Author Topic: [download] NEVATO theme  (Read 287094 times)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: [download] NEVATO theme
« Reply #285 on: February 09, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »
Personally I'd be very happy if the skewing when preserving the snap aspect ratio would work better.
That will be something that I want to address in next release.

I'm using scrollingtext but it's not showing up as bright as the non scrolling test.
I have no experience with scrollingtext - sorry.

ilikecheese9000

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2017, 12:00:14 AM »
I figured my problem. I had the 1024x1024 max error. The cabinet image in both the original and low res folders was set to 1080x1080. I lowered those to 1024x1024 and the theme is looking good.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2017, 12:19:17 AM »
I'm glad you succeeded.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:21:17 AM by verion »

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
@verion

It's probably an AM issue but maybe you'd know of a solution for this:
I have roms in No-Intro naming convention and I have a bunch of snap in either png and mp4 which show fine usually when it's the (USA) version because the rom and snap name are a perfect match, but the (Europe) or anything else version for that matter isn't found and I get a black screen. Is there anyway to make it use snap from another region if a matching one isn't found?
I've been thinking about using symbolic links some my cabinet is running Linux, but if there's a more elegant solution I'd be all for that.
Thanks.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
I'm sorry, I can't help - I'm using only mame. Please ask in GENERAL or EMULATORS if it's related to particular emulator.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2017, 01:57:52 AM »
Hello folks,

I like this theme very much. The only issue I have is that it only displays a nameless placeholder if there is no wheel art for the particular game.

Is there a way that the theme would display the game's name in normal text instead? It may be ugly but still better than not knowing which game is selected, especially if it hasn't a marquee either.

I have only shallow knowledge of squirrel, but I don't shy away from editing the nut file with a little help from others.

Thanks
Favdeacon

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2017, 06:42:41 AM »
My solution to missing wheels was low tech: I created a bash script that generated the missing images with the text on it using ImageMagic, and stored them in a wheels-missing folder that I added to my configs.
That is a Linux only solution.
If it could be done in the theme itself, that would be great.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2017, 07:16:10 AM »
My solution to missing wheels was low tech: I created a bash script that generated the missing images with the text on it using ImageMagic, and stored them in a wheels-missing folder that I added to my configs.

Yes, I played with that idea too as an alternative to a direct solution.

That is a Linux only solution.

I happen to use Linux, too (Kubuntu 14.04). Care to share? :)

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »
Here's the bash script I use.
It should be pretty straight forward.
You need ImageMagick installed from http://www.imagemagick.org
it most likely have a package for Ubuntu already to go.
After a bunch of trial and errors I settled on the Helsinki font: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/helsinki which shows nicely on the wheel.
You can replace it with whatever you want.
It put the create wheels in wheel-missing folder as to not mess with the real ones. You need to add that folder to your emulator's configuration.
Let me know if you have any questions running it.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
   echo Usage $0 [emulator]
   exit 1
fi

if [ ! -d "$HOME/.attract/scraper/$1" ]; then
   echo ERROR: no \"$1\" emulator found in ~/.attract/scraper/
   exit 2
fi

echo Create missing wheel artwork if one is missing in $1

OldIFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n'

gamesArray=($(cat "$HOME/.attract/romlists/$1.txt"))

numberWheel=0
numberGames=0

for gameData in ${gamesArray[@]}; do
    IFS=';'; gameInfo=($gameData); unset IFS;
    #Name;Title;Emulator;CloneOf;Year;Manufacturer;Category;Players;Rotation;Control;Status;DisplayCount;DisplayType;AltRomname;AltTitle;Extra;Buttons
    #echo game=\"${gameInfo[0]}\", title=\"${gameInfo[1]}\", year=\"${gameInfo[4]}\", clone=\"${gameInfo[3]}\", rotation=\"${gameInfo[8]}\", category=\"${gameInfo[6]}\", status=\"${gameInfo[10]}\"
    game=${gameInfo[0]}
    title="${gameInfo[1]}"
    if [[ "${game}" == "#"* ]]; then
       continue
    fi
    if [ "${gameInfo[3]}" != "" ]; then
       echo game=\"${gameInfo[0]}\", title=\"${gameInfo[1]}\", year=\"${gameInfo[4]}\", clone=\"${gameInfo[3]}\", rotation=\"${gameInfo[8]}\", category=\"${gameInfo[6]}\", status=\"${gameInfo[10]}\"
    fi
    let "numberGames = numberGames + 1"
    if [[ ! -f "./wheel/${game}.png" ]] && [[ ! -f ~/.attract/scraper/$1/wheel/${game}.png ]]; then
        if [ ! -d "$HOME/.attract/scraper/$1/wheel-missing" ]; then
           echo Creating folder for missing wheels for $1
           mkdir "$HOME/.attract/scraper/$1/wheel-missing"
        fi
        wheel="$HOME/.attract/scraper/$1/wheel-missing/${game}.png"
        echo Creating \"${wheel}\" for \"${gameInfo[0]}\": \"${gameInfo[1]}\" from ${gameInfo[4]}
        convert -size 400x150 -background transparent -fill yellow -stroke black -strokewidth 3 -gravity center -font Helsinki caption:"${title}" png8:"${wheel}"
        let "numberWheel = numberWheel + 1"
    fi
done

IFS=${OldIFS}

echo Created ${numberWheel} wheels for ${numberGames} games.
echo Done.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »
Thank you very much! It worked after I changed the font name in line 43 to "Helsinki-Regular", because otherwise convert didn't find it. (@all: You can list all available fonts with the command convert -list font)

I also inserted the following lines between line 31 and 32 to generate the wheels only for good and imperfect (i.e. working) games:

Code: [Select]
    if [ "${gameInfo[10]}" != "good" -a "${gameInfo[10]}" != "imperfect" ]; then
       continue
    fi

It works fine now. I'll see if I like the text colour and maybe change it to my liking.

edit: Your default yellow looks good. No need to change it.  8)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:21:07 PM by Favdeacon »

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for this awesome theme.   IMO, this is the best and nicest looking theme available for AM here in the forums.  I show it to all my friends and they get blown away because it's so sleek looking in action!  Looking forward to "The Eye" next!

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
ohh yaaaa...when is the eye theme going to coming out,
haven't herd any updates at all?
help a friend....

Asterra

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
Personally I'd be very happy if the skewing when preserving the snap aspect ratio would work better.
That will be something that I want to address in next release.
Came here to see if anyone had tried their hand at making this theme preserve the aspect ratio.  Didn't suspect it was due to a basic limitation.  Makes me wonder whether a workaround could be had, by gauging aspect ratio and basing the skewing directly on that.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #298 on: June 16, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
Yes, there is a simple solution - making a video/snap window a surface and skew the surface. But I've decided to not make it like that - because using surfaces hurts performance on Rpi and has a bug on mac - it starts with black screen.

Keep in mind that this a problem with vertical snaps - for horizontal snaps it should be perfectly skewed

---

I'll figure out how to do it - it's added to to-do list, I simply haven't the time to work on that.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:13:52 AM by verion »

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 17, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »
@Favdeacon ah good idea to only make generate wheels for working games.
What distro do you use?
The font shows up as Helsinki for me. Not a huge deal though, it could be greped from the output of convert-list font or set at the constant near the top with a comment for future users.