Author Topic: Vertical snaps scrambled  (Read 7585 times)

Mettekr

• View Profile
Vertical snaps scrambled
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »
Hey guys. I'm running AM on Xubuntu 14.04 (converted from Windows 7), and everything is great as expected, save for one strange quirk...any of my snap videos for vertical games show up completely scrambled. Normal horizontal games snaps are fine, it's just the vertical ones. They are scrambled in the screen saver as well. It's really weird. They play fine outside of AM with Xubuntu's built in media player as well as in VLC. Any ideas?
Attached are screenshots of a horizontal snap working fine and a scrambled vertical snap.

[attachment deleted by admin]

h0tw1r3

• Hackety hack
    • View Profile
    • Latest Builds
Re: Vertical snaps scrambled
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:02:46 AM »
I'm not able to reproduce on ArchLinux.
Are you compiling from the latest repository source? If not, try that.

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
I'm using the attract_1.6.2_i386.deb since I'm using an Ubuntu based system, which is found here: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=485.0
I didn't do any additional compiling or work apart from double clicking the deb file and installing.

h0tw1r3

• Hackety hack
    • View Profile
    • Latest Builds
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 04:44:25 PM »
I just installed xubuntu 14.04 i386 on a virtual machine and installed the same deb package. All the videos looked fine.

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »
I really appreciate the trouble you're going through to help me out here. One question, as I have a theory...what is the file extension for the vertical videos you have that were working? All of mine were flv (since I am a Hyperspin convert and they use to only use flv). I'm going to try to convert a couple to mp4 tonight and see if that works.

h0tw1r3

• Hackety hack
    • View Profile
    • Latest Builds
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:42:14 AM »
Mine are all mp4. Could you attach one of the flv videos to this post that are not working?

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
I can't believe that's it...I just converted one of the vertical flv's to mp4 online and put it in my folder and it worked...so if this really is the problem, i'll need to now get all of video snaps just for the vertical games as mp4...that should be fun.
But for you to test, here's a vertical flv for dkong

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
Fyi, I ended up running an ffmpeg script overnight  to just convert my entire folder of mame vids from flv to mp4 (9 gigs) and now everything works perfectly. Thanks so much for helping me get to the bottom of this!

h0tw1r3

• Hackety hack
    • View Profile
    • Latest Builds
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
I can't believe that's it...

Believe it.

As I suspected the bug was fixed after 1.6.2 was released.

Try the attached deb. Worked for me on Xubuntu 14.04.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 07:52:57 AM »
Thanks man. I'll try this deb out tonight, even though I already converted my vids. Is this an "official" release?

h0tw1r3

• Hackety hack
    • View Profile
    • Latest Builds
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »
No, it's not official. I just checked out the latest code and created the package to compare against the one you installed.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
I should have include the needed deb on that to re-sample it properly thanks for pointing that out. I'll look it to it myself. I had the same problem a year ago. It can happen. Honestly with flash being such a security issues It would be better to convert to mp4..but that is just my opinion nothing more. (And this is just and arcade cab right?)

Strange it is just the vertical though.   ???

there is a program for linux that will convert everything as a batch it's called handbrake. I don't know much about it though. Check the repo..pm me if you need help
People want life easy..then complain about it

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 08:28:18 AM »
Thanks guys. Like I said, I did go ahead and convert all of my mame vids just with a ffmpeg script. I have heard of handbrake and have used it to convert mkv to mp4 before. As of now, the flv files work for all of my other systems, since only mame has vertical snaps. Doing my conversion, I noticed the mp4 files are a bit smaller, so I may go ahead and convert them all anyway to save some space.

Thanks again to h0tw1r3 for helping me figure this out and to akafox for the ubuntu debs all together.