Author Topic: Help for newbie coming over from hyperspin  (Read 3744 times)

Martin0037

• View Profile
Help for newbie coming over from hyperspin
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:36:33 AM »
Hi all.  Just joined the forum as I’m wanting to use attract mode (pc version) instead of hyperspin for just mame as I’m sick of the bugs it has and continually freezing up!  Been using it for two years now but I’ve had enough. 

I’ve no idea where to start here being used to hyperspin,  would be good if I could keep the wheel.  I’m struggling to get attract mode up and running firstly.  The emulator I’ve got set up and running on my cab is mameuifx but when I try and launch a game from attrcatbmode it brings up the emulator window. No idea.

Any help is approximated.
Thanks.

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
Re: Help for newbie coming over from hyperspin
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:14:48 AM »
ok first things first...
need a copy of your config
your rig specs
and what not.

(example)
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.3.0
#
executable           F:\arcade crap\arcade stuff\mame for testing roms\mame64.exe
args                 [name]
rompath              F:\arcade crap\arcade stuff\mame for testing roms\roms
romext               .zip;.7z;<DIR>
system               Arcade
info_source          listxml
artwork    flyer           
artwork    marquee         
artwork    snap           
artwork    wheel   

but we will get you up and running.

personally i would switch to mame64 with nonag ive had LOTS of problems with the ui versions.(but thats just me)
ive built 3 cabs and use the exact same atrract and mame and daphne nes snes atari2600 files and mine work FLAWLESSLY.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:17:54 AM by toothlessgrinn »
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »
If your HyperSpin build uses RocketLauncher you might want to check out this thread http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2401.msg16418#msg16418.

Martin0037

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
Thanks for replying guys. 

Out at minute but I’ll get info tomorrow. Need to set up alerts though for this forum as I’d no idea I’d had some replies.

Martin0037

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:00 PM »
One thing I’d like to be able to do though is pretty much transfer everything like mame over to attract mode as the emulator is already setup and configured for my cab and it’s a pain in the arse setting it back up,  having said that if it’s prob only controls I’d need to setup it’s not that bad...  but with hyperspin I’d hid most of the wheel art, as removing it from the folder stops it showing up on the wheel,  for games you don’t want, rather than going through and deleting every rom. Also, hyperspin had a option to only show parent roms,  this way you don’t get duplicates of each game on the wheel.      Will attract mode do this?

My pc specs are
Win7 64
8gb ram
Intergrated graphics.
Runs spot on with mame, just hyperspin is a pain in the arse and occasionally freezes. Mame runs flawless.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
Also, hyperspin had a option to only show parent roms,  this way you don’t get duplicates of each game on the wheel.      Will attract mode do this?

Yes, this is a simple filter in AttractMode.
Code: [Select]
Configure-->Displays-->MAME-->Global Filter-->Add Rule
Target = CloneOf
Comparison = not equals
Filter Value = .*

Post your \HyperSpin\Settings\MAME.ini file. It should contain all the information to get MAME working with AttractMode.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:34:29 PM »
Helped Martin resolve some issues. He asked I post to share what I did.

There is no artwork in use. Default theme attract-man. Video (screen, remember there is no artwork) would be choppy and sometimes hang. Mame would launch, but be running in the background. Mame launched fine from terminal. The choppiness was verified from martin watching, so we can rule out remote connection lag.

• Installed video drivers. He has AMD Radeon Vega integrated video. Ran the am tool to automatically find and install drivers found here. Yielded no changes.
  • Turned off fast user switching (win 10 home) by using regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System -> new -> DWORD (32-bit) -> HideFastSwitching -> 1. This was recommended for my remote connection.
  • Changed video resolution to 1280x720. This was below the recommended setting, which was some whacky resolution. I have no idea why it caused an issue with attractmode, but it 100% resolved the issue.
  • Video decoding to dxva2. I didn’t try it on software setting after machine was working correctly. Previously changing it to wither option would yield no result, so the fix was due to other issues.