Author Topic: 2 player games - 2 controllers  (Read 3375 times)

PixelFreak

• View Profile
2 player games - 2 controllers
« on: March 01, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
I have beat myself up over the last few days, just grinding, resetting, installing/removing drivers, etc. and I think I might have answered my own problem but want to confirm.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B, running latest version of HyperPie 2, which uses Attract Mode.

I have successfully installed xboxdrv for the wireless USB adapter for Xbox 360 controllers, have them both mapped and running just fine.
To confirm this, I am able to play 2 player games.  For example, I can fire up Gauntlet2P in Mame2003, and can play two players simultaneous going through the dungeons, collecting treasure and potions and keys...

However, whenever I play one-at-a-time 2 player games (e.g. Donkey Kong US Set 2, Bagman) in Mame2003, only the first controller works to control Player 2.

Now, is this by design?  A limitation of the ROM itself and not the emulator?  The more I thought about it, those original cabinets only had one control stick...but it seems like the emulator should be able to control the inputs regardless of the original design (obviously).

So, my question is:
Is it possible to have controller 2 control player 2 in one-at-a-time style arcade games like Bagman or Donkey Kong?
(Again, all bindings are proper, retroarch has Player 2 bound and defined, pointing to the correct device [xbox wireless receiver (#2) for player 2 input], and all simultaneous 2 player games work with controller 2 without issue).

TIA,
Pixel

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2 player games - 2 controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:53:06 PM »
One of my favorite games is galaga. It is a two player game, ALTERNATING. This means that the players share the same controls, and each take alternating turns.

You either need to find a version of the game, if available, that is not alternating, or use a key binding app like autohotkey for windows, which could get messy. I would just use the game as intended.

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:28:02 AM »
These games were supposed to be playable by single player at a time and players took turns on same controls. Like Keil mentioned earlier, these are Alternating control schemes as opposed to Simultaneous. MAME recognizes this and you can use tools to create/ list games which use either type.

If you want to force two players control scheme on an Alternating title you can use Retroarch's per game control scheme and map it so same control is used by both players.

pecosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:59:15 AM »
The above info is correct.

If it means a lot to you and you don't want to screw up your entire config you can hit Tab and adjust your "per game" settings so that the controls are duplicated in just that game.  Then you gotta trust your buddy not to sabotage you while you're playing.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »

Then you gotta trust your buddy not to sabotage you while you're playing.

LOL First thing I thought reading this thread :D