Author Topic: How do I add PCSX2 to Attract Mode  (Read 9690 times)

SaltShakerOW

• View Profile
How do I add PCSX2 to Attract Mode
« on: November 24, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
Sorry if I am bothering anyone with this stupid question but I have followed every guide out there and I am so confused on how to add PCSX2 to attract mode. Can anyone point me to another thread or walk me through it?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do I add PCSX2 to Attract Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »
Sony PlayStation 2.cfg (emulator configuration file)
Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.0
#
executable           \Emulators\PCSX2\pcsx2.exe
args                 --nogui --fullscreen --fullboot "[romfilename]"
rompath              \Roms\Sony PlayStation 2
romext               .cso
system               Sony Playstation 2
info_source          thegamesdb.net

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 05:42:54 AM »
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I think I've tried a few dozen different ways, but I can't get pcsx2 to work. I've used the configuration progets mentioned but the screen flashes for a second and returns to AttractMode. Any tips or ideas?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:53:01 AM by bundangdon »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I think I've tried a few dozen different ways, but I can't get pcsx2 to work. I've used the configuration progets mentioned but the screen flashes for a second and returns to AttractMode. Any tips or ideas?

Do you have PCSX2 games working without using AttractMode?

Run attract-console.exe to see the output of what AttractMode is doing when you launch PS2 games in the FE. Post the results and your AM emulator file and let us know the location of pcsx2.exe and your PS2 roms.

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »

Do you have PCSX2 games working without using AttractMode?

Run attract-console.exe to see the output of what AttractMode is doing when you launch PS2 games in the FE. Post the results and your AM emulator file and let us know the location of pcsx2.exe and your PS2 roms.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I can use PCSX2 fine without AttractMode, and I wasn't able to find anything in the attract-console results. After playing around a little more, I found something wonky about the "rompath" in the emulators config. For example when I use this:

rompath      emulators\media\playstation2\files\  (location where playstation 2 games are, a subfolder of attractmode)
it doesn't work, but this rompath configuration works with all other emulators. And, when I use this:

rompath      C:\attractmode\emulators\media\playstation2\files\  (the specific location, but not good for portable setups)
it works fine :o

any ideas on how I can get the right folder/subfolder setup?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:20:21 PM by bundangdon »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »
try

rompath      .\emulators\media\playstation2\files

or

rompath      \attractmode\emulators\media\playstation2\files

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »
try

rompath      .\emulators\media\playstation2\files

or

rompath      \attractmode\emulators\media\playstation2\files

Thanks again! Only the 2nd one worked, which implies that pcsx2 doesn't play well with relative paths I guess, or at least not for me :P

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »
Thanks again! Only the 2nd one worked, which implies that pcsx2 doesn't play well with relative paths I guess, or at least not for me :P

Doesn't that solve your portability issue?

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 11:02:05 PM »

Doesn't that solve your portability issue?
In most cases yes, but in some cases no. As it's set up now and if the folder is put in the root of that drive (C, D, etc.) then there's no problem. But if it's inserted into another folder then it won't launch the games. For now this will work though :D

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »
In most cases yes, but in some cases no. As it's set up now and if the folder is put in the root of that drive (C, D, etc.) then there's no problem. But if it's inserted into another folder then it won't launch the games. For now this will work though :D

Agreed, there are differences between a relative path and a root path. I haven't tried relative paths with pcsx2 but whether it works or not could depend on the version of the emulator and/or the version or windows, I'm not using the latest of either.

I like root paths because they are relative, to the root, and don't seem to have issues with any systems I run. They aren't the best solution for everyone.

Some other options that might help but will also have similar limitations include:
- manually modify any emulator.cfg files needed when porting (not needed if just a drive moving around to different PCs or a port off the root of any volume)
- create a script that creates any needed symbolic links on a new machine
- create a script that prompts for path variables and modifies and AM emulator.cfg files as needed

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 01:17:52 AM »

Agreed, there are differences between a relative path and a root path. I haven't tried relative paths with pcsx2 but whether it works or not could depend on the version of the emulator and/or the version or windows, I'm not using the latest of either.

I like root paths because they are relative, to the root, and don't seem to have issues with any systems I run. They aren't the best solution for everyone.

Some other options that might help but will also have similar limitations include:
- manually modify any emulator.cfg files needed when porting (not needed if just a drive moving around to different PCs or a port off the root of any volume)
- create a script that creates any needed symbolic links on a new machine
- create a script that prompts for path variables and modifies and AM emulator.cfg files as needed

Thanks again for the advice. I'll keep all of that in mind when it comes time to moving files around. But as of now the only issue in terms of *true* portability is with this emulator, pcsx2, so I wouldn't consider it a serious obstacle

PSOGene

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 10:35:49 PM »
is there way to hide the log text when launching ps2 emulator because I really like to hide it without its showing up
this also happen when i have my attract mode in full screen as well

Sea Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
is there way to hide the log text when launching ps2 emulator

Sony PlayStation 2.cfg (emulator configuration file)
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.0
#
executable           \Emulators\PCSX2\pcsx2.exe
args                 --nogui --fullscreen --fullboot "[romfilename]"
rompath              \Roms\Sony PlayStation 2
romext               .cso
system               Sony Playstation 2
info_source          thegamesdb.net

Sea Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »
I've recently migrated my primary system from Windows to Linux and would like to get per-game profiles working with PS2 via Attract Mode.  I previously accomplished this by using RocketLauncher with the PCSX2 AutoHotkey module.  I'm not much of a coder, and I'm sure someone else could accomplish porting this over to a bash script that could be used in place of launching PCSX2 directly.  Anyhow, here's the PCSX2 module for RocketLauncher if anyone wants to take a shot at it.

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »
@ Sea Monkey
Are you using Linux (because of bash?!) or do you use Windows (cmd / commandline)?

On Linux you can autogenerate profiles per game and set it to frontend.
here
here
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM