Vertical
1 (33.3%)
Horizontal
2 (66.7%)
Rotates
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: March 22, 2016, 07:42:48 PM

Author Topic: Monitor/TV Orientation  (Read 6371 times)

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
Monitor/TV Orientation
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:42:48 PM »
I've been working on overlays for RetroArch geared to vertical mounted monitors. It seems most people have horizontal monitors and the overlays included with RetroArch don't transfer well to portrait mode. This is similar to the layouts in general for attractmode. While both work the same way, they aren't interchangeable.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: Monitor/TV Orientation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:41:26 AM »
I'm working on similar theme for vertical screens - taller than 3:4, like 9:16 or 10:16.

I was wondering - how does the people using vertical screens setup their systems?
  • screen rotated and system rotated - like you can see desktop normally on vertical screen = for instance: your x resolution is 1080 and your y resolution is 1920
  • screen rotated and system NOT rotated - desktop is sideways (not rotated) = you have to turn your head 90 deg to see desktop normally

I'm using the 1st option because:
- I'm using this monitor for work also (second screen) so seeing desktop normally is a must :)
- in OS X it's easy - just a matter of selecting the option (rotate screen 90 deg)

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:51:11 AM »
Excellent question verion. I use the screen rotated and system rotated (however this is not my primary computer). When I do use the system as a computer I have to pull the images down to the lower portion of the screen. This isn't because of the vertical orientation, but because looking up is uncomfortable for me.

I'm glad you're working on vertical themes, and hope you share them.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:52:05 AM »
This is crucial (if it is #1 or #2), because this is totally different layout in both cases (I think - but I can be wrong).

For me #1 is such an obvious choice - because I'm using this screen vertically all the time, but I'm asking because cools vertical (that is shipped with AM) is #2 (system not rotated).
Surely #2 can be a better option if you are using screen horizontally and occasionally rotate it just to play games - it saves you the trouble with switching system orientation in preferences.

>> I'm glad you're working on vertical themes, and hope you share them.
For sure, but it's just an idea for now - I didn't even make a proper mockup in Photoshop.
And there is the coding... and I'm not that great in coding. Well... not that I can't code at all (I'm pretty good with HTML/CSS coding), but just don't have enough time to learn squirrel.