Author Topic: Hyperspin main menu  (Read 3948 times)

Armedgeek

• View Profile
Hyperspin main menu
« on: September 08, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »
Based off information i've read on these forums, it seems you can use Hyperspins media main menu folder within attract mode, which by the way is freakin sweet. However, i haven't seen any videos or screen shots of anyone actually booting to a main menu listing their specific console/systems with the games being inside those wheels as essentially a sub wheel where the games lay within that console. I think i just made that really confusing...I'm sure people get it, the basic hyperspin.

The videos i have seen shows basically all of the games within a giant wheel. The idea using the marquee helps determine which games are for what system, nice touch. Before i adventure down this road and use this application, i'm just trying to verify 100% that you can create wheels specific to the systems you choose. Also, is there any shortcuts such as skipping letters or jumping multiple lines when dealing with thousands of games in one wheel? 

Thanks to everyone for the hard work on this. Coming from Hyperspin, regardless of cost for a pi emulation station was just to plain for me. I can now finally feel ok for my smaller builds using this!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:08:34 PM by Armedgeek »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspin main menu
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 08:51:58 PM »
Search for HyperSpin in the forums and you will see a bunch of post. I'm not going to repeat in depth what I have said in the past.

Here's a few points.
- all hyperspin theme don't work properly in AM
- you can use hyperspin "main menu" themes but they won't appear as a wheel in attractmode and they will not show on boot, only when you bring up the "Displays Menu"
- there are settings for page up/page down and next letter/previous letter when browsing roms
- you can have wheels per system (which is the default method in HS or AM)

You can run AM on Windows just like your HS setup. You can even leverage your entire HS RocketLauncher setup in AM. Try it there and you can see what it can do. Don't expect a Pi to have the power of a full Windows machine that has enough power to run HyperSpin. Don't expect a Pi to run every HS theme properly.

I have HyperSpin, Attract-Mode, Launch Box/Big Box, RetroFE, GameEx and a few other frontends working on different hardware and platforms. If money is no object and you want the best setup possible you will need to use a powerful PC. If you use HS or LB you will spend a lot of time and effort to get them working. AM will run on anything and is the best solution for a cheap gaming machine and also a powerful PC and won't take a ton of time to setup. If you do use AM, I would use a HS like theme in AM and not the actual HS themes.

AM is great and so is the Pi but don't kid youself that it will be anything like a full HS build. After all, an entire Pi setup will cost less than your HS and EmuMovies subscriptions needed for HS (which will be handy in AM too).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:25:57 PM by progets »

Armedgeek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »
Thanks for the info Progets, approciate it. I couldn't agree more, hyperspin is beefy. I have around 51 systems almost complete and have been working on it for over six months. I'm currently having the time of my life attempting to run pinballx with hyperspin. I'm running a dual core G3258 with 8gb of ram and at times, my wheel will stutter. For many i'm sure the pi is fine, who can complain when it comes to cost. The only reason i'm interested is because i'm building two cabs, one each for my little brothers. The nice part is, once all my configuration is done, it should be cookie cutter for any future builds using the same versions. My hyperspin cab has two hard drives, boot from ssd and all my roms are on F:\ i don't know what i was thinking. Converting it all to C:\ is a pain for other builds using one drive without creating a partition.

Idealy i want to keep AM fairly simple, i liked the looks of a video i saw with just a cabinet and game video inside it, with marquee and a blue background listing systems. The actual "themes" i don't care for as i feel it's still completely visually appealinfg. Like you stated, by running most things it would bog down anyways. All i want to do is be able to have a wheel for each system that will run well to simplify things. Sounds like i can do this. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:27:55 PM by Armedgeek »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:44:25 PM »
A Pi is perfect then. Go for a Pi 3, it only make sense. AM has great filtering. There are a lot of great looking layouts/themes. You can connect right to the GPIO or use a xin-mo to connect your controls. You can use your roms, wheel art images, and boxes images from your HS build but you'll likely need to use EmuMovies (or something else) to get lower resolution videos for the Pi to use (my HS videos caused issues in AM and other have had the same problem).

With a Pi 3 and a 32 GB or 64 GB SD card you can have a great arcade. You couldn't touch anything else for the price unless you want to try less supported boards from odroid or solid-run, trust me you don't. Though these can be better but you'll spend a lot of time with little help to get them there.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:09:24 PM by progets »