Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 - with RetroPie  (Read 523388 times)

Omamez

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi 2 and Pi 3
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2016, 11:42:52 PM »
horaaay  :P

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
Alrighty, I had some free time this morning to test advmame. Finhead, thanks for making me take apart my working config, JK. :p

Ok, here's the deal. Like Nitro has already pointed out, advmame is awfully slow running out of x. The reason is advmame and some other emulators in emulationstation are configured to run on framebuffer. Thank god for retroarch, right?

Anyway, to get advmame to launch from attract you need to edit this /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/advmame-1.4.rc file and change at least these two lines. This will stop the video and keyboard errors.   

To this...
device_keyboard auto  // which was set to raw
device_video auto      // which was set to fb

Here is the emulator config I used.

executable           /opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/1.4/bin/./advmame
args                 "[name]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-advmame

That said, all this is really pointless because the games are barely playable. But, but.. we might be able to get around this by creating a script to close am then exec advmame and on exit have it run attract again.

What do you think Nitro?

noxx

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »
hello,

its my first post here and my first contact with AM.

i had install v2 and it runs, but only the emulator mode (most games, but problems with neogeo)

so, if i start my pi with AM-Mode i have 2 Boxes. Left with 6 entry (Kodi, ....), Right is emtpy.

Where can i find a guide or perhaps anyone can help: How can i add a GameMenu here?

Thx

Regard

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »
hello,

i had install v2 and it runs, but only the emulator mode (most games, but problems with neogeo)

so, if i start my pi with AM-Mode i have 2 Boxes. Left with 6 entry (Kodi, ....), Right is emtpy.

Where can i find a guide or perhaps anyone can help: How can i add a GameMenu here?

Thx

Regard

If your just starting out with AM and the Retropie img Foolb made I would watch his video on how to setup your emulators and Displays.
I believe your most likely on the screen that tells you to hit TAB to configure and really that is what you would want to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG0P7S3U3lE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrXe3icI-mI

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 10:44:26 AM »
Alrighty, I had some free time this morning to test advmame. Finhead, thanks for making me take apart my working config, JK. :p

Ok, here's the deal. Like Nitro has already pointed out, advmame is awfully slow running out of x. The reason is advmame and some other emulators in emulationstation are configured to run on framebuffer. Thank god for retroarch, right?

Anyway, to get advmame to launch from attract you need to edit this /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/advmame-1.4.rc file and change at least these two lines. This will stop the video and keyboard errors.   

To this...

That said, all this is really pointless because the games are barely playable. But, but.. we might be able to get around this by creating a script to close am then exec advmame and on exit have it run attract again.

What do you think Nitro?

Thanks for the hassle, shows I wasn't crazy it doesn't work. lol  ;)

And no worries about trying to get it working I have desided to roll back to using EmulationStation since it works with all the MAME emulators nicely. Besides RetroPie has that handy ARCADE folder I can just dump all my MAME roms into and use them from one place rather than multiple screens. Makes for a nice tidy frontend, and really the games are what I want to use on this machine not the frontend.  ;D

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »
SDL for video mode then auto when it complains about the keyboard type.
Not sure if that was meant for the AdvMAME issue? If yes no idea what that means. lol

sorry, yes advmame.
SDL is the video mode.
then it complains about the keyboard type when you run it. :)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 12:19:32 PM »

To this...

What do you think Nitro?
If you had a 320x240 resolution monitor advmame would run gloriously.
There used to be an overlay video mode in advmame .106 that gave you fullspeed on X windows but looked like hell on an LCD.
.94 doesn't seem to have that option.
Have to check .106. If you had a TV or arcade monitor with low res it might not look too bad.

Personally I think changing all the sdl1 calls to SDL2 or installing an SDL1 dispmanx back end would work better than a script to kill & restart X when we run advmame.
Though I tried to install sdl1 dispmanx to enable hardware scaling & borke my jesse distro. :)

something i've started looking at.
https://wiki.libsdl.org/MigrationGuide

almost looks like a search & replace would take care of the majority of what keeps it from compiling under sdl2.
i'm sure it isn't that simple but i'm going to give it a shot over the next few weeks.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
Yeah, overlay is still there. I tried that too.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »
Yeah, overlay is still there. I tried that too.

I got decent speed on some roms tonight by turning off all scaling and setting resolution to 320x240.
But even then mk2 was 70%.

noxx

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
hello,

Thx

Regard

If your just starting out with AM and the Retropie img Foolb made I would watch his video on how to setup your emulators and Displays.
I believe your most likely on the screen that tells you to hit TAB to configure and really that is what you would want to do.

thx.....

i think, i understand the config. but
but, i want only one screen, for all roms and emulator.

e.g. if a "import" mame-roms and snes-roms, i have two screens (can switch with left/right)

how can i put all roms in one screen? eg GAMES

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
hello,

Thx

Regard

thx.....

i think, i understand the config. but
but, i want only one screen, for all roms and emulator.

e.g. if a "import" mame-roms and snes-roms, i have two screens (can switch with left/right)

how can i put all roms in one screen? eg GAMES

As far as I know that is not possible (I could be wrong though) since the roms use a different emulator and each Display is linked to a different emulator.

chrisvg

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
you can do it with the command line... combine multiple emulator types while generating a list.. run attract -h for details.

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:56 AM »
you can do it with the command line... combine multiple emulator types while generating a list.. run attract -h for details.

Wonldn't happen to be a tutorial on this anywhere would there? It's pretty vague on the optioin screen.

chrisvg

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:03 PM »

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2016, 09:44:09 PM »
Hi guys, I've fixed up the custom version of SFML some more and I think we can now get rid of the X dependency when running attract-mode on the pi.

It is working for me on my (admittedly outdated) pi testing setup.  I haven't tried it yet with floob's image.  Any help testing would be greatly appreciated.

You "just" have to be prepared to recompile SFML to get it going... here it is (see the readme.md for instructions):  https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi