Author Topic: Please help to configure the xpad controllers  (Read 4421 times)

elite2030

• View Profile
Please help to configure the xpad controllers
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
Hello,

For some reason, I’m struggling to get game controllers to work in Attract Mode that work in Retropie 4.1.

I built an arcade for my son and used (2) Easy get controllers and joystick / buttons.  Everything works fine in Retropie.  Last night I used a new RPi and 32gb SD chip with Attract Mode loaded.  I went thru the setup of the controller when I started the system (everything went as normal).  However, when I then launched Attract Mode, the buttons would not work.  The xpad controllers seemed OK (scrolling thru Attract Mode), but when I opened a game, I could not get “start”, “select”, “A”, “B” or any of the buttons to work.

I then went back to the old SD card & everything works fine in Retropie (no Attract Mode software loaded).

Has anyone else seen this?

This is my port file inside the emulators folder:

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.0.0
#
executable           “/bin/bash“
args "[romfilename]"
rompath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports
romext .sh;.SH
system Ports
info_source thegamesbd.net         
artwork    flyer           
artwork    marquee         
artwork    snap           
artwork    wheel           
artwork    boxart          /home/pi/RetroPie/roms//boxart
artwork    cartart         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms//cartart
artwork flyer /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports/flyer
artwork marquee /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports/marquee
artwork snap /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports/snap
artwork wheel /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports/wheel

I followed all the setting to configure the xpad controllers in emulation station and attract mode and also the same issue

Please Help!!

elite2030

• View Profile
Re: Please help to configure the xpad controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:45:19 AM »
Need help guys!

pressDUCK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
I guess if you are using a pre-built image with attract mode, maybe the guy who burned the image had custom controls set up?  I'm assuming you are running retroarch underneath it all, maybe the configuration had been changed?  I started with the basic retropie image and installed attract mode on top from the manage packages options, then built it up with robospin themes and what-not...doubt this helps you, though....

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
First of all if you are using an image file when you first start emulation station and set up your button config that's what you get. All are set up (for the most part) correctly. For each system. Except for advmame or pi-mame.

These can be set up as follows:
1. load a game
2. Press TAB
3. Input general
4. Set up the controller the way you want it
Doing this will affect ALL games

For individual games:
1. load a game
2. Press TAB
3. Input for this game
4. Set up the controller the way you want it
This will set up the controls for the current running game ONLY

As for any retroarch cores you have to bring up the retroarch gui and configure from there.

Remember the "default" layout for setting up your controller is a Super Nintendo D-pad. Thus when the configuration says press the "X button" it does not mean YOUR X button it means the button you want X to be.

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

When I setup my Genesis 6-button controller I set it up wrong the first time. If you look at the wiki above and set your controller to what the have it works fine. I have never seen an X-Pad controller. What is the EXACT game pad are you using? I might be able to map them out correctly for you.

Also Understand this is NOT an Attract Mode Problem and has everything to do with RetroPie itself. Check the retropie forum as they may have some better information for you.
People want life easy..then complain about it