Author Topic: Attract-Mode+Linux+HyperSpin Themes?  (Read 4875 times)

croww84

• View Profile
Attract-Mode+Linux+HyperSpin Themes?
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »
As the title suggests..... has anyone actually succeeded with Attract-Mode in Linux using HyperSpin Themes?

I'm a new user here and finally fed up with Windows & HyperSpin and ready to make the big switch over to Linux. After reading about everything I can find on the HyperSpin theme support in AM, I'm quite confident I'm setting it up correctly. I've even tried hacking the .nut files myself to get the loader to pick up the themes.

I get:

- Loaded layout: /home/crow/.attract/layouts/HyperSpin/ (loader.nut)
 - Layout is empty, initializing with the default layout settings

This is every time I launch AM after setting HyperSpin as the layout.

I'm not a Squirrel developer, and not much of a Python one either, but I tried tracking down the global variable in these .nut files "::file_to_load" and as far as I can tell, it isn't getting set. Printing the variable results in "Index not found" or something to that effect. I'd be glad to test more, but it occurred to me, that I don't think I've seen anyone actually using HS themes in AM on Linux. Maybe I'm wrong.....????

Thanks!

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
    • Blogging about Rust lang
Re: Attract-Mode+Linux+HyperSpin Themes?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Linux is case sensitive, so that might have something to do with it. Which theme are you trying?

If you're looking at using Linux for a cab, I suggest you give my ISO a try - instructions here.

croww84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, Linux is case sensitive. I'm sure that my games, game lists, and themes are all named correctly with the proper case. I'm basically trying ANY HyperSpin theme. I've just been trying to get the default ones to work for now. The Attract-Mode loader seems to skip right over it when I have HS themes enables and loads a blank layout. I can definitely provide screenshots or log output if anyone is interested in helping.

I did download your ISO and dug through it a bit. I was hoping to find examples of HS themes, but either I'm looking in the wrong place, or your Attact-Mode setup is only using the default layouts?

Thanks

croww84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:12:47 AM »
So I ended up setting up everything (Ubuntu & AM) fresh and the HS themes work now. Not sure what I did different. Awesome! Very excited about this.

Now I'm trying to get the Displays Menu working for the Main Menu themes. I have the themes and art showing, except it's doing this really weird thing where it pulls wheel art from the system wheel folders. I can't figure out the pattern, or where I should put system theme wheels. They work  if you click on them and open the correct system "Display", but the wheel images obviously do not match. I know this isn't completely supported yet in AM, but I was surprised to see how close it is to working. If anyone has any pointers, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »
HyperSpin themes use the HyperSpin folder structure and naming convention. You can look at this http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=974.msg7336#msg7336

HyperSpin themes use artwork (snaps,wheels,etc.) defined by the Attract-Mode emulator.cfg and not the default HyperSpin paths. Artwork for the "Display Menu" (you're calling the system menu) is stored in /.attract/menu-art/, even when using HyperSpin themes.

croww84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
Thanks Progets!

Yep, I got most of that. Like I said, everything is actually working and I'm quite impressed. I just can't figure out how the "Display Menu" displays it's wheel images. What folder should they be in so that the "Display Menu" picks them up? The "Display Menu" is pulling random wheel images from the other Displays I have setup.

To be clear, my "Displays" and wheels are working fine. It's just the "Display Menu" wheels that I'm having issues with.

Sorry for mixing AM and HS terminology here. I've tried to keep it relevant to AM this time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 12:45:13 PM »
As mentioned above, the "Display Menu" wheel artwork are stored in /.attract/menu-art/wheel/.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:27:27 PM by progets »

croww84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 01:28:16 PM »
So just like that? It's really that easy? No sub-folder? Can't wait to try it when I get home. I will thank you in advance!!

croww84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
That did the trick! Thank you so much Progets!

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 12:14:27 AM »
NP. Glad you got it working.