Author Topic: Attract Mode Freezing  (Read 4804 times)

nmac48

• View Profile
Attract Mode Freezing
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:30:36 AM »
I posted a similar question a few days ago and got some feedback,  but it looks like a May have asked the wrong question.   It first appeared to me that attract mode was freezing at the game selection screen when I would exit a game.  It was suggested that I set the RESFIX plugin.  I now have RESFIX set.  What I'm noticing now is that AM freezes or Hangs (after sitting idle for a while) at the game selection screen.  The only way out is ALT/CTRL/DEL and force AM close.  I can then restart and all is well until I let AM sit idle and then it freezes again.

I'm running WIN xp sp3 and am using the recent version of AM.

Any ideas?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attract Mode Freezing
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:34:08 PM »
If you're using videos, specific videos can cause an issue if your don't have the right codex and/or the latest video drivers for your graphics card.

Are you using the "screen saver" mode? That cause issue with the videos as well when left idle.

nmac48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »
I did think of that and I set the Screen saver timer to 0 to disable it.  I then set all the other option to NO or NONE.   I do have a short intro video that plays when I first start up AM.  It plays fine and loads into AM fine.  I can then select a game and play just fine.  It's just when I walk away from the arcade and leave AM running.  When I come back, the AM home screen is almost always frozen until I ALT/CTRL/DEL.   I'll disable the intro movie and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the tip

nmac48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »
Just as a follow-up.  Enabling or disabling the intro video made no difference with AM freezing.  Not really sure what else to try.  I do like the frontend.  It's just kind of annoying that it freezes up nearly every time I use it.  Once I restart it, it works long enough to go through and select a game but usually within 30 minutes to an hour it freezes again.

I even thought the main PC screen saver might be the cause, but I've had it disabled for over a week now and it also had no affect.

Any other ideas?

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
nmac48-

XP and later versions have a setting called Data Execution Prevention (DEP) under system>advanced tab. Try turning it off or vice versa to see if that makes a difference.

1. Click Start.
2. Select Control Panel.
3. Select System.
4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. In the Performance region, select Settings.
6. Click the Data Execute tab in the dialog box that opens.
7. Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select.
8. Click Add.
9. The open dialog box will open. Browse and select your application.
10. Click Open
11. Click Apply
12. Click Ok
13. Reboot