Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 - with RetroPie  (Read 523661 times)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi 2 and Pi 3
« Reply #345 on: June 12, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
efraimsangil-

Ok, so its a scaling problem. It works fine on the pi. For whatever reason the odroid drivers do not like scaling. I don't have any experience with odroid but I would see if there are any video mode options that can be set via config.

Attract-mode is set at a specific resolution which is why it works.

changing these two lines should do the same.

line 28 local flx = fe.layout.width=640;
line 29 local fly = fe.layout.height=480;

warham

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 12, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »
problem with attract mode not sending focus to daphne.   Daphne runs behind attract mode.  Hope someone knows how to adjust for this :)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 12, 2016, 08:19:41 PM »
warham-

There is new hide console option in your attract.cfg. Try setting it to true. Also, make sure window mode is set to fill which should be the default.

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 12, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »
efraimsangil-

Ok, so its a scaling problem. It works fine on the pi. For whatever reason the odroid drivers do not like scaling. I don't have any experience with odroid but I would see if there are any video mode options that can be set via config.

Attract-mode is set at a specific resolution which is why it works.

changing these two lines should do the same.

line 28 local flx = fe.layout.width=640;
line 29 local fly = fe.layout.height=480;

Yes, works fine.

Code: [Select]
local my_config = fe.get_config();
//local flx = fe.layout.width;
//local fly = fe.layout.height;
local flx = fe.layout.width=640;
local fly = fe.layout.height=480;
local flw = fe.layout.width;
local flh = fe.layout.height;

This the post that I am folowed to put AM in Odroid: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=18283&p=144350#p144350

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2016, 06:11:06 AM »
efraimsangil-

How do you like the performance of odriod so far? I was thinking about getting one myself but there is a lot of negative reviews about driver support, kernel panic problems and spotty quality. What's been your experience so far besides driver issues?

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 13, 2016, 06:29:37 AM »
efraimsangil-

How do you like the performance of odriod so far? I was thinking about getting one myself but there is a lot of negative reviews about driver support, kernel panic problems and spotty quality. What's been your experience so far besides driver issues?

If you want to use for Arcade System, I think that exist better systems (Orange Pi and RPI).

There are many problems with SDL framebuffer, all people use X11 to run emulators.... I've never had problems of kernel panic.

But if you want a computer to use with Ubuntu / Debian for work, for example, XU4 is the best option. SUPER fast, USB3 ports, gigabyte ethernet and 2GB RAM. I love this machine :)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 13, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
OK, thanks...

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 13, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »
Playing around with different flyer options for robospin. One disadvantage to using flyers for backgrounds is that most of it gets covered up. So, I'm trying to find the sweet spot with limited space. Here's what I've come up with.

yeh or neh ?

I need to clean up this thread later because some of this stuff should be under themes. 

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 13, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »
@omeganman

Yes :) It's a good idea.  ;)

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 13, 2016, 03:17:10 PM »
efraimsangil-

If you want to use for Arcade System, I think that exist better systems (Orange Pi and RPI).

There are many problems with SDL framebuffer, all people use X11 to run emulators.... I've never had problems of kernel panic.

But if you want a computer to use with Ubuntu / Debian for work, for example, XU4 is the best option. SUPER fast, USB3 ports, gigabyte ethernet and 2GB RAM. I love this machine :)

so you happy with xu4?

really like to see the performance on n64 and maybe reicast only interested in hand full of games for this system can you test and report back for everyone o forum

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2016, 12:39:39 AM »
@omegaman

If you want to show off the whole flyer - it's a keeper.

But maybe you can consider using it as I did in NEVATO - really oversized and not fully visible, but blending as an "ambient" background.

The trick I've used to "blend" it - is to mask the edges with dark png gradients.
If you like it and need some help with making that masks - let me know.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 14, 2016, 07:39:33 AM »
Hi verion!

I'll take a look at that. One of the things I'm trying to do now is revamp my layouts to be more pi and crt friendly. Using big art like flyers can affect the performance of the pi drastically. Especially, if you are trying to render a lot of images on the screen at once. By using smaller artwork I've been able to boost the performance on the pi quite a bit. This helps with faster wheel scrolling as well. I can set my wheel speed down to 30ms now without any noticeable lag if using a joystick. 

Also, I took some quick and dirty 10 sec videos of various layouts running on one my crt test rigs and some of them look great on LCD but not so much on a crt monitor. There is a link posted under best layouts for CRT if you want to take a look at the various layouts on a crt, including yours. The videos are not the best because I need to make some flicker adjustments on my converter board and I was standing away from the cabinet. I plan on making some clearer videos soon. 

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #357 on: June 14, 2016, 01:33:10 PM »
Using big art like flyers can affect the performance of the pi drastically.

Back in the days when I was optimizing newer xmbc themes to work on my trusty 1st gen xbox - the trick was to lower the resolution of all images. The size (not the pixel count but physical size) was not the problem - only the pixel count. Maybe you can try that - resizing all images to have appropriate pixel count for low-res display.

For example:
with 640x480px layout resolution - marquee res could be 220px in width instead of let's say 400px

Maybe that's not the case with RPi, because xbox main problem was the lack of ram - and scaling down images really helped to save some resources. But you could make quick and dirty check by resizing ALL images by 50% with some batch resizing program - and checikng if it helps with performance.

---

The other tip I can share is to stop using surfaces. When I was testing the themes performance on older mac - the difference was huge, like (of the top of my head) 20% cpu without surfaces and 60% cpu with surfaces. And I was testing this with ROBOSPIN - with only surface being the cab screen. Of course it was on mac and with older (1.6) version of AM - but maybe ditching the surfaces can help with RPi performance issues.

I took some quick and dirty 10 sec videos of various layouts running on one my crt.

I've checked out that link... and it's probably bad link, because it leads to the uni_cade.zip download :)

Misterhollyw00d

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 14, 2016, 07:30:43 PM »
Anyone have paths for sega cd and pcengine?
Or can this be included in next update

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
I really didn't notice much of a difference using surfaces on the pi. But, I think you really need surfaces if you want to manipulate or scale images effectively. Maybe raygun can weigh in on this, if there is advantage or not.

Man, you just opened up a whole can of worms with resolution and pixel count. I hear what you are saying about pixel count but when you resize an image you are changing the pixel density, correct? Are do I have that wrong?   

Here try this link. 

Try this one > https://app.box.com/s/pwhq3asiqzcvdhqui8g91wkd2v5xia1e