Author Topic: Request for a "Tutorial" main forum thread  (Read 5457 times)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Request for a "Tutorial" main forum thread
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:59:19 AM »
I think this would be a helpful part of the forum. People tend to not search for their solutions but tend to follow instructions (if available) when setting things up, especially if they can watch a video (videos can be hosted elsewhere, if needed).

I have answered a few PMs on how to do certain things and I could put them in a new thread that will likely get lost, I think they may be better suited for another undefined part of the forum. This would also be a great area to move or link all of the "How To..." posts. I would also like to see parts of the "read me" files broken down a little in here, no offence but 70% of people don't know they exist or get bored reading them before they get to the part that could have helped them.

In relation to some of the requests for "Pi" specific topics, I think that if someone might write a full Pi build "How To" so we don't have tons of questions about the many flawed/outdated Pi images people can and will download.

What do others think?

P.S. If you have an option for moderator approval before going live that would be smart too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:16:48 AM by progets »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: Request for a "Tutorial" main forum thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 01:34:31 AM »
Good idea! Especially if this could be a separate subforum - like "General", "Themes"

Best place for tutorials/tips would be a wiki - but this is idealistic approach, since a good wiki needs A LOT of effort and coordination.

Next best thing is a dedicated subforum with a tutorial/tip in first post of every thread in this subforum. And it has an added bonus, because users can ask additional questions in dedicated thread and the OP can revise/clarify/change the first post.

For example: If I'm answering very general question (like "how can I get rid of additional info in brackets in game name") in a rather lengthy FLAT BLUE thread, there is no chance that someone not interested in FLAT BLUE will ever see this answer. And there is no chance to find this answer via SEARCH. But it would take me a under a minute to repost this answer in TUTORIAL/TIPS subforum - where it could be more accessible and searchable because of dedicated topic name.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:38:19 AM by verion »

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 07:33:40 AM »
I think that's a great idea, I just wonder about maintenance.. you wouldn't want a tutorial forum being an open ended question forum with duplicate posts from other subforums. Perhaps questions in general  or scripting threads could be promoted there when a question is answered?

I also would like to make an effort to start getting the wiki content improved. Anything that would go in a tutorials forum should also be in there IMO. In your example building for RPi - there is already wiki entries on how to build it, but it could probably use some common issue resolutions or tips. I would like to beef up the content for scripting.. finish the "Intro to Squirrel" guide and start adding some more advanced scripting examples. I've noticed a lot of new people who seem ready to script, but could use some guidance :)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:06:17 AM »
you wouldn't want a tutorial forum being an open ended question forum

For sure - I think the threads in there should always START WITH TUTORIAL - not with the question/problem or tutorial request.
There can be a single sticky thread where people can post requests for tutorial to somehow channel the need for asking question.

And this kind of subforum with tutorials could fuel wiki with already-made content or ideas for further write-ups.

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
FYI, I just updated the Intro to Squirrel wiki page to add callbacks and signals info:
https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Introduction-to-Squirrel-Programming

I also started this page:
https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Scripting-Tips-and-Tricks

I'm gonna do some more on these soon :)

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »
I have to agree. I have wrote a few tutorials as well and I wonder if they get read at all. Some are just to customize..no biggie..but some are there to help noobs..and they still ask questions. I ask noob questions too...but as was pointed out..the help gets lost among the pages of threads.

It's a good idea....you're not looking for volunteers are you....
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:47:07 AM »
I guess my biggest issue with the using the Attract-Mode wiki is that there should be instructions for problems addressed that really don't relate to Attract-Mode. These would including things that are related to updating the OS (Raspbian, Windows, OSX, etc.), RetroPie (if running it), specific emulators, etc. I know this isn't the place to really solve these issues but most see Attract-Mode as being their issue and don't understand all the other working pieces. It would be a good place for redirects to other forums or instructions on how to resolve "assumed" Attract-Mode issues that are related to other known issues.

P.S. I think that this topic can be open to threads for posts but I don't think that the original posting should happen without being vetted. A bad or poorly written post could lead to ruined or unstable systems.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:54:25 AM by progets »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
Hello everyone!! I am new to Retropie/attract mode as well. I have everything running pretty great so far except Reicast and getting it to recognize a PS4 controller but that's another story, haha! I used Ray's image and updated attract mode and everything. Now I would like to add emulators to attract mode and have them show up on the wheel and function properly. Please, if anyone can walk me through this or point me in the right direction/thread, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

That quote is posted in the "set up attract mode set by step thread....
See this is what i mean about making a "raspberry pi section" Yes the process is the same. Exactly the same...well almost the same..and there is the truth. You are not setting emulator binaries as the executable..you are setting the retropie scripts as executables. That confuses a lot of people..it did even me at first..And I "know what I'm doing".

You don't need retro pie anything on this image. You can set everything up just as if it were a computer..because it IS a computer. Except there is no way to install Either attract mode or retroarch easily on the pi. Yes I have compiled Attract Mode myself on the pi..worked fine and was easy..to me...because I am used to that. However I could not compile retroarch or lebretro cores at all..I had to use the retropie script to get it compiled. (As of 20172401 I have compiled all cores (that I wanted) attractmode and retroarch with raspian-lite - jessie.) If and when Attract mode AND retroarch (and the other emulators) are available either in the repositories or binaries/deb packages (like advance mame) so that it can be installed like its "big brothers" this will continue to be a problem.

I wish I could make at least good quality videos for tutorials or i would. How about we make a Attract Mode channel on youtube with tuttoral videos? Problem is three fold IMHO

1. Information gets lost in the mounds of information here.
2. Sometimes you can read something over and over but:
   a. It doesn't make sense.
   b. They are having a honest problem that is not addressed there.
3. People are lazy and hate to read.

I guess my biggest issue with the using the Attract-Mode wiki is that there should be instructions for problems addressed that really don't relate to Attract-Mode. These would including things that are related to updating the OS (Raspbian, Windows, OSX, etc.), RetroPie (if running it), specific emulators, etc. I know this isn't the place to really solve these issues but most see Attract-Mode as being their issue and don't understand all the other working pieces. It would be a good place for redirects to other forums or instructions on how to resolve "assumed" Attract-Mode issues that are related to other known issues.

Totally agree progets

But again people that use these images don't understand that it not attract mode..because they see attract mode in the intro..or get it from this site. (It's not attract mode..it's retropie with attract mode for the front end as default instead of emulationstation.) So if you need help that is where you would go right? Makes sense to me...except I know better because I have used [any] software too long. So when they have problems they come here first..I wouldn't want to run around the internet all day either! On top of that I did have an issue with the retropie image..went to the site to look for answers..posted asking for help..NEVER got an answer..that was a month ago! (and still no answer) I had to come here and ask for help and got and WORKING solution with in HOURS. (granted it was something I should have thought to do..but a noob would never think of it..or even know how!) So now what? lol

And maybe I can compile a list of videos off of youtube and post them for newbies? However if I do that I'll want some of you to vet them first? Any volunteers? or suggestions?

I will write up a new set up step by step for the pi soon. I don't have a problem with using images at all..they are much easier don't get me wrong. Because it's easy doesn't mean it's fool proof. Too many questions and problems are popping up..because the raspberry pi is taking over. And things done on the raspberry pi are just slightly different because people are using retropie and not plain raspian.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:18:26 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it