Author Topic: In Emulation Station MAME rom Names appear OK; in AM it's using the .zip names ?  (Read 8195 times)

pibuilder

• View Profile
I had a FULL MAME .78 List which I ended up taking out the clones / no mahjong / no adult / etc... My list can still be trimmed down and I'd like to do that however In Emulation Station MAME list Game Names appear as they should; in Attract Mode however this is where I'm having an issue  it's using the .zip names & not only that but they aren't completely in alphabetical order either.  How can I fix this issue?

as an example:

Emulation Station MAME LIST game names appear properly / as they should (In Alphabetical Order):
Alien Syndrome
Arch Rivals
Ghouls N' Ghosts
Tetris

Attract Mode MAME List:
aliensyn
archrivl
atetris
ghouls

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

hermine.potter

• View Profile
@ pibuilder
You're using an RPI?
I'm using a Windows System. But I think it's the same steps:

start AM > press TAB key > choose your displayname of mame (in my case : mame) > on 'Info Source/Scraper' choose : listxml > Generate Collection/Rom List

After this, I've got the correct names (instead of filenames)

And here are my display settings of emulator system mame
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:09:45 PM by hermine.potter »
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

akafox

• View Profile
I have to +1 hermine here that is usually the problem in this case 99.6% of the time..even I forget from time to time.
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have to +1 hermine here that is usually the problem in this case 99.6% of the time..even I forget from time to time.

You wrote this http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1764.msg12450#msg12450 which I have linked in the Pi FAQ mentioned earlier in the thread.

I understand on a Windows or Linux install with a full MAME install "listxml" is the way to go but the way that RetroPie works (his name is pibuilder and he mentions EmulationStation) is a bit different.

pibuilder

• View Profile
@ pibuilder
You're using an RPI?
I'm using a Windows System. But I think it's the same steps:

start AM > press TAB key > choose your displayname of mame (in my case : mame) > on 'Info Source/Scraper' choose : listxml > Generate Collection/Rom List

After this, I've got the correct names (instead of filenames)

And here are my display settings of emulator system mame

Yes I'm using an RPI3B+ I anticipate on placing it within a dedicated arcade cabinet. Unfortunately this didn't seem to work & I followed exact instructions from your post... As you can see the problems still present as an example of these games etc..as you can see the bottom text shows the MAME .ZIP name not the game name still:

I followed the exact instructions still didn't fix / resolve my issue:

Also when I go to
WinSCP

it doesn't look like it generated any .xml file etc, I know it would be under the "L's" as list.xml but it claims within ATTRACT MODE that the list was generated however I still have the same issues it's still showing the mame .zip file names. I see another link to another method I'm going to try that as an alternative to getting these to show properly within attract mode.

Again though I'm using MAME .78u lite set pus neo geo plus dragson's lair, along with mame 2003. I'm NOT USING Advance Mame. I don't even have advance mame installed on my retroPi.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:43:43 AM by pibuilder »

akafox

• View Profile
*facepaws*oh yeah..DUH!  ::)

okay pibuilder you CAN NOT use the listxml option to make a list on the pi...retroarch cores do NOT have that option. You MUST use a "real" emulator (in this case advance mame) because it has a list xml to build a proper list from.

How ever...

You SHOULD be able t0 build one making sure that you are connected to thin internet and you choose the games.db as a source for information. Note that if the games.db is down for ANY reason..you're toast..(i.e. no list). The best thing to do like  progets said is to try my method http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1764.msg12450

pibuilder

• View Profile
*facepaws*oh yeah..DUH!  ::)

okay pibuilder you CAN NOT use the listxml option to make a list on the pi...retroarch cores do NOT have that option. You MUST use a "real" emulator (in this case advance mame) because it has a list xml to build a proper list from.

How ever...

You SHOULD be able t0 build one making sure that you are connected to thin internet and you choose the games.db as a source for information. Note that if the games.db is down for ANY reason..you're toast..(i.e. no list). The best thing to do like  progets said is to try my method http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1764.msg12450

Still confused getting this working... can I download from windows onto my desktop Advance MAME; somehow just drag & drop a file (.xml file it produces ?) into my RPI3B+ Using WinSCP ? I tried this already as Attract Mode doesn't seem to care about .xml files within my rom folder. Still not really clear on this process, or do I need to exit out of Attract Mode, go back into Emulation Station, Download under experimental packages Advance Mame on the RPI3B+ At that point I'm still confused about what to do.

akafox

• View Profile
You need to install advance mame you can not pull the xml out of it and use it.

Here is your problem... to generate an xml file (at least in mame) you call mame FIRST then add the command option to make it spit out the xml.

So you MUST point attract mode to the mame executable and then it reads the xlm inside the exe (sort of)

So yes:
1.download and install advance mame on to your pi using the retropie menu.
2. edit the mame/arcade/ emulator config file (example arcade.cfg) you can edit it directly from the pi or through ssh

follow my guide link above.

if you are still stuck...

if there is no exe file (or bin in this case for linux) then you CAN NOT generate a list because again when you generate the list using the option..it looks for the executable so that it can make it cough up the xml...no executable no xml period.
That is how most (if not all) emulators generate the names list..the mame core is not a "real" executable..thus not xml..or long file name list (dkong instead of donkey kong)

That being said..are you connected to the internet when you generate your list? if you are before you generate your list..make sure you are conected to the internet and change the info source to the gamesdb.net..NOW try to generate your list it SHOULD work...

if you can not get on line with your pi (and I assume you can) or the gamesbd is down for whatever reason...THEN you can try the "hard way" as a last resort (following my guide)

another option is to set up attract mode on your PC and download advance mame and set up attract mode to use advance mame as the executable, tell it where your roms are, and then use the listxml as a source. you can then copy the game list over to the pi and overwrite the old one

if you are still stuck let me know

pibuilder

• View Profile
You need to install advance mame you can not pull the xml out of it and use it.

Here is your problem... to generate an xml file (at least in mame) you call mame FIRST then add the command option to make it spit out the xml.

So you MUST point attract mode to the mame executable and then it reads the xlm inside the exe (sort of)

So yes:
1.download and install advance mame on to your pi using the retropie menu.
2. edit the mame/arcade/ emulator config file (example arcade.cfg) you can edit it directly from the pi or through ssh

follow my guide link above.

if you are still stuck...

if there is no exe file (or bin in this case for linux) then you CAN NOT generate a list because again when you generate the list using the option..it looks for the executable so that it can make it cough up the xml...no executable no xml period.
That is how most (if not all) emulators generate the names list..the mame core is not a "real" executable..thus not xml..or long file name list (dkong instead of donkey kong)

That being said..are you connected to the internet when you generate your list? if you are before you generate your list..make sure you are conected to the internet and change the info source to the gamesdb.net..NOW try to generate your list it SHOULD work...

if you can not get on line with your pi (and I assume you can) or the gamesbd is down for whatever reason...THEN you can try the "hard way" as a last resort (following my guide)

another option is to set up attract mode on your PC and download advance mame and set up attract mode to use advance mame as the executable, tell it where your roms are, and then use the listxml as a source. you can then copy the game list over to the pi and overwrite the old one

if you are still stuck let me know

OK before I proceed...  Apparently I didn't realize but I already have "advance mame 1.4 installed" is that correct because I also see advance mame as well as advance mame 0.94. Prior to proceeding I don't want to confuse my pi / software by adding other versions that's not needed.

Forgetting about me having that software installed even IF it's what's needed I looked at your other post and it really doesn't help me I'm still stuck.  If I can get a step by step of what to do I'd appreciate it.

also I looked at this means nothing to me it's not really explained well enough I appologize
"# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.1
#
executable           /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
args                 0 _SYS_ arcade  "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade
romext               .zip
system               Arcade
info_source          listxml
import_extras        /home/pi/.attract/mame-config"

I don't see that file : "That is part of your mame (Advance).cfg above.." or where can I locate it within WinSCP ? I would imagine it's somewhere here ?? :

Again I can surf through WinSCP and find config files etc, I just need to know what needs to be done to properly generate the game list I don't understand why it's so frustrating to do such a simple task.

I think I might of found the .cfg I need.... but still confused what I gotta do with it lol ?

YES YES YES YES YES!!!! Finally ! WORKING ! THANKS GUYS For helping me out !

*Still I'd like to remove the parentheses / brackets from the rom list names is that easy to do ? If not I won't screw with as it doesn't bother me THAT much but I don't need to know in other words would like to remove the (US) VERSION / (World Version) as an example on Bubble Bobble 2 :

Also to note the odd thing is that I have 1600+/- games / roms within the rom folder prior to utilizing this method and I think it said the list it "generated" was 3,000+ ? makes no sense as I only have 1600 playable games.

Also the "marquee" folder is JAM PACKED with thousands of games but lots seem to be missing withing Attract Mode. I downloaded the 1.5gig file from emumovies. Why do I have so many missing marquees when that file is gigantic should have all of them ? But they aren't all showing up ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:38:29 PM by pibuilder »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
*Still I'd like to remove the parentheses / brackets from the rom list names is that easy to do ? If not I won't screw with as it doesn't bother me THAT much but I don't need to know in other words would like to remove the (US) VERSION / (World Version) as an example on Bubble Bobble 2 :

Configure-->General-->Hide Brackets in Game Titles = Yes

Also to note the odd thing is that I have 1600+/- games / roms within the rom folder prior to utilizing this method and I think it said the list it "generated" was 3,000+ ? makes no sense as I only have 1600 playable games.

Are you sure you don't have a Global Filter or another filter applied? You can look to see in the attract.cfg file or post that file here if you're not sure.

Also the "marquee" folder is JAM PACKED with thousands of games but lots seem to be missing withing Attract Mode. I downloaded the 1.5gig file from emumovies. Why do I have so many missing marquees when that file is gigantic should have all of them ? But they aren't all showing up ?

You can look look to see if the rom file names match the image file names in the folder you have defined. You can also look at the console/command line after you exit AM and see any errors or issue locating or loading the image files.

pibuilder

• View Profile
well my problems just got worse to some degree... As you can notice in some of my above posts on the top left corner of the rom count it shows 1652, when I made these changes it double to 3285 HALF the set is perfect, No Brackets / Proper Names for the roms as they should be the other half it's like I'm starting from scratch all over no clue why it's doubling the amount of roms within the list / folder only truly has 1652 games.

Great names show as they should no brackets etc in this photo... but MAJOR problem below my roms doubled half WRONG!

Here you can see once I get past 1652 roms starting again (rom list is doubled) this half I need to REMOVE ! The naming convention is all wrong... I just went backwards I feel.

Progets " Are you sure you don't have a Global Filter or another filter applied? You can look to see in the attract.cfg file or post that file here if you're not sure."

I have no clue

pibuilder

• View Profile
& NOW NONE OF MY GAMES LAUNCH. Forgetting about having a doubled up list with some in the proper name convention and some still having their .zip file names I started out with everything working now none of my games launch ! I get black & white text really fast & it's not launching any game !

I already changed back "/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh" I just simply don't get it.

**edit when I hit "CTRL+ALT+DELETE" ON Key board, it restarted the pi / launched back Attract Mode after a reboot & games are now WORKING (Still double list needs to be fixed), how do I remove this info screen that shows up literally for a half second when launching the games:

**I'm still plauged with having a DOUBLED ROM wheel list with half of it looking perfect & the other half right where I started though. So this is more critical than anything else at this point.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:51:32 AM by pibuilder »

pibuilder

• View Profile
OK so if any one else runs into this issue I figured out at least a way to resolve & fix it without going bananas. I simply went into WinSCP once it generated that large .txt rom list I figured I would be able to find it and modify it keeping the proper / corrected names which is the entire purpose of this thread.

With that being said for posperity the file that's needed to do so is located
/opt/retropie/configs/all/attractmode/romlists/

the file I needed was "arcade.txt" within that folder.

My text had over 3045 lines of code (Due to the fact that it was generating the MAME .XML and well I can't explain but I managed to fix it). Within the .txt file / the "Rom List" sure enough some were short .zip file names (the roughly 1500+ problems), the others perfectly alphabetized using the games names... I figured it would work If I had just deleted the wrong text and saved the file within WinSCP sure enough it worked like a charm. Not only are my roms now cut down to size they are finally properly named / in order! I also used this method to easily implement Dragon's Lair into my MAME Wheel / Arcade Wheel, being that I had it working within Daphne, I wanted it working / displayed on my MAME wheel as I consider it an Arcade game.. I was able to modify the text and place it exactly where I wanted to. I did the same thing for Mortal Kombat II & Mortal Kombat 3 as you can see here (this is what a portion of the romlist txt file looks like):

which was really irritating me as it showed those two titles in the wrong order within the "wheel/ game list on attract mode". I simply moved the text around and BAM Displayed & Working as it should FINALLY !!

It's going to be mighty tedious but I need to correct the marquees which I'm missing lots, but that's just easy cosmetics. The rest of what I'm looking to do I think is just polish. Appreciate you guys being helpful & patient hope this post might help someone else that uses this method and doubles up their rom's etc this is also an incredibly EASY way to transfer games from one display / layout to the other aka Dragon's Lair on a Daphne Display to have it be incorporated into a MAME Wheel, super simple this way.

akafox

• View Profile
Well that was my fault then.. I assumed it would overwrite your old list and not append to it...

Easiest way to fix the would have been just to delete your list (arcade.txt) as a file (no need to open and erase just delete it) and then let AM rebuild the list from scratch.