Author Topic: How to set up attract mode on a PC step by step  (Read 233007 times)

vernontwinkie

• View Profile
Re: How to set up attract mode step by step
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »
I'm having difficultly setting AM up in Retropie, specifically the "arcade" emulator folder. I'm able to link the correct rom path but I think because the "arcade" emulator folder has the option of choosing either MAME or FBA, my roms just wont load. Any help?

I recommend booting into emulationstation so you can configure it that way. Make sure you know which MAME version each rom is using (similar to trying to play a PS2 game on an Xbox). When opening a game, you can press a button to open the config options. This lets you set a default for all roms in the folder as well as a default for each individual rom. After you've verified they work, you can switch back to AM in the retropie option in ES. Then all should be good to go.

spannernick1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 12:47:32 AM »
Can you chose what emulator display loads up on start up,What I mean is,you start AM and it loads up the Sega Mega CD list Layout first,if so how..?

mbruck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 06:37:49 PM »
So I'm totally new to using Attract Mode and am not extremely computer savvy (using command, etc). I followed these instructions step by step (and triple-checked that was the case), but my roms won't play. They show up and I've accurately listed to the path to my emulators (I've tried Nestopia, MAME, and ZNES), but when I hit enter while on the rom nothing occurs. Does anyone have any advice as to what I'm missing here?

I looked pretty hard for an answer on this forum before asking this question so please let me know if I missed something! I should note that the roms work fine if I open my emulators outside of Attract Mode. I know it's a very simple question, but I'd greatly appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:30:37 PM by mbruck »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 08:19:13 PM »
mbruck-

You can load them from the gui..ok then your emulator is set up correctly. Can you load them from the command line? This is how attract mode starts your emulator. What operating system are you using?

You say you tried mame? if you can start mame from the command line you are usually good.
For other emulators it can be a little more difficult and it depends on the emulator..try over in the emulators thread for help there.
Do note that you need quotes around the name of the rom if it has spaces: Sonic the...<-- will not work! "Sonic the..." <-- Will work

This is done in AM like this "[romfilename]" on the args line..normally this is already default for these emulators

In your command prompt you need to type (for example) snes9x.exe "C:\snes\roms\Super Mario World.zip" to see it it loads. if I loads like that then your rom and emu are fine you need to look at your am config file for that emulator and make sure it's right.

1. knowing your OS will help
2. Any error messages if any will help
3. maybe a post of your cfg file

We need that information to be able to help you

People want life easy..then complain about it

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 08:26:09 PM »
spannernick1-

Yes you can you'll have to edit the "attract.cfg" file in your attractmode folder.

make sure to make a backup of your attract.cfg before doing this unless you know what you are doing!
you can reorder the displays anyway you like you can cut the information from "display..." down to "rule favorite equals 1" (include the 1!) now you can paste it where you like. I have mine set in "bit-order" 8,16,32,64

mbruck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the assistance.

I'm using Windows 10. 64 bit

Here is my cfg for NES. Anything jump out as incorrect?:

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.0-1
#
executable           "G:\WDSmartWare.swstor\M\Volume1\Documents\ExternalData\VideoGames\NES\NESEmulator.exe"
args                 [romfilename]
rompath              G:\WDSmartWare.swstor\M\Volume1\Documents\ExternalData\VideoGames\NES\NESRomset
romext               .nes;.zip
system               Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
info_source          thegamesdb.net
artwork    flyer           
artwork    marquee         
artwork    snap            G:\WD SmartWare.swstor\M\Volume 1\Documents\ExternalData\VideoGames\NES\Videosnap
artwork    wheel           

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »

so very sorry for my late reply! your args line is incorrect
Code: [Select]
args                 "[romfilename]"
is the correct setup (yes you include the quotes)
remember command lines don't like spaces..the quotes tell the interpreter to see it as one whole string thus is sees it as sonictheheadgehog.zip ..sorta speak..

you don't have this problem in mame because there are no spaces in the name..and why you don't have to use quotes..

peter40

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 05:02:17 AM »
Hello guys thanks for the good works..

2 quick questions with MAME I have 2 issues

1- On the wheels systems i did not have any image and video for MAME LIBRETRO but I have have for for advance MAME and for MAME for all do you know how to solve that?

2- With MAME again when I have roms with 2 or more files to start do you know who to hide the other parts because i have to put 2 or more  image and video for the same game or it has question mark?

thanks for your reply

Pierre

mbruck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »

so very sorry for my late reply! your args line is incorrect
args                 "[romfilename]"
is the correct setup (yes you include the quotes)
remember command lines don't like spaces..the quotes tell the interpreter to see it as one whole string thus is sees it as sonictheheadgehog.zip ..sorta speak..

you don't have this problem in mame because there are no spaces in the name..and why you don't have to use quotes..
I can now get games to open, but they don't open within Attract Mode. Attempting to open a game within the front-end opens it in Nestopia separately from Attract Mode. Any idea why it's doing that? I didn't see an answer elsewhere in the forum to fix this issue. Once I can get this I will hopefully be done asking you questions. I appreciate all of your help!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »
I can now get games to open, but they don't open within Attract Mode. Attempting to open a game within the front-end opens it in Nestopia separately from Attract Mode. Any idea why it's doing that? I didn't see an answer elsewhere in the forum to fix this issue. Once I can get this I will hopefully be done asking you questions. I appreciate all of your help!

"Separately from attract mode"....
that sounds correct but...I'm thinking you mean something else...

does it open and then attractmode is in the background? or something else?

mbruck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 04:47:17 AM »
"Separately from attract mode"....
that sounds correct but...I'm thinking you mean something else...

does it open and then attractmode is in the background? or something else?

Yes, that is correct. i.e. I play a rom for NES and the Nestopia emulator pops up and starts running with attractmode in the background. The rom/emulator doesn't boot directly within attractmode.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »
Ok well that seems like it is working correctly then. However nestopia may not be running full screen. Thus "hiding" attract mode. So you need to check your args line or settings in nestopia. I'll have to grab nestopia to help you better.

I use retroarch or fceux for nes/fds..I'm installing the retropie image on my pc at the moment so I'm not sure when I can can get back to you.

Now I remember why I never used nestopia..it doesn't support 4-player mode...odd the libretro core does...anyhow...

attract mode should come with a pre-configured config file for nestopia...is that the one you are using?

ok to fix this with netopia..here is what you do...

change your args line for your nes emulator configuration in attract mode to this first:

executable           nestopia
args                  -fd "[romfilename]"

if not try this:

find your nestopia.conf file (it has nothing to do with attarctmode...it is in your nestopia folder most likely.) open it in notepad and edit these lines:

fullscreen=0
change it to

fullscreen=1
this makes nestopia to start in full screen after loading the rom/game

now change

disable_gui=0
change it to

disable_gui=1
this makes it to where you can exit with the escape key

try that and let me know :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:59:50 PM by akafox »

thegame918

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 05:09:03 AM »
Hello everyone!! I am new to Retropie/attract mode as well. I have everything running pretty great so far except Reicast and getting it to recognize a PS4 controller but that's another story, haha! I used Ray's image and updated attract mode and everything. Now I would like to add emulators to attract mode and have them show up on the wheel and function properly. Please, if anyone can walk me through this or point me in the right direction/thread, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
There is a mini step by step for the raspberry pi here:

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1297.0

Chef_Fluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »
Hi I just compiled attract mode on my pi 3 running the latest version of retropie. Install worked and I was able to enter attract mode but am having difficulty with my emulator configurations.

They all appear to be correct and I put them in /home/pi/attract/config/emulators.

I deleted the default ones that were in that folder and placed the ones I have there. Rebooted the system and they do not show up in the emulator list. I have attached a few of my config files each is essentially the same just made the changes per system. Would really appreciate the help. Thank you  :)