Author Topic: HUD 1.0.7 theme  (Read 20679 times)

Giacomo1982

• View Profile
HUD 1.0.7 theme
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
HUD 1.0.7 theme for Attract Mode 2.6.0

DOWNLOAD
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/sfkh5xco8rdil9rkp8ijz/h?dl=0&rlkey=rvxvc1n0gwt8t03f2p2ue1fhf
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 12:53:29 PM by Giacomo1982 »

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
Re: New theme - HUD 1.0.0
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »
wow i was checking this beta off discord, but now.....
OMG...    scripting on a new level....great job and thanks for sharing the finished copy''
thanks for the props to Oomek. he has done alot for us all here..and to you for the theme

just proves the power of AM...and what is to come....

yowsa.. :D
help a friend....

Giacomo1982

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »
Thanks jedione it's a pleasure that someone appreciate my work

Steven Campoli

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
Thai looks awesome! Good work! Is their a option to a horizontal wheel instead of list box ?

Giacomo1982

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
Thanks, sorry there's no wheel option, but if you want I can help you to add it.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »
Cool layout! Thanks for sharing.

My 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt...

I see that this layout is using the "extras" field of the romlist.txt for the game overview which is a dated workaround. AM has used the "Overview" feature for a while and it's an overall better solution/option. I was able to use the newer "Overview" option with a couple of quick edits of the layout.nut.

Many of my (and most) romlist.txt "Category" fields contain the "/" which causes no art_by_category image to show up in the layout even though there is matching art. The "/" should be seen as an and/or but instead causes no image to be shown. Some examples: "Action / Adventure", "Action / Puzzle", "Action / Platform", etc.

If you're going to have those slick system configuration translation .nut files you should "go-to-town" and really build out the lists and nicknames (or at least add RocketLauncher aliases to the lists) either in this layout or as a module or plugin. It would be helpful for others using this layout or expanding on other layouts as well as people using RocketLaucher or coming from any FE that uses RL.

Again, take it with a grain of salt. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:34:38 PM by progets »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 12:33:37 AM »
I see that this layout is using the "extras" field of the romlist.txt for the game overview which is a dated workaround. AM has used the "Overview" feature for a while and it's an overall better solution/option. I was able to use the newer "Overview" option with a couple of quick edits of the layout.nut.

I tried to use the Overview field in the past but it was always empty, you have to scrape with AM to obtain overviews? I ask this because all my Mame data comes from .dat files and I don't use AM scraping...

Giacomo1982

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 12:47:14 AM »

Many of my (and most) romlist.txt "Category" fields contain the "/" which causes no art_by_category image to show up in the layout even though there is matching art. The "/" should be seen as an and/or but instead causes no image to be shown. Some examples: "Action / Adventure", "Action / Puzzle", "Action / Platform", etc.

If you're going to have those slick system configuration translation .nut files you should "go-to-town" and really build out the lists and nicknames (or at least add RocketLauncher aliases to the lists) either in this layout or as a module or plugin. It would be helpful for others using this layout or expanding on other layouts as well as people using RocketLaucher or coming from any FE that uses RL.

Thanks progets!
Usign Overview cause me issues, I mean when there isn't a gameoverview.txt AM show me the previous description intead an empty field. Extra works perfectly in that case and also works the function that writes "MISSING EXTRA".

To solve the category problem, Action / Adventure... you have to add these genres in the art_by_category.nut. T
he / doesn't cause issues, the problem is the lack of these genres

example:
act = [ "action", "action / adventure" ];

It's important writing lower case

Can you tell me your categories to I add it in the class arrays?
Thanks man!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:52:56 AM by Giacomo1982 »

Giacomo1982

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 12:57:45 AM »
I tried to use the Overview field in the past but it was always empty, you have to scrape with AM to obtain overviews? I ask this because all my Mame data comes from .dat files and I don't use AM scraping...

Paolo you have to put overview files.txt in this folder
example for mastersystem
attract-v2.4.0-win64\scraper\mastersystem\overview\Alex Kidd - High-Tech World (USA, Europe).txt

to find all overview files, you have to search for DAVID MARTI or if you want I can give you mines.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 10:29:51 PM »
There's no need to change anything for me. I was just providing feedback that might help others. Truth be told, I think there are a bunch of great AM layouts but I've modified them all to suit my needs and setup, it's just the nature of the hobby.

I (and anyone else) that builds romlists using thegamesdb.net will have many categories with the "/". I do use mame to provide data for arcade games and some other systems but obviously mame doesn't support or have info for systems like PS2, Wii, GameCube, etc. Also, for all the mame supported systems you can use the history.dat file and not need the "extra" field of the romlist.txt or the "Overview.txt" file.

I don't have any issue with this theme using the previous game's "Overview" if no "Overview" is present. I modified the layout to show "Missing Extra" (in red) just like it would if I use the "extra" field of the romlist.txt. The biggest problem with using the "extra" field of the romlist.txt to store information is that you can't generate new romlists without having to manually move a lot of data.

Thanks again for the layout. I always like to see completely new concepts verses a twist on an existing layout.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:32:31 PM by progets »

Steven Campoli

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »
i noticed to that my overviews all say missing extra...with the other themes they work...their all text files placed in scraper/overview..

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 02:40:57 AM »
Hi Giacomo, I was looking at your theme, excellent stuff and very nice logos you have there. One suggestion: you can probably save a lot of space converting your PNG logos from PNG32 to PNG8, using one online tool like this:

https://www.giftofspeed.com/png-compressor/

you won't loose any detail and some pics will be compressed more than 50% retaining transparency. Also with another tool:

https://compresspng.com/

you can reduce the number of colors (level of transparency actually) to 8 or 5, logos will look good anyway and you'll save some more space

Just my 2 cents ;)

Steven Campoli

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »
Thanks, sorry there's no wheel option, but if you want I can help you to add it.

I would love to see this exact thing with a wheel and cart art :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:00:06 PM by Steven Campoli »

Calab

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 12:10:40 AM »
HUD 1.0.0 theme for Attract Mode 2.4.0

Good job on this excellent layout.

I do have one suggestion, and a question.

First of all, it appears that you haven't got support for MAME in the layout. I get Unknown System appearing when using MAME with your layout. The machine is identified as "Arcade".

Second, where does the layout pull the information for the various information and artwork? Several sections of the layout just come up as "Missing" or "Not found" and I'd like to add the required info and artwork, but I don't know where to put it.

Thanks again!

Giacomo1982

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 07:32:20 AM »
Thanks Calab!

This theme show tech specs and logos of hardware machines, mame is a software that emulate arcades, that's why is not included.
Maybe in future I'll add arcades machines, like naomi, cps-2, ecc...

If you want to put a generic "Arcade" logo, it must be stored in HUD 1.0.0/assets/logos, and to make it visible you have to write your logo name in "art_by_system.nut" don't worry is very easy,
but for tech specs it does not have much sense writing data for all arcades in one generic area, because each machine has it's own specs.

Data specs are written in specs.nut, if anyone want to implement any kind of system I appreciate if will it share with me  :)

I'm finishing the 1.0.3 version with a text scroller and a more colored background.