Author Topic: Layout missing background  (Read 9211 times)

KTURNER

• View Profile
Layout missing background
« on: February 27, 2017, 05:04:28 AM »
I found a layout for Sega that I really like. Its called robospin-megadrive. I downloaded it on my laptop which has windows 8. I tested it and it worked great. When I went to put it on my windows 7 arcade the background will not show up. The video snaps, wheel art and pointer are there but the rest is not.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:08:49 AM by KTURNER »

cosmo

• View Profile
Re: Layout missing background
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:23:38 AM »
Hi, it's the one i made in this thread http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1300.0 ?

It's kinda weird the issue you talk about.  :P I usually test them in windows 10 and on my raspberry pi. I'm not sure if you are talking about the background (wallpaper) or the art (the tv, console, etc) but i will try to help. Try this:

-Redownload the file in case it was somehow corrupted
-make sure the files bkg.png, bkg2.png, robo.png and robo2.png are on the main folder of the layout
-in attract mode, go to options/displays/ and select the display in which you are using the layout. Make sure you have selected robospin-megadrive as the layout of the display.
-then go to 'layout options' and search the following options...
-in 'select bg image or panscan'... it should have 'blue' or 'retro' selected. change it if not.
-in 'select cab skin' it should have 'megadrive' or 'genesis' selected. change it if not.
-If it still doesn't work post here the layout.nut code and it'll look it, but it's kinda weird.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:43:43 AM »
For some reason all my issues are weird. I'll look at my setting when I get home. What's really weird it that I can have a/m on a thumb drive with the layout in the layout folder, run a/m off the thumb drive on my windows 7 computer at work and on my lap top at home and all is good. try to run it off of a thumb drive on my arcade and no good. I have had direct x update issues could this be the reason.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:56:19 AM »
This pc had windows xp 32 bit and I upgrade to windows 64 bit. Could this be the cause of some of my weird problems? Yes it is the robo, background and sonic image that are not showing up. They are in the file.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:43:56 AM by KTURNER »

cosmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
If it's working fine in one pc and it doesn't in another, i would say it could be some problem with your attract mode, not the layout, but i'm not sure. Try first what i've said and we'll see.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »
I didn't relize this is one you made. Thank you for making it. I like it better than any I have seen. I will try your suggestion.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »
I've tried everything and nothing has changed. I think it has to do with my pc. I just don't know were to start. I have tried the exact same folder on two other pcs and it works. Its my "game" folder with a/m and my roms + art work. It turns out the nes one you made does not work either. It works on my xp though. I don't think anything is wrong with your work. I think its my stupid computer.

cosmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Frankly, i don't know how can i help. Maybe it's something related to the resolution of your screen? my layouts are optimized for a 16:9 screen (specially for full hd) but they 'should' work in other resolutions. To tell the truth, i'm not the greatest expert in coding layouts. I'm just good at photoshop and self-taught to understand 'what' the code does (i have experience with xml files and it's not so different once you understand the functions).  It's just omegaman's robospin code. It could have some weird bug but i don't know ???

Try opening a thread in general and tell your problem. Maybe someone could tell what is going on.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 01:43:59 PM »
For someone not knowing much about coding you have done a outstanding job with these layouts. I will check my resolution. I did not think of that.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
I changed my resolution and still no go. Is there a way to change it in attract mode. This it what it looks like

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
This is a different theme but the problem is the same

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:12:16 AM »
I did some hard drive swapping and this is what I found. I am very new to computers other than what your average user does on a daily basis. I thought maybe this might help in figuring out my problem. The layouts that came with a/m all work fine. Its hyperspin and layouts users made that do not work.

DESKTOP PC  XP hard drive all layouts work (original hard drive)
                    WINDOWS 7 hard drive no layouts work

ARCADE        WINDOWS 7 hard drive no layouts work  (original hard drive converted from XP 32 bit to 7 64 bit)
                    XP hard drive no layouts work

All set to the same resoultion and using the same monitor

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:23 AM »
I'm sorry for bringing this up again but I am very frustrated with this. I know I can't be the only one with this issue. Layouts are missing layers on just about every one I have that did not come with the a/m download. I have it working on my desktop and my t/v pc so I don't believe I am doing anything wrong. I have been trying out cosmos because they are the best but its not just his I have issues with. I have changed resolution in windows and no difference. I changed the resolution of the image and no difference. I have put a lot of time into this and I don't have the money to buy a new pc. So if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Funkboy27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
I realize this a year out of date, but I had this same issue today and solved it.

For some reason, after a windows update, my display driver was uninstalled and I hadn’t even realized.  Hyperspin still worked, but attract mode had the same problem as you had.

I run an arcade VGA 5000. So I went on the ultimarc site, downloaded the latest driver, and installed it.

Backgrounds started appearing again.

Not sure if you solved this yourself, or if you gave up and moved on a long time ago.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 04:10:20 PM »
I ended getting a different pc. Windows 7 did not support my onboard graphics card so it was using a generic driver. I think that was my issue. Thanks for letting me know. Maybee this will help someone else too.