Author Topic: Mame xml Controls  (Read 501 times)

akafox

• View Profile
Mame xml Controls
« on: August 05, 2023, 04:25:11 PM »
I am not looking for controls.dat or controls.xml Nor am am asking about filtering... (I filter my games outside of AM anyway...)

So when you build a list in AM with the info_source listxml when using mame it fills in the Control(s) part of  the list..great! But, How do you read it!? It doesn't make sense to me...

here is what i mean as an example:

Donkey Kong joystick (4-way),joystick (4-way)
The Amazing Adventures of Mr. F. Lea   joystick (4-way)

I thought maybe it showed if a game was single player or two-player, but the Players column is for that right?

It just confuses me because joystick (4-way),joystick (4-way) to me would mean a dual joystick say like Robotron: 2048. That however is listed as "double joystick" plainly enough...
And yes it could mean two joysticks on a single cabinet and you just take turns playing after one person dies...except if you look at both control panels for the games above, they both have single joystick!

A link is fine..I just can't find anything is all....(or if I am lucky and a mame dev sees this!) I just want to understand it so I can quit chasing my tail here...kindly explain to me what I am looking at :3

And I think Centipede and millipede are listed incorrectly as "joystick (8-way),trackball" As far as I know there was no centipede ever made with a  joystick. Unless there was a bootleg...which of course is normally labeled as a bootleg in mame. Also to me "joystick (8-way),trackball" mean to me that the game had a trackball AND a joystick for controls. like tron had a trigger-stick AND a dial in order to play.... but that I have to bring up on the mame forum itself..heh....

Anyway thanks to whoever answers me. It's not a huge deal..just trying to understand what I am looking at.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 04:36:14 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it