Author Topic: Seeing Desktop on OS X when launching & ending games  (Read 27314 times)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: Seeing Desktop on OS X when launching & ending games
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »
I've attached screencast video to show how it works.
It is with your latest .nut

recorded sequence: start AM - run the game - wait until info screen - press ESC - return to AM

I didn't noticed it earlier, but menu is flashing when launching the game, but also when returning from game.
Strange thing - when returning from game the menubar is from last used app BEFORE launching AM.
In video you can see ScreenFlow app (a screen recording app), but I've recorded screen twice - and the second time it was other app that was used before AM.

[attachment deleted by admin]

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 04:12:26 AM »
renamed black wallpaper to splash.png
normal speed + slow motion in video

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 04:38:01 AM »
Odd, that its active over the splash screen. Hmm... is there any tricks that you can try on mac like setting up a control key to zoom in on the desktop just enough to hide the menu? Just as a temporary fix until a better solution is found. Maybe raygun can take a look at the apple SDK kit and come up with a solution.

Well, I guess I'll strip that code out of the script now since it didn't make any different at all and re-release it with new changes. How did you like the new changes? I still need to add a few more enhancements.   

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 05:04:15 AM »
I like the changes - and the dark and darker mask addition is a nice touch.

---

the bloom effects does not work for me - no change with on or off

---

I would like to see option to completely disable that info pane with game name - personally, I'm using it only if I want to find particular rom name (and changed it to display rom name instead of full name).

---

Are you using my cab image or still that old one before my retouching?
I've uploaded one with scanlines over the screen, but I can't remember if I've uploaded the one with scanlines turned off.
I can uploaded it if you want - but it is slightly different from the original one - so you'd have to reposition snap and marquee and change skew and pinch to fit my cab image.

tomek

• View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »
Hi All,

I've recently started putting together an arcade gizmo running on an old MacMini (Yosemite, the Mini is just within the age barrier) I had lying around. I too have run into some problems described here but I have resolved them to my satisfaction as follows:

• Install MenuEclipse (https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/menu-eclipse-2/id420041409?mt=12)
  • My desktop wallpaper is black around the edges and I've configured MenuEclipse to mask the menu bar with black too for seamless look
  • Remove all icons from the desktop
  • disable hot corners - this one was a real doozie, I was getting "logged out" every time I returned form the emulator. I had my corner configured to sleep the display and my security to ask for password immediately.
  • I run AttractMode as an App which I have added to the only user's login items
  • I've configured the user to auto login

The result is that I can boot the MacMini, I see the initial boot screen with the grey Apple logo, then I see the background image which is a part of the graphic design I chose for the whole experience and then AM loads. It makes for a pretty seamless and cohesive visual experience. I'll post some photos once I finish my layout.

Mind you, the MacMini is only ever going to be used as an arcade console, it will eventually live inside the cab I'm building so this solution may not work for you if you want to still use your Mac as a work machine.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:01:19 PM by tomek »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »
Mind you, the MacMini is only ever going to be used as an arcade console, it will eventually live inside the cab I'm building so this solution may not work for you if you want to still use your Mac as a work machine.

That's exactly how I'm using it. So close but no cigar :)

ladysephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »
I'm having a similar issue in 10.10.4 -- AM is in a fullscreen mode in the menu system, but when I click on a game to run it, it pops up the dock to show the terminal/exe icon, and the menu bar and window top (stoplight, etc) pops up at the top of the screen. I'm not very good with code, so if it's going to be addressed in the next build I'll just wait, but I wanted to let you know!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:51:23 PM by ladysephiroth »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 12:13:57 AM »
Thanks, but you should switch to FILLSCREEN in settings and try if it helps.
FULLSCREEN is a special option to solve some linux problems - if I remember correctly.

FILLSCREEN should be default option for everybody.

ladysephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 07:34:05 AM »
It is on Fillscreen (default) and it's still happening -- I did read the whole thread first and tried all of that :) Thanks!

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 07:38:09 AM »
Maybe you could try with the newest build?
Download here: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=289.0

shidarin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »
Having the same issue on Ubuntu 14.04 with fullscreen mode- I have to have it set to fullscreen or else the menu bar and dock appear.

tomek

• View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »
Further to this. I've not really noticed it before because I'm just starting out with a custom layout and my initial one was extremely simple so it loaded fast. Now my layout has a large background video which takes a few moments to load. While it's loading the menu bar becomes visible and the screen goes white.

This is a pretty undesirable visual artefact. However I suspect that it may not have anything to do with AM but rather the underlying graphics library that it is based on.

This is with AM 1.5.2 on OS X 10.10.4.