Author Topic: Verted -- Layout for Vertical Cabinets  (Read 12745 times)

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
Verted -- Layout for Vertical Cabinets
« on: January 08, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »
Verted Layout

Can be downloaded here: https://github.com/mahuti/Verted

This layout is intended primarily for vertical cabinets, but can be used for different sized screens. This layout will scale to any size, but is intended for use on vertical cabinets. This theme includes tabs to show snaps, flyers, cabinets, and history info (requires history.dat plugin be installed, configured, and enabled)

This layout is based off of a previous theme called "The Invaders", though largely uses different code. Primary differences from the original include bug fixes, the ability to show or hide the games list, improved tab interface with options to show/hide tabs and will disable tabs without content on a per-game basis, dynamic scaling, and selectable colors for bezel and tabs. The design is basically the same, but the code is nearly all new. I started using The Invaders theme on my cabinet, but I wanted some more flexibility, and I wanted a reason to fine-tune my Pos (dynamic positioning) module. Also, the original had some font-stretching due to differences in the sizes of my vertical monitors versus the layout. This version will scale fonts rather than stretch them.

Requirements

1. Add the animate2 and pos modules to AttractMode's modules folder.
Though I've included those 2 modules:
You can find the latest version of the animate2 module here: https://github.com/liquid8d/attract-extra/tree/master/modules
The latest version of the Pos module can be found here: https://github.com/mahuti/Pos-Module

2. You'll need to have artwork set up for the following: cabinet, flyer, marquee, snap, wheel if you want to use all of the functionality

3. To use the History/Info tab, take a look at the setup instructions under the "Show History Info Tab" instructions below

Options

Show Games list

Off by default

If enabled, shows list of games on the left-hand side.

Tabs

The tabs feature requires custom1 control be configured in AttractMode. To add a custom control go to: AttractMode Settings > controls > custom1 > add input. Once the input has been added, you can use this control to select available tabs. Tabs that have been enabled, but do not have content will be dimmed and unselectable

Show History Info Tab
Off by default

If enabled, shows the History/Info tab. To use this feature:

1. History.dat plugin must be enabled and working.
2. You must generate the History.dat plugin's index. After generating the index the first time, you may need to restart AttractMode
3. You must set the history.dat location in the layout options (even though it's already set up in the history.dat plugin)

Show Flyers Tab

Enabled by default

If enabled, shows the Flyer tab

Show Cabinets Tab

Enabled by default

If enabled, shows the Cabinets tab

Bezel Style/Color

This sets the colors for the bezel and the tabs. The bezel is the image that wraps around the snap image.

Blink the PLAY NOW graphic

When set to yes, the play now graphic will pulse

Scaling

Controls how the flyers & cabinet artwork should be scaled. Stretch will fill the entire space. Scale will scale up/down to fit the space.

Rotate

Controls how the layout should be rotated

Credit to: "The Invaders" by MarkC74,  with enhancements by FrizzleFried, ArcadeBliss and others... original posting: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2120.0 for the layout and concepts, animation, and more.

Also, this theme uses some of the history.dat code from here: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=643.0

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
Re: Verted -- Layout for Vertical Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 06:46:35 AM »
i am getting this.." the index 'charsize' does not exist"

help a friend....

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 09:36:04 AM »
Frustrating... oops. I included the wrong version of the pos module. I've updated the link with the working version. Sorry about that.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 05:49:53 PM »
thanks....will try out
help a friend....

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »
I'm interested to see if the scaling works well across different screen sizes. I tested it across a handful of sizes and screen depths here, but there is nothing like putting something into production to work the bugs out.

"I don't often test.... but when I do, I do it in production"  ;D

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 09:16:38 PM »
Just noticed after exiting a game there is a bug now with the displaying history on my arcade cabinet. I'll check local. Should be a quick fix, up until the last day or so it worked.

markc74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
That's some nice changes you made. I never ended up using it in my cab but did like the layout. I might come back to it as some point (using your code as it's nicer  ;D)

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 01:20:51 PM »
Thanks. I'm still tweaking it. Oomek is talking about 9-patch scaling for rounded corners, but I might implement something similar myself in the short term. I really hate the stretched rounded corners I look at while testing it on a widescreen. Meantime I'm also working on automatic history scrolling. About 90% working so far.

SpoonyAllen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 09:39:10 AM »
I was actually making my own theme based on my old vertical hyperspin project. While doing research i found your theme. It's great so far. One thing. I'm not sure if i'm doing this correct but i parsed the history dat and made a custom control1. the tab does pan but i don't see any history info. the area is blank. I can see scrapped arcade flyers.

If i could suggest one thing, perhaps adding the ability to remove the category and possibly add the ability to add the game title and manufacturer info at the bottom left would be nice. Sometimes the genre of the game is pretty obvious. Also sometimes the logo doesn't exactly make it aware of what the game is. Its also impossible to know what game it is if you're missing the game wheel.

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 01:24:16 PM »
Make sure the history plug-in is enabled in AM'S plug-in menu, and the path to the generated dat is also set up in the layouts options.

I agree on the other items you mentioned. Hadn't gotten around to it but they are super easy additions that I'll make sometime today or so.

SpoonyAllen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 02:54:47 PM »
Make sure the history plug-in is enabled in AM'S plug-in menu, and the path to the generated dat is also set up in the layouts options.

I agree on the other items you mentioned. Hadn't gotten around to it but they are super easy additions that I'll make sometime today or so.

I just figured it out. apparently the theme does not like using relative paths with variables. I was using $PROGDIR\mame\dats\history.dat where the theme wanted the full path to the history.dat.

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »
The theme just passes it along... maybe I'd have to add parsing for this gs like home and progdir. I wish I could just pull the path directly from the history plug-in.  I'll ask OOMek and see if its possible

P47

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 07:14:27 AM »
Very nice, just what i need for my cabinet... thk.

PS - Option for Automatic hide game list past 12 or 2 seconds ;) 

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 06:24:40 PM »
I'll take a look.

P47

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 02:39:04 AM »
Thanks, and if it is not to ask for more, a information of system are really good too.  (Mame, FBA, Favorites, etc)