Author Topic: ArcadeBliss - Cab Edition: 2016-05-16 Update  (Read 48098 times)

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
ArcadeBliss - Cab Edition: 2016-05-16 Update
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
Since I "completed" my original ArcadeBliss theme for use in my bartop, it was time to create something for my full-size cab. Since my full-size cab only has one admin button - ESC, I needed a way for people to navigate the front-end in a cab environment only using a joystick, one select button, and the esc button. As opposed to my previous Hyperspin setup, ease-of-use was the top motivator.

Introducing - ArcadeBliss - Cab Edition
Youtube --> https://youtu.be/2vI431o6J3o
Download Link --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqeiqo0fen2qsyo/ArcadeBliss%20Cab%20Edition.zip?dl=0

Features:
  • Navigational main menu included directly on the home screen
  • Fully customized filter menu showing a grid of filters as images or text if images are not available
  • Integrated Search Menu
  • add remove favorites straight from the search menu
  • Responsive Menu UI - Fully Animated
  • layout options for forum member suggested mods
  • Customizable Menu Item names for displays and filters. Useful for renaming filters to "genres" or displays to "emulators" (I have removable panels for each display)
  • Favorites indicator when navigating the gamelist
  • Selected Display mini icon (or text if an image is missing)
  • Selected Filters list readout
  • Clock (in case you wife wants you to do something else at a specific time)
  • Select mods suggested from the community from layout options
  • Optimized for 4:3 Arcade Monitor use
Let me know your feedback and feature suggestions!

Thanks goes out to:
- OUYA, for the menu idea
- liquid8 for the search and animate code
- of course raygun (nuff said)

Directions
- Install the font located in the Assets directory "BorisBlackBloxx.ttf"

Changelog
see post: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=741.msg5779#msg5779
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:03:00 PM by ArcadeBliss »

chrisvg

• View Profile
Re: ArcadeBliss - Cab Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 10:48:43 PM »
Very nice work, it looks very cool :)

This of course means that FLAT BLUE will be delayed even longer as I go and steal some of your ideas!  :P

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 10:55:20 PM »
Go for it. While I am working on the search menu, I have no problem letting you have the WIP code.

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
This is truly top notch work! And I was already a fan of your previous 'arcadebliss' layout, which I had posted about as well and currently use on my pc. The only thing that concerns me (with this newer version) is the very large menu underneath the videos. It seems to be taking up a lot of space, and what I wondered was, is this menu going to be included in the default layout? In other words, will the user always have to look at the "Add Favorite" "Choose Filter" "Change Panel" etc. ? This seems to be more of an "options" menu, rather than something that should stay on the screen all of the time, while the user is scrolling through the videos/gamelist. Just some observations/suggestions for what appears to be another amazing layout for attractmode  :D

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 12:25:10 AM »
This is truly top notch work! And I was already a fan of your previous 'arcadebliss' layout, which I had posted about as well and currently use on my pc. The only thing that concerns me (with this newer version) is the very large menu underneath the videos. It seems to be taking up a lot of space, and what I wondered was, is this menu going to be included in the default layout? In other words, will the user always have to look at the "Add Favorite" "Choose Filter" "Change Panel" etc. ? This seems to be more of an "options" menu, rather than something that should stay on the screen all of the time, while the user is scrolling through the videos/gamelist. Just some observations/suggestions for what appears to be another amazing layout for attractmode  :D

I understand your points. Yes the menu will always be there - it is part of the layout. In effect, I created custom menus that have nothing to do with the built-in attractmode functionality.

I have guests using my cab who have no idea how to navigate a frontend. I used to use hyperspin and it was always difficult for my guest to change panels, filters, or just plain search for games. My goal with this layout was to ensure anyone with the ability to turn on my cab will be able find games and just play.

In any case, your points are giving me some inspiration for a third layout :)

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »
The features being added for the end user in themes continues to add to the value of Attractmode.

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:25:12 PM »
So I am getting close to releasing this. The search menu is complete, the standard attractmode menus have been themed and all genre and display graphics have been created. Just two things left to do.

First post has been updated with a new video: https://youtu.be/2vI431o6J3o

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 02:37:20 AM »
When leaving the search portion is it just joystick up return to the navigating of games?

I thought I saw a mouse cursor in video.

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 03:18:59 AM »
At anytime you  can move up to navigate the list.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 03:46:56 AM »
Excellent. I was using my ouya in portrait mode for a while, but I gave up on it because the OUYA specific games didn't run in vertical mode properly.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
Looks absolutely awesome. :) Like the search feature. I have to ask Anyone willing to make a screen saver. One that plays a random game..then if you like the game you can put a virtual coin in and start the game.

Also I was wondering about a control layout. Kinda like CP Wizard does?

If they can been done in the front end/layout it would be portable I would think..good for everyone.
People want life easy..then complain about it

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »
This might come off wrong, but I'm digging that mobile cart beside your arcade in the picture. I definitely could use something like that, is it custom made? The arcade is not bad either but I can't take my eyes off that damn cart. LOL...

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »
There's something about practical things that draw my attention as well. Yes, the cart is custom made. Just some screws, a forstner bit, wood, and a chop saw is all you need to get something like this made. If you want me to pm more detailed info regarding it, let me know.

Funny thing is though, I need more space :)

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »
@ArcadeBliss - very very nice drooling all over you're cab and control panel setup did i say I'm drooling lol hahaha

well done I love clean ui and clean cab with simplcity to function and operate well done  ;D

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 09:40:43 AM »
Just want to say this is awesome!! I'm confused though, is this available yet? I don't see a download link..

edit: Oh I see, waiting on perfection like me ;D