Author Topic: Can you make attract mode open on a second monitor only?  (Read 5981 times)

buttersoft

• View Profile
Can you make attract mode open on a second monitor only?
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:14:38 AM »
I've got a Win 7 PC that's running two cabs, the second being a sit-down driver. I want to make the standup cab run attract mode, but to do this and have everything work, i need attract mode to open in fullscreen on monitor 2. Is it possible to do that?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:19:25 AM by buttersoft »

buttersoft

• View Profile
Re: Can you make attract mode open on a second monitor only?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 06:29:23 PM »
I'm still interested in a way to do this within attractmode, but for now will be using Actual Multiple Monitors (at least until the trial runs out).

This will send Attract mode to monitor 2, but needs exceptions set up for MAME, model 2, Supermodel and WinUAE - this way Mame can open where i want, as will WinUAE, and Model 2 and Supermodel will go fullscreen automatically on Monitor 1.

Essentially i needed Model 2 to open on monitor 1 because AMM couldn't force it into fullscreen on monitor 2. It can do that with Supermodel, but...

Forcing something to another monitor won't change res in the emulator, of course - it just scales the screen to whatever res that monitor is on. So If i had Supermodel running at 320x240 (or whatever resolution it opens at on monitor 1, and forced it onto monitor 2 that was set to 640x480, it would scale to the new res and look really bad while at the same time still flickering. I'm not sure how accurate any 480i to 480i transition is, whether perfectly aligned or not, but Attract Mode can take one for the team - and anyway still looks fine when doing this as both screens are set to 480i.

Now to dive into Demul :)

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:52:20 PM »
use the builtin commandline tool: displayswitch.exe to clone your screens on demand, deactivate monitors, etc...

Code: [Select]
c:\displayswitch.exe /clone

buttersoft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
use the builtin commandline tool: displayswitch.exe to clone your screens on demand, deactivate monitors, etc...

c:\displayswitch.exe /clone

Hmmm. Not... quite. I don't necessarily want to clone the displays, and that's the best option i can see there. I want one thing on one screen, and an altogether different thing to load up on the other. The user can then pick, if I do things right. Unless internal/external represent different displays on a desktop card? But can you make that displayswitch work with a specific program?

Still, I'll keep that one in mind for future needs, so thanks for posting :)

buttersoft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 04:52:01 AM »
Oddly enough i wanted to clone the desktop recently on a different setup, and  it doesn't work with MAME. GroovyMAME will only open one one monitor, regardless of what the windows desktop is doing. In addition to which, you can't pick the monitor - when using cloned desktops, it always goes to the primary. Weird.

I haven't tried using displayswitch.exe to do the cloning yet; is it doing anything differently?

Also, a fix for the original problem would be awesome. Or just a better workaround...

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:58:49 PM »
I don't know GroovyMAME, but if it's like any other mame variant you have to add this to the mame config (or edit existing):

#
# PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                    screen1

Keep in mind that screen1 means your SECONDARY MONITOR, because your primary monitor is screen0

====

mame config = mame.ini file that sits in mame folder
if it's not there you can create empty txt file and paste only the code above

buttersoft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 04:26:00 AM »
MAME is easy, but i want Attract Mode to open on the monitor i specify before that.

Thanks for jumping in though, the more people that look the more likely i am to get there :)

EDIT: Oh the cloned stuff. Well, I'm having a weird issue there. Hoping Calamity can help.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:29:34 AM by buttersoft »