Author Topic: Can't seem to change game emulator once i have already assigned one?  (Read 19803 times)

Daveyo

• View Profile
I am setting up my Attract Mode and roms but have issues selecting emulators for each rom.

I drag all my MAME and FBA and create an ARCADE folder in roms dir.
I then make all emulators in Attract Mode look for roms in that folder (not sure if this step was necessary)
I then create a display called ARCADE and set the 'containing roms' from MAME (libretro).
I now have an Arcade display with all my arcade roms and then i go through and edit each game to be opened up in different emulators (AM game edit screen)
**This is where my problem lies - when launching roms i sometimes have to Press a button to configure and select different versions ie lr-fbalpha or pifba for that rom to work but i only get to make one choice before i can no longer select a different emulator for that game.
So basically if i start a game as FBA with lr-fbalpha and i want to see if it works in pifba, i then can't go back to lr-alpha??

What is happening here? Its driving me nuts.
Maybe im going the long way about this? I dont know....

Please help me attract-mode community, you're my only hope...

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't seem to change game emulator once i have already assigned one?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
You've left out a lot of information on how you have things setup. It sounds like you're using RetroPie. If you are using RetroPie, it will be easier to use the "runcommand" in RetroPie to setup games to launch with different emulators than to manually edit the games in Attract-Mode.

Daveyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »
Oh yes sorry I am using retropie... the reason why I'm setting it up in AM rather than run command is because I can see what games work on the fly rather than have to write it all in and then load only to find it doesn't work...

The main question is, why won't it set the emulator when I select it after launching a rom? It's like it's not writing to the config.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 11:20:47 PM »
Post your emulator.cfg files for the systems you're having issues with.

Daveyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:45:35 PM »
Where would I find them?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:00:50 AM »
/home/pi/.attract/emulators/

If you don't know Linux and want to access these over the network using Windows you can check out #6 here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1249.0.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:04:12 AM by progets »

Daveyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:04:37 AM »
Well this happens in every single emulator...

Does This help? This is the window I'm in and when I want to select lr-alpha it still doesn't change the emulator from pifba. This was working this morning but something must have changed?

Daveyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 12:06:58 AM »
sorry for the image size there....

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »
I understand the issue and I think it will be resolved by fixing your emulator.cfg files. In the first post you mentioned that you changed made changes to all emulators. If you can post them it will help.

Daveyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 12:55:05 AM »
I like your positive attitude :) Here are all the configs.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 01:54:37 AM »
Ok, I see your issue. You are using the RetroPie "runcommand" in Attract-Mode. You have a miss understanding on how it works.

When you use the "argument" field of the emulator.cfg with the run command it will use the RetroPie settings to show you your options for emulators. In the case of fba, there is only one emulator and that's why you don't see any options.

Here's what I'm looking at, your FBA.cfg:
Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.1
#
executable           /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
args                 0 _SYS_ fba "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade
romext               .zip;.fba
system               Arcade
info_source          thegamesdb.net
import_extras        /home/pi/.attract/mame-config
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/flyer
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/wheel

When you list "fba" in the "args" field it tells RetroPie to read the corresponding RetroPie emulator.cfg file. This file can be accessed over the network using \\retropie\configs\fba\emulators.cfg or from the command line at /opt/retropie/configs/fba/emulators.cfg.

If you are using the "arcade" rom folder you should only use one emulator file in Attract-Mode for all of your mame, fba, neogeo, etc. emulators. This way it will list all of the possible options for the "arcade" system which is located over the network using \\retropie\configs\arcade\emulators.cfg or from the command line at /opt/retropie/configs/arcade/emulators.cfg. This file will have all your options while the "fba" file will only list fba options, the "mame (libretro)" will only list mame (libretro) options, etc.

Make this arcade.cfg file and it should be all you need for everything and forget about the other files for mame/fba/etc.
Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.1
#
executable           /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
args                 0 _SYS_ arcade "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade
romext               .zip;.fba
system               Arcade
info_source          thegamesdb.net
import_extras        /home/pi/.attract/mame-config
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/flyer
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/wheel
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:08:12 AM by progets »

Daveyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 03:25:29 AM »
Wow THANKS!!! That's great now all my rom emulator options are in one place. This makes life a little easy and thank you for your effort with this.

However... I still have my initial problem that needs fixing.

Now when i select a game i get to choose what emulator will run it as i now have a choice of all of them. lets just say my first choice is lr-fbalpha and the game doesnt work. You would normally then try somthing like lr-mame2003 and see if that works right? Well unfortunately i get stuck on my first choice and i can change it after my initial choice. This was my problem from the start. If you can help me with this, i would even be more thankful! :)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:21 AM »
Wow THANKS!!! That's great now all my rom emulator options are in one place. This makes life a little easy and thank you for your effort with this.

However... I still have my initial problem that needs fixing.

Now when i select a game i get to choose what emulator will run it as i now have a choice of all of them. lets just say my first choice is lr-fbalpha and the game doesnt work. You would normally then try somthing like lr-mame2003 and see if that works right? Well unfortunately i get stuck on my first choice and i can change it after my initial choice. This was my problem from the start. If you can help me with this, i would even be more thankful! :)

I'm not certain I understand your issue. Please clarify: are you using the RetroPie "runcommand" to setup the emulators or the Attract-Mode game edit function to edit the emulator that launches the games? These are two different things and use two different methods to launch games. You need to use one or the other, you can't use both.

Are you sure that you're choosing option "2 Select emulator for ROM ()" when trying to set the emulator for a specific rom and not option "1 Select default emulator for arcade (<system>) which will change the default for all of the roms?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:46:58 AM by progets »

Daveyo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 05:32:58 AM »
Ok ill attach images that and steps.

So im in attract mode and I select game and then:
2. I 'press a button to configure'
3. I goto #2 to Select and emulator for ROM ()
4. I choose an emulator (in this case i choose mame4all)
5. It now shows the emulator is mame4all.

Now, mame4all doesnt work with Bubbob so normally you would then go back to #2 to Select and emulator for ROM () and chose another. My problem is that by this time i can no longer change my emulator to anything else. I can select the emulators but it doesn't change my emulator to my new selection.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
Ok so you change the default emulator for that rom. (Option 2) Not the emulator for all roms I take it. (option 1)
Option one will make all your arcade games in that list use for example advmame. If however a rom does not work with advance mame (because of the wrong mame set) then you can use say final burn alpha.

Example:

I use advnace mame for MOST of my roms. IT just works better for me. However Final Burn alpha will run my neo geo and my cps3 games much better. Now I could just put neo geo and my cp3 games in my final burn alpha folder and use that..easy. But now I have to switich systemys and stuff. I don't want to do that. So I dump all my roms in to my arcade folder then I start any neogeo roms (or cps3) press a button..the menu pops up I choose option 2 and set it to fba, then launch to test it. So now Everything is in one list however when I choose a game it will start the correct emulator.

If I choose pacman or dokey kong it will use advance mame. If I start a neogeo game it will start final burn alpha.

if it doesn't work then you choose option 3 that clears the setting and makes it go back to the default you have set..in my case advmame.

If your roms are not working that means you do not have the right set of roms for that emulator. Advmame and mame4all use a very old set of roms.

More on that here.. https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/MAME

People want life easy..then complain about it