Author Topic: RetroPie Build - What games do you use alternate emulators?  (Read 6102 times)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
AM on Pi is pretty great but obviously is limited on performance. Using alternate emulators makes a bunch of games more playable. What games are you using alternate emulators?

I use mame2003 as my default emulator. If you use RetroPie to set this up the changes are in the /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulators.cfg. Here's a few changes that I use to play Golden Tee games and some of the Street Fighter III games.

emulators.cfg
Code: [Select]
arcade_gt97 = "advmame"
arcade_gt98 = "advmame"
arcade_gt99 = "advmame"
arcade_gt2k = "advmame"
arcade_altbeast = "lr-mame2010"
arcade_astorm = "lr-mame2010"
arcade_hsf2 = "lr-mame2010"
arcade_jojo = "lr-fbalpha"
arcade_jojoba = "lr-fbalpha"
arcade_redearth = "lr-fbalpha"
arcade_sfiii = "lr-fbalpha"
arcade_sfiii2 = "lr-fbalpha"
arcade_sfiii3 = "lr-fbalpha"
arcade_sfz2al = "lr-mame2010"
arcade_ssf2t = "lr-mame2010"

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
Re: RetroPie Build - What games do you use alternate emulators?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:23:09 AM »
mame2003 with 0.78 rom set
so far iv got beer tapper, and juno first working
by using, advmame as default emu
help a friend....

Matt68061

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Not to derail...but kind of related... what is the latest version of mame that is stable in Retropie with attract mode? (Out of the "test" version phase)

I am specifically wondering about the later versions of Donkey Kong thats seemed to correct the girder colors to more purple and less red.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong spot....

32assassin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
mame2003 is a complete joke,  I started to filter my game list and noticed that over 100 broken games,  but those same games do work on mame2010

Michael Jackson moon Walker  --> parent does not work,  but the clone game works???????????
the majority of Capcom games don't work,

I set mame2010 as my default emulator  *you will need to rebuild your roms to MAME 0.139
games that don't work on MAME are run on the Lr-Fbalpha core
NegoGeo MVS runs on FBA
Most of the Capcom games --> FBA
Cave  --> FBA
Poly Master Games --> FBA

I only have the Williams games running on MAME2003,  as you know Williams game need to generate a cfg file (when you first load a game).
they don't do that when you run them on MAME2010

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
mame2003 is a complete joke,  I started to filter my game list and noticed that over 100 broken games,  but those same games do work on mame2010

Michael Jackson moon Walker  --> parent does not work,  but the clone game works???????????
the majority of Capcom games don't work,

I set mame2010 as my default emulator  *you will need to rebuild your roms to MAME 0.139
games that don't work on MAME are run on the Lr-Fbalpha core
NegoGeo MVS runs on FBA
Most of the Capcom games --> FBA
Cave  --> FBA
Poly Master Games --> FBA

I only have the Williams games running on MAME2003,  as you know Williams game need to generate a cfg file (when you first load a game).
they don't do that when you run them on MAME2010

I personally find mame2003 the most compatible. It also gets rid of the nag screens and saves hi scores. It obviously doesn't run every game and thus the reason for this thread.

To each their own. When dealing with a Raspberry Pi you do need a mix of MAME emulators to get more games to play properly. If you have the horse power of a PC you can just run the latest MAME and everything just works.

32assassin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
I'm also running this on a PI3, as you mentioned if I was on a PC I would be using Hyperspin and the latest version of MAME

your right to each their own.
 I spent allot of time removing duplicate games and trying to fix broken games
you asked what emulators people where using to make everything more playable. I gave you my solution

the only major problem with MAME2010 is that it only supports 2 joysticks.  not a major problem since most people only have 2 joysticks connected to their system.
( I removed all the 4 player games from my list and  added the 2 player clones)
I don't know about the High score support,  but I know their is no  Nag screen for MAME2010.

if its broken I'm sure I can go into the Retroarch config menu and fix it along with the Williams problem.
I only need to update the folder paths to match the ones for MAME2003

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:49:11 AM by 32assassin »