Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3 Image  (Read 52455 times)

MikesArcade

• View Profile
Raspberry Pi 3 Image
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »
Is there an attract mode image that runs on the Raspberry Pi 3?

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Image
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:54:53 AM »
Not yet.
I unboxed my rpi3 last night and trying to get dietpi Jessie edition to run on it.

dtyge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »
Started working on this myself last night -- since my PI3 finally showed up.

Did not have any problems getting attractmode to compile and  run on the default raspian image provided on the NOOBS :) card that came with my PI3....(using the instructions I found on this forum). 

Biggest divide right now is that most of the "pre boxed"  pi emulation scene is dedicated to framebuffer setups (like RetroPI) to avoid the overhead of X -- and attractmode requires X.   

Would be sweet to have an out of the box process like RetroPI that included attractmode as the default FE....Since it is so much prettier and more flexible than EmulationStation.

Personally,  I have not had any issues running any of the pre compiled emulators inside of X --- but I am dead set on having a clean (up to date) Retroarch/Libretro implementation with all working libraries, that is front ended by Attractmode.   Don't really have the time to wait 24 hrs for everything to compile itself....

Was almost there last night until I realized that RetroPie uses emulationstation to handle controller config and have somehow disabled RGUI  (at least I could not figure out how to invoke RGUI on the RetroPie retroartch binary to manually configure my gamepad like I normally would with all other RetroArch implementations -- and did not have enough time to manually add the cfg's for my gamepad).....So I am stuck there for the moment.

Tonight I am going to go just opposite,  and try to install the RetroPie image and get everything configured and running -- and then turn off Emulation Station -- and then install X and then try to compile and install attractmode on the retropie image itself....That to me would be cleaner (and more lean)  than what I tried last night.

dtyge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
Update:  It worked.   2.1 GB disk space total with Retropie + Attractmode with barebones X.

Took me a few minutes to see how RetroPie handled all of it's configs....but it works like a charm

here is an example of an Attratmode config example for GBA (without the artwork lines):

executable           /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch
args                 -L  /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-vba-next/vba_next_libret
ro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/gba/retroarch.cfg "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie//roms/gba
romext               .gba
system               Nintendo Game Boy Advance (GBA)
info_source          thegamesdb.net

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:44:05 PM »
Update:  It worked.   2.1 GB disk space total with Retropie + Attractmode with barebones X.

Took me a few minutes to see how RetroPie handled all of it's configs....but it works like a charm

Did exactly this a few days ago, works great.  I have it booting directly into AM now as well, so much nicer than RetroPie IMO.

tobot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:00:37 AM »
I would love to try out AM on my new Pi3, not savvy enough to do it but I can take instructions, can some kind soul please do a step-by-step guide?

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »
DietPi distro i use is only updating jessie for rpi3.
Unfortunately the libav dev libraries seem to have broken dependencies.

so i'm dead in the water until I find a different distro.
Maybe miniban.

dtyge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:34:50 AM »
I would love to try out AM on my new Pi3, not savvy enough to do it but I can take instructions, can some kind soul please do a step-by-step guide?

The guide in the wiki worked great for me on both the Vanilla Raspian image and RetroPie. 

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-(Raspbian-Jessie)

I really like the RetroPie image because I am a big fan of the libretro project --- and there has been a lot of work on the RetroPie image to organize things to the 9th degree and to also include a cool setup script and precompiled binarys of most the libretro cores.   The only thing it is missing is Attractmode....And the wiki article linked above takes care of that....(Don't forget the part at the end that relates to installing xinit, since RetroPie does not have an X implementation.)

qnology

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
(Don't forget the part at the end that relates to installing xinit, since RetroPie does not have an X implementation.)

How about the ffmpeg part? I'm brand new to Attract Mode, but interested in the video previews that is similar to hyperspin. Thanks

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »

Just to add to Dtyge's post.

I had to update and upgrade the RetroPie 3.6 install or wifi will drop after 2 min.

Don't forget to patch the smfl libraries from here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=523.msg3671#msg3671

If you want to boot direct into AM once you have it all setup replace "emulationstation" with "xinit attract" at the end of the second line in this directory.
/etc/profile.d/10-emulationstation.sh

At least that is what worked for me.

tobot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »
Thanks dtyge and Finhead,

About to dig in, so just a quick recap to make sure I have the steps right;

1. Clean install Retropie 3.6
2. update and upgrade
3. Install dependencies for SFML and AM
4. patch SMFL libraries
5. Download and build SFML
6. Build AM
7. Install xinit
8. Profit?

Not very clear on what I need to do to patch SMFL though. Help?

MikesArcade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 09:53:42 PM »
Ok.
I read through all the posts so far.
What exactly is 'X'?

I'm a C++ programmer by trade so not afraid to compile what I need.
The pi scene is 100% new to me.

Super detailed instructions would be nice.
Thanks!

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 09:47:27 AM »
ok, got this going on dietpi with my rpi3.
My image was corrupted just enough to break apt-get I guess.

I did not patch SFML and it compiled just fine for me without errors.
AM compiled without errors also.

just trying to get shader's to work with LR-mame2003 now.

qnology

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
Nice.

I'm brand new to attract mode (familiar hyperspin on a PC and EmulationStation on the Pi) and just received my Pi 3. Would love to give your image a try when it's ready.

Thank you for sharing your work!

Q

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
I didn't patch SFML either, I think it's only needed for odroid but I could be wrong.

For ffmpeg,  sudo apt-get ffmpeg install will work fine for low quality videos. But, if you want HD you need to compile with some specific flags, I think.

Tip: you can rerun ./sudo retropie_setup.sh post install to add more emulators, install xbox &  ps3 controller drivers and also change whether or not emulationstation auto starts.