Author Topic: Attract mode "startup_mode"  (Read 1989 times)

darkmenace

• View Profile
Attract mode "startup_mode"
« on: September 07, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »
Hi all

I am running RetroPie (latest build) with Attract Mode on my Rpi 3b+. I have everything configured as I want for the most part. As I plan to put the PI in my arcade machine and don't want my kids to be able to stuff it up, I am trying to achieve the following:

1) Set Attract Mode to go straight into the "Arcade" menu. I've disabled all the menus in the attract.cfg file, so now when I boot up I see "Arcade" then when I go in there, it shows me all my arcade games on a wheel (as expected). Is there a way to force Attract Mode to go straight into the Arcade Games menu without having to click on "Arcade" first? I personally find it easier to just edit the attract.cfg if possible to make such changes.

I found the line "startup_mode         displays_menu" is there a "displays_arcade" or something similar?

2) Is there a way to stop the kids being able to exit attract mode? I already have "displays_menu_exit no" set, but when button mashing sometimes I still get the prompt 'would you like to exist attract mode yes/no?'

I have searched google and had a look on here, but concede I may have missed answers to these specific questions.

Thanks in advance.
DM

rand0m

• View Profile
Re: Attract mode "startup_mode"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 12:57:33 AM »
1. If you only have a single item in romlist (only arcade) you should not be using displays menu. You can go to attract-mode > settings > general > and change startup mode to "show last selection"

2. attract-mode > settings > controls > change key for "exit" to something else. Pressing "back" can also lead to "exit AM" prompt when you are at root, I'm not sure if this will break anything in your theme but creating a signal switch "back" to "null" might disable this. I am using following signal switch to disbale left/ right signal in a theme >

Code: [Select]
function on_signal( sig )
{
switch ( sig )
{
case "left":
fe.signal( "" );
return true;

case "right":
fe.signal( "" );
return true;
}
return false;
}
fe.add_signal_handler(this, "on_signal");

darkmenace

• View Profile
Re: Attract mode "startup_mode"
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:27:43 AM »
Thanks rand0m i’ll try both suggestions and see how I go.

edit: per point 1 I made the changes, and now going into retropie/attract mode options screen at boot, rather than Arcade. I tried then turning off the retropie menu in attract.cfg leaving only Arcade as the only option, thinking that would forcibly boot attract mode into Arcade straight up, but no go!

Are there any other config files other than attract.cfg used by attract mode that I can look at?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 06:09:16 AM by darkmenace »