Author Topic: Question on video screensaver  (Read 1805 times)

akafox

• View Profile
Question on video screensaver
« on: January 14, 2022, 08:50:53 PM »
Is there a way to possibly display a game overlay like from the game or such in the screen saver so the screen is filled on a 9:16 10:16 monitor and the video not stretched (thus still 3:4)?

Like how you would use a overlay on retroarch when playing a game.

Maybe I am missing something?  ???
People want life easy..then complain about it

Mark Norville

• View Profile
Re: Question on video screensaver
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:18:52 PM »
You have a folder called screen saver with changeable options (make a back up first)

You should be able to set up text_overlay portion of that and get it working.

I would give it a try for you, but super busy at the moment.

I had a look and pretty much it is just like a skin file, that you can edit, make changes and write your own screen saver if you want to. I do not have those size displays so I cannot do anything.

I think you mean 16:9 and 16:10 monitors? Also 4:3 videos? You have the numbers backwards

16:9 is widescreen.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:48:06 AM by Mark Norville »
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 07:13:53 PM »
yeah I always get them backwards..for some reason...I have a vertical set up that might be why...but anyhow...

I know what widescreen is..thus why I asked if there can be a widescreen overlay so the video can be sized into a normal "square" screen.
That is the aspect ratio is correct as it was made for but the "black bars" on the sides of a widescreen monitor are covered

People want life easy..then complain about it

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 02:46:11 AM »
You can already do this yourself, however it will be a cheat video and not in depth.

Sunday and near enough 11am (10:45) and just woke up

Give me a while for a coffee and I will try and jerry rig something.

I could not get the screen saver mode to trigger, however the cheat is just to set up a screen saver folder, copy the videos from CoinOps, as they have already done the hard work for you, just edit the script to either load from c:\screensaver or add artwork for a system called screensaver and then point to add_artwork_screensaver.

As for you knowing what widescreen is, congratulations, however when you are getting 16:9 backwards and saying 9:16 it is a bit confusing for other people to understand. I also have a vertical monitor, but I do not get confused and mix them up.

You can edit stuff like this to suit what you want if ( config["preserve_ar"] == "Yes" ) yes to no, true to false.
         obj.preserve_aspect_ratio = true;

So what you want to do is already possible and doable, just needs someone to do it for you, or you do it yourself.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 03:26:46 AM by Mark Norville »
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville