Author Topic: Who's up for a little Theme challenge?  (Read 5579 times)

ChanceKJ

• Calgary, Alberta.
    • View Profile
    • My Outdoor Blog!
Who's up for a little Theme challenge?
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
I'm starting to work on my next arcade project and I'd like to see if anyone is up for helping me out a bit.

Long story short, I'm building a Mario Brothers Nintendo style cab, and I'd like to put just 7 games on it, Mario Bros, Super Mario 1-5, Lost Levels, and both original Gameboy titles.  My other machine (link below in my sig) runs Donkey Kong, all 6 versions. For that I'm able to run it off of an ArcadeSD JAMMA Multiboard, not something I'll be able to do with this new project as the ArcadeSD only supports Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros. 

Now the plan: I'll be building this new machine with a Pi, Attract Mode, spare original 1980's Nintendo controls/parts, and hopefully an arcade CRT (if I can get it to play nice with the Pi ;) ) What I'd like to do is produce a horizontal theme that closely resembles the same menu of the ArcadeSD's vertical "screenshot" mode. I'd like to handle the art, but I'll need someone who understands the code language quite well to put it all together with me.

Couple of thoughts on this, the ArcadeSD boards retail for around $325USD, and in my mind a part of thier allure is the game menu theme. I'd like to make this a theme that anyone who can't afford an ArcadeSD and doesn't care about "close to original" gameplay, or JAMMA connections a cheap alternative. I've got a feeling this can be done with using just MESS. Basically, I'd like this new machine and any other Pi projects I build to match my Donkey Kong project so as close as we can get it the better.

Here's a video I found on YouTube. I can record a better one with my own ArcadeSD setup later if anyone wants to help me take up this challenge.

http://youtu.be/324mEYedKO4

markc74

• View Profile
Re: Who's up for a little Theme challenge?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
Hi Chap  ;D - I have a layout quite similar to what you're looking for. I'm not near my machine at the no but give me a couple of days and I'll root it out for you.