Author Topic: Ambient Sound in Attractmode  (Read 11194 times)

bikeguychicago

• View Profile
Ambient Sound in Attractmode
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
I have a few MP3 files in the AttractMode\Sounds directory and have one of them set at the ambient sound in the Sounds settings/ However, I can not get it to play. I tried assigning this and couple of other sounds to some of the other setting to see if I could get those to work. No go on anything. Is there something special I need to do to get this working?

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Ambient Sound in Attractmode
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
I have my sounds in the "sound" folder. if you don't have one just create one and put them in there. Then in the configuration menu (TAB) choose sound. When you press enter on a selection it will highlight...press up or down. AM will cycle through the sounds yo have in your folder (you must have them in that folder.) As for your music or ambient sound it has to be in there to. (Mine is an mp3) You can also use the music plug-in to run your music. here http://arcade.hofle.com/ is what I use for my background. (Play the video snaps low on volume and then use that so it "sounds like an arcade") And I get my music from here http://ocremix.org/. And this I just run across for fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NrxMMxxUkI

I want the music to shut off during the screensaver and the movie snaps to play sound..you know so it's like an arcade attract mode :P but that is the screensaver...
People want life easy..then complain about it

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:19:29 PM »
I have a few MP3 files in the AttractMode\Sounds directory and have one of them set at the ambient sound in the Sounds settings/ However, I can not get it to play. I tried assigning this and couple of other sounds to some of the other setting to see if I could get those to work. No go on anything. Is there something special I need to do to get this working?

Is it just the one mp3 file that isn't working?  If you run from the command line do you get any type of error message?

CapnBry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
I can't get any of the sounds to work either. I've tried several MP3 files and they all play fine in Windows Media Player and MPC-HC. On the console window it just scrolls endless "Error decoding audio." error mesages.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »
I can't get any of the sounds to work either. I've tried several MP3 files and they all play fine in Windows Media Player and MPC-HC. On the console window it just scrolls endless "Error decoding audio." error mesages.

Could you try with the newest version (1.5.2) and see what happens? There have been some changes to how audio errors are handled...

CapnBry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Yup it works perfectly now with 1.5.2!

Now to get off topic, is there a way to get Attract-Mode to not take up both monitors? My second display is a marquee so it does terrible things.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:31:08 PM »
Yup it works perfectly now with 1.5.2!

Now to get off topic, is there a way to get Attract-Mode to not take up both monitors? My second display is a marquee so it does terrible things.

This was intentional with 1.5.2 for the multimonitor support.  There is a "MultiMon" plugin that you can enable to have attract-mode display marquees or other artworks on your secondary screen.

Would using the plugin work for you?

CapnBry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 05:59:19 PM »
I don't mind both monitors being used, and the multimon plugin looks great! However, attract-mode's ROM list display is spread across both monitors in fillscreen and fullscreen mode. Like the root windows is both monitors wide so half is on one screen, half is on the other. I can't seem to figure out how to restrict the rom list to the first window. The multimon plugin does list "Using monitor #2 1024x600" but monitor 2 actually is displaying half of the main screen, even the configuration menu is half on one window half on the other.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Hi CapnBry,

Multimonitor is currently broken on the windows release of 1.5.2.  I'm looking into it and hope to release a fix asap. 

CapnBry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 10:13:32 AM »
Great! I'm a software developer by trade so if you need someone to try a test build out, I am happy to help.

Also I noticed that your distributable packages have an executable with the debugging symbols in them which makes the ZIP 5MB larger than it probably needs to be. Might want to add a `strip` to the Makefile for distribution releases?

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 12:31:32 AM »
Great! I'm a software developer by trade so if you need someone to try a test build out, I am happy to help.

Also I noticed that your distributable packages have an executable with the debugging symbols in them which makes the ZIP 5MB larger than it probably needs to be. Might want to add a `strip` to the Makefile for distribution releases?

Hi there, thanks for the pointer, I'll look into putting the executable on a diet hehe.  I've just made a release to fix multiple monitors on Windows.  Your testing and feedback is certainly appreciated.  It is available here: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/releases/tag/v1.5.3

CapnBry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
I've created a new thread for the multimonitor thing rather than go off topic here because the ambient sound works great.