Author Topic: Hi! Scanning names and data form roms  (Read 4293 times)

Carcayu

• View Profile
Hi! Scanning names and data form roms
« on: September 24, 2019, 11:54:49 PM »
Hi all! I have a 7 years cabinet, but now I want to upgrade the system, from windows xp+mamewah front-end+640*480 fixed resolution to windows 7+attract mode+groovymame+newer romsets.

The thing is everything it is OK with mame, but not for the rest. It seems, as I have read here, that gamesdb has changed the link, so what it happens it only shows name file without .zip in romlist.

Its OK with snaps, since I have already that. But it is very tedious to edit info about model 2,model 3, Naomi, atomiswave, taito type and Daphne roms.

Is there anything I could do? Thanks in advance!

hermine.potter

• View Profile
Re: Hi! Scanning names and data form roms
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 02:44:30 AM »
do you have already existing textfiles (or another filetype), containing filename to correct game name?
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

Carcayu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
do you have already existing textfiles (or another filetype), containing filename to correct game name?

Nope. Since I have click in generate romlist, what I have is a text file will all the fields separated with comas but only with two fields: rom name and game name, but rom and game name are the same. Something like this:

msvc2,mvsc2,,,,,,,,,,

Instead on this:

mvsc2, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (World),,,,,,,

I am talking about every arcade system but MAME. Since MAME takes its game data from exe, I have no problems with that.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 11:08:50 PM »
1. download  the desired system.xml from here http://hyperlist.hyperspin-fe.com/
2. import the romlist.xml into attractmode from the command line using the console.exe of attractmode (your path will vary from the example below)
Code: [Select]
D:\AttractMode>attract-console.exe -i "Sega Naomi.xml" "Sega Naomi"
*** Importing Collection/Rom List: Sega Naomi.xml

[Import Sega Naomi.xml] - Imported 228 entries.
 - Skipping import_extras file: .\extras\mame.xml
[Import .\extras\catver.ini] - found info for 228 entries.
[Import .\extras\nplayers.ini] - found info for 228 entries.
 - Removing any duplicate entries...
 + Writing 228 entries to: D:\AttractMode\romlists/Sega Naomi.txt

D:\AttractMode>
3. set a (global) filter if you don't have all the games in the romlist so you don't see the games you don't have/can't play. (you could also hand edit the list instead to the delete the games you don't have)
"if file exists"

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »
Since all these games are in the MAME romset you could also modify your MAME emulator games in attractmode to use alternate emulators for the games the MAME can't play. This would give you one clean menu/wheel if your aren't using any console games (2600, nes, mastersystem, etc.).

If you do like MAME submenus/wheels you can check out this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2767.msg19147#msg19147

Carcayu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »
1. download  the desired system.xml from here http://hyperlist.hyperspin-fe.com/
2. import the romlist.xml into attractmode from the command line using the console.exe of attractmode (your path will vary from the example below)
D:\AttractMode>attract-console.exe -i "Sega Naomi.xml" "Sega Naomi"
*** Importing Collection/Rom List: Sega Naomi.xml

[Import Sega Naomi.xml] - Imported 228 entries.
 - Skipping import_extras file: .\extras\mame.xml
[Import .\extras\catver.ini] - found info for 228 entries.
[Import .\extras\nplayers.ini] - found info for 228 entries.
 - Removing any duplicate entries...
 + Writing 228 entries to: D:\AttractMode\romlists/Sega Naomi.txt

D:\AttractMode>
3. set a (global) filter if you don't have all the games in the romlist so you don't see the games you don't have/can't play. (you could also hand edit the list instead to the delete the games you don't have)
"if file exists"

Thanks! It worked!

Carcayu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 08:48:04 AM »
Since all these games are in the MAME romset you could also modify your MAME emulator games in attractmode to use alternate emulators for the games the MAME can't play. This would give you one clean menu/wheel if your aren't using any console games (2600, nes, mastersystem, etc.).

If you do like MAME submenus/wheels you can check out this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2767.msg19147#msg19147

Thanks, but I was thinking in a "organic way".

1. Making all romlist
2. Making a romlist mixing all arcade platforms
3. Puting it in a cabinet and creating favourites seeing the emulator used, if it is cloned or not, version, etc. Not something to do all in a period of time, but from time to time i'd spend some time in the cabinet looking at the whole list and selecting new games for the favouite list.

Thanks a lot!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »
If you are on a PC and using a "standard version" of mame do not use the games database for look up. Use "gamelist.xml". That tells AM to make a xml by using the command built into the mame.exe.

To import extra information you import ini or dat files (mostly controls.ini, players.ini, ect.) add that path to the files and the games will be generated with "long names" instead of rom file names.

On a pi using advance mame or libretro cores can be more diffcult and using an "external.xml" can help there. Always note you can generate a list on a PC and transfer that to your pi and it will still work.
People want life easy..then complain about it