02 PM »
I do not use retropie, so I have no idea what they did. I can only tell you how attract mode is supposed to be.

Attract does not show emulators. Displays are shown. Displays are linked to a layout, an emulator (romlist), and filters. Perhaps they have display names set the same an an emulator name, making it confusing?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:32 PM »
I officially googled for 30-45 mins and havent come up with anything.  :(

How can I remove emulators from the list on a retropie install without having to select each emulator individually, go into it and delete.

Is there a config file somewhere that lists all the emulators so I can just comment them out and un-comment them later when I want to add them back in?

I'm on a Pi as I assume that matters.

Thanks!

Manually modify your attract.cfg file and set each display you don't want to see to "in_cycle             no" and "in_menu              no". You must stop AttractMode before changing this file.

attract.cfg example
Code: [Select]
display Atari 2600
layout               SpinLite
romlist              Atari 2600
in_cycle             no
in_menu              no
filter               All
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:01:23 PM by progets »

keithcorcoran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:35:12 AM »
thanks progets.
That's what I ended up doing and it seemed to work but the list is still visible in 'displays' but I can live with that.

Actually I can live with it in both places as long as I can change the order.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:31:16 AM »
thanks progets.
That's what I ended up doing and it seemed to work but the list is still visible in 'displays' but I can live with that.

Actually I can live with it in both places as long as I can change the order.

Systems appear in the order they are listed in the attract.cfg file.

keithcorcoran

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 07:17:14 PM »
in case anyone has this same question.. everything mentioned here worked if you want to edit the lists that show and I realized the difference between 'show in display' and 'show in cycle' 

thanks for your help gentlemen