Author Topic: WinXP 32-bit work better with newer versions  (Read 4730 times)

erzak

• View Profile
WinXP 32-bit work better with newer versions
« on: February 06, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »
Is there any evidence that version 2.4 or 2.5 fix any of the issues when using AM on a PC with WinXP 32-bit?  Specifically, the issue where AM freezes up after an hour or so of running.  I never got that resolved, so I've been using F.E.E.L. on my MAME machine since it works, though I preferred the look/style/feel of AM better.

I suppose the best solution is to update the OS on the PC, but that would most likely require a more powerful PC.  I toyed with the idea of installing Win7 on it, but I haven't been able to find a place that sells (valid) Win7 keys lately.

xbs

• View Profile
Re: WinXP 32-bit work better with newer versions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:44 AM »
Try using AM version 2.4 or 2.5 for a couple of hours and let us know if the issue still occurs :D

You can buy valid Win7 keys on hrkgame.com for about 6€.

erzak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:46:38 AM »
I will give 2.4/2.5 a try this weekend.  From my recollection, there is not an install routine for AM, you just extract it from an archive?  Is it possible to have multiple versions installed on the same PC?  Would be nice to not have to disturb my 2.3.0 install to try out 2.4 and/or 2.5.

Further question, has the freezing issue show up in 32-bit Win7, or was it just confined to XP?  I don't believe this PC would run 64-bit anything, at least not well.  At some point, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it said it could handle 32-bit Win7, but I think it said no to 64-bit.  Tried to run it again, and the Advisor app can't access the pertinent Microsoft server (guessing it doesn't exist anymore).

My other thought is to replace the computing guts of my cabinet.  Either buy a refurbished/not-quite-as-old PC that comes with a more modern OS, or go with a Raspberry Pi.  The monitor in my cabinet uses HDMI, audio is thru a 3.5mm jack, and all of my controls are USB-based (IPAC2, couple of Ultrastik 360's, and a SpinTrak and U-Trak that both plug into the IPAC2).  All of that should work with a Pi, correct?  A Pi appeals to me from both a cost standpoint, and it should be a lot quieter/cooler.  I haven't played around with a Pi at all, but it sounds like there are several pre-compiled MAME-ready builds (Retropie, etc.) that enable one to jump right in, and I see that AM works on it as well.  Though I think I've read that the Pi won't run the latest versions of MAME, and some newer games won't run on it?  Think I've got 0191 running on the XP machine, and haven't bothered to update it.  I'm not worried about playing any modern games on it, more concerned that my controls will work.

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »
last time I updated there was no install routine for AM, just extract. You can have multiple AM on the same PC.

I'm using W7 on my cabinet for a year now and I haven't experience any freezes yet.

A RPi is far more energy efficient than a PC, generates less heat and less noise but a RPi3 + mSD + Power Supply can cost more than an used PC.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:26:33 AM by xbs »

erzak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »
But is your Win7 32 or 64 bit version?  My recollection is that the main issue was with 32 bit XP, but I don't remember if people had experienced issues with 64 bit XP or 32 bit Win7.

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 10:55:24 AM »
W7 32-bit.
Only have 2GB of RAM and 64-bit takes more resources and space.

erzak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 07:24:38 AM »
Installed AM 2.5 and configured it for MAME and a simple screensaver and then let it sit running, and it still locks up.  Sometimes takes more than an hour, sometimes it's less than that, seems random.  Guess I will either try to install Win7, or stick with using FEEL.  Wish I'd copied down the info from the Win7 upgrade advisor, so I have some reassurance that this PC can handle it before trying that route.

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:06:03 PM »
If you are running snap videos... there is a chance one (or more) of the vid files is corrupt locking the system up.

I had that issue.  To test,  create a new display and only stick a few roms in there... then test.  If it doesn't lock up,  the issue isn't with AM,  but with a corrupt vid.
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (updated 06-27-19)

erzak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:17:17 PM »
Or could I just move/rename the directory where snap videos are located?  I don't remember if I have videos or not.  I'm assuming they would have come from using the scrape option?  And are they in their own directory someplace?  It's been a while since I configured AM, I've slept since then...

erzak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
I checked in my snap directory, and all I have in there are .png files, so no videos.