Author Topic: Gamepad support docs?  (Read 3939 times)

dadcore

• View Profile
Gamepad support docs?
« on: April 13, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
Yello,

ON the About page for attract mode I've seen this blurb that mentions gamepad support:

hides the underlying operating system and is intended to be controlled with a joystick, gamepad or spin dial, making it ideal for use in arcade cabinets. Attract-Mode is open source and runs on Linux, OS X and Windows.

However I can't find any info specifically on gamepad support. I'm using Xbox 360 Controllers on OSX. At the moment I'm using an app called Joystick Mapper to just manually bind the d-pad and start buttons on the xbox controller to the up/down and enter keys on the keyboard.

But it's kind of a hassle/another moving part I'd rather not have to worry about. Just wondering if there is native Xbox 360 gamepad support, and if so how that works? I've dug around in the menu system and through the docs, also searched the forum, but haven't found anything.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gamepad support docs?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »
I know that Linux, Windows, and OSX all have 360 driver support. So, if you have the driver installed and the OS recognizes it, AM should detect your joystick input when you configure the control mappings. 

Not a mac guy, but the 360 driver can be downloaded from here. https://github.com/360Controller/360Controller

dadcore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »
I know that Linux, Windows, and OSX all have 360 driver support. So, if you have the driver installed and the OS recognizes it, AM should detect your joystick input when you configure the control mappings. 

Not a mac guy, but the 360 driver can be downloaded from here. https://github.com/360Controller/360Controller

Hmmm, it's just automatic? I have the 360 driver installed and am using it in other games fine, so the driver/gamepad is def. working.

Sure there isn't another step to configure/enable it?

Or maybe I have to do something in my layout.nut file to detect the input, or map it to an action? FWIW it's up/down on the d-pad plus start button I'm looking for.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
Run AM, hit the tab key then select controls. Now, you should be able to map your controls.

dadcore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
Run AM, hit the tab key then select controls. Now, you should be able to map your controls.

Okay thought I tried this, but also made several config changes since then. I don't have a gamepad on me ATM so will try tonight when I get home. Thanks for your help!

dadcore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »

Okay thought I tried this, but also made several config changes since then. I don't have a gamepad on me ATM so will try tonight when I get home. Thanks for your help!

ALL RIGHT IMMA DORK. I went through the control mapping like you said and everything works amazing. I somehow didn't grok how the control mapping worked right away, but once I spent a little time with it head met desk, and it was no problem.

Thanks for hand holding!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 06:19:46 PM »
Glad to help. ;D