Author Topic: Does a good ScummVM setup guide exist for the RPI? Could use some help  (Read 3699 times)

slowsl

• View Profile
I've been at this for days on end.  I've made some progress, but still a good bit off.  I'm trying to setup ScummVM on my RPI3.  It didn't come with Floob's image, but I went through the retropie setup and added the package, and updated from source.  I was able to switch to ES and open the Scummvm GUI, add the directory for the games, and close/reboot.  In ES, I can now see the list of games, and click the games, which open and run fine.  When I switch to AM, and click a game to play, it quickly scrolls some text, and goes right back to AM display, never launching the emulator.  I must have something off with my emulator configuration.  Another strange side effect, when it fails to load scummvm, is that when I try to type any text, such as editing a display or emulator text box, it does not allow me to type anything.  All other navigation buttons with the keyboard work though, I'm forced to reboot, then all is normal.   This is my first time trying to install a new emulator, having a hard time.  Is there a good tutorial to adding, or can someone guide me?  I also can't get any snaps/wheel/background art to show up either.  I'd really appreciate some help, and can provide info from any files needed.  I should also mention, I first tried keeping the roms in their .zip file, but AM and ES could not recognize them.  I unzipped them all into individual folders, and then they were found.
Thanks in advance.

slowsl

• View Profile
Re: Does a good ScummVM setup guide exist for the RPI? Could use some help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 05:34:37 AM »
I was able to record the command line text and pause the video in order to see what was going on, here is what it shows....

- working directory: /opt/retropie/emulators/scummvm/bin
*** running: /opt/retropie/emulators/scummvm/bin/scummvm -f -p /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/scummvm/sq5 sq5
scummvm: non-existent game path '/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/scummvm/sq5'
usage: scummvm [options]... [GAME]

It's looking for the folder "sq5", which I have named differently.
Looks like all of my game folders are currently the full names of the game, is my only option renaming all of the game folders to match the scummvm game ID names?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:36:16 AM by slowsl »

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 06:44:11 AM »
@ slowsl
thats right.
See here (Section scumm-vm).
scummvm using own game-id (sq5 for Space Quest 5).
You have to use the own scumm-vm game-id as gamefolder names > create romlist > then edit the second column (title) in romlist (See)
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

slowsl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »
@ slowsl
thats right.
See here (Section scumm-vm).
scummvm using own game-id (sq5 for Space Quest 5).
You have to use the own scumm-vm game-id as gamefolder names > create romlist > then edit the second column (title) in romlist (See)

Perfect, got it sorted out, thank you for the link, very informative thread.  My next problem is the artwork.  In my /roms/scummvm  folder, I have a snap, flyer, and wheel folder.  I tested by adding images to each folder.  I've tried matching the game ID & title, but the only one that works is the flyer.  Any ideas?

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 12:17:44 AM »
@ slowsl
setup your games names > close AM > goto your artwork folder > rename artwork to your folder-game-names (so foldername and picturename are identic) > goto AM artwork folder > delete scummvm folder >

start AM > press TAB key > Emulators > choose your scummvm-display > depending on your layout (attrac-man, cools, reflect, verticools, and so on) > set flyer, marquee, snap, wheel to your artwork folder > Exit AM > start AM (and your artwork should be there now)

one offtopic information about scummvm 2.0.0 on windows & latest AM version 2.5.0:
i've added my games via scummvm-menu manually in scummvm.
After adding, setup and configure scummvm display and emulator in AM, correct game names are showed in AM automatic?!
After starting game via AM, a window popups that scummvm searchs your input to scummvm-gameid automatically (only the games, that i've addes manually to scummvm-menu). Nice feature of scummvm team. Thanks ^-^
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:20:34 AM by hermine.potter »
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

slowsl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
@ slowsl
setup your games names > close AM > goto your artwork folder > rename artwork to your folder-game-names (so foldername and picturename are identic) > goto AM artwork folder > delete scummvm folder >

start AM > press TAB key > Emulators > choose your scummvm-display > depending on your layout (attrac-man, cools, reflect, verticools, and so on) > set flyer, marquee, snap, wheel to your artwork folder > Exit AM > start AM (and your artwork should be there now)
Are you saying instead of using individual folders for each type of artwork (snap, background, wheel), to put them all in one artwork folder and in the display, point all of the artwork paths to this artwork folder?  If so, I can only have one file with the game ID name, how can I have separate files for snap, wheel, and background?  Sorry, I'm a bit confused.  The way all other emulators artwork is setup that I have, there is a snap folder, a flyer folder, and a wheel folder, inside each of these folders the image file matches the romname.  I figured doing it this way, and matching the game ID would be the same, but only the background image is working doing it this way.

one offtopic information about scummvm 2.0.0 on windows & latest AM version 2.5.0:
i've added my games via scummvm-menu manually in scummvm.
After adding, setup and configure scummvm display and emulator in AM, correct game names are showed in AM automatic?!
After starting game via AM, a window popups that scummvm searchs your input to scummvm-gameid automatically (only the games, that i've addes manually to scummvm-menu). Nice feature of scummvm team. Thanks ^-^
I did notice this, I didn't need to run your renaming .vbs script!