Author Topic: Which Attract Mode to use for home t.v.?  (Read 3638 times)

Esloudan

• View Profile
Which Attract Mode to use for home t.v.?
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:44:51 AM »
I have a Windows pc with attractmode set up. Everything is fine but Im  wondering what the difference in the attractmode for windows is. One says attract mode the other says console version. Would it be better for a t.v. set up?

hermine.potter

• View Profile
Re: Which Attract Mode to use for home t.v.?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:00 AM »
@Esloudan
the console version of AM, shows a console in background. It's good for trouble shooting

better : depends on your requierements of emulation. If you don't need / want to see the console => don't use console version of AM

AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:24:33 AM »
They shouldn’t be packaged separately in my opinion. :o

1. Download both versions.
2. Unpack the regular version to your disk.
3. Unpack attract.exe from the console version.
4. Rename attract.exe from the console version to attract-console.exe.
5. Move attract-console.exe to your attract folder.

Now you have both versions co-existing. Use attract.exe in „production“ environment when you want no console window shown. Use attract-console.exe when you need the console to debug, or have to use a command line function like "attract --build-romlist mame —full".

Esloudan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 04:34:29 AM »
Thank you. Its really not needed for me then. Thought it might have been more to it. Thanks for the info.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
Thank you. Its really not needed for me then. Thought it might have been more to it. Thanks for the info.

I hope you have a split or non-merged romset. Your going to run into an issue with merged and running clone roms because you cant create a full romlist without the console.

The non-console and console split is silly. You can easily create the app and hide/enable console with a param and one tiny function added to the source code. If my dev environment was windows, I would probably tackle this. Can still use the regular version with launch-app to suppress the console window, but its just as easy to include both versions of attract.

Esloudan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
My mame is a custom set i stumbled across online. Id share link but dont wanna get in trouble. Only issue ive snagged into is ms dos games. I cant get them to show in attract mode. Cant put them in same fold like drive/roms/pc/dostitle.exe cause some games have same file names in them. I gotta put them like retropie style. Drive/roms/pc/dostitle/dostitle.exe
Other than that i been rocking attractmode on a portable usb drive. Long as i use same controllers it works going from pc to pc. I did what keilmillerjr said to do. I like it like that. If u need the console for anything its there and fully functional but default u run it without. Thanks for pointing that out to me. And thanks everyone for the help and info.