Author Topic: pi4 No Sound at all in Attract mode but ok in games (FIXED)  (Read 5859 times)

scenariol113

• View Profile
pi4 No Sound at all in Attract mode but ok in games (FIXED)
« on: February 13, 2021, 02:49:28 PM »
I have no sound at all in AM.  Video snaps, wheel or menus changes...no sound at all.  If I start a game the sound works just fine.  My sound works normal when in Emulationstation but nothing in attract mode.
I have been messing with this for days now and do not know what to do.  This is a new install of AM and it has not worked no matter what I do.

Is there anything I can do or could post to help troubleshoot the problem.  I like the front end but I can not figure this issue out.

I did set the audio out to the audio jack and it does exactly the same thing. (works for games but not in AM or video snaps etc).  I set it back to hdmi and continues to do the same.

This is a ras pi4 8gb and everything has been updated but I must be missing something. 

Thanks
Frank V
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:01:00 PM by scenariol113 »

scenariol113

• View Profile
Re: pi4 No Sound at all in Attract mode but ok in games
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 08:31:14 AM »
I formatted my SD card and started with a fresh install.  I am still having the same result.  No Sound in Attract Mode.  No clicks, no sound in video previews, nada nothing.

When I play games the sound works fine.  I know this is a problem with AM and my particular installation.   Emulationstation video previews and sounds work fine.

I am thinking that AM is not compatible with the Rasp Pi4 8GB.  Any input or thoughts???

Does anyone have this installed on the Pi4 4gb or 8gb and have audio working properly in AM?

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 01:45:37 PM »
I have AM working on several Rpi4 with audio working fine. Did you install from Retrropie installer or custom build? I'm guessing that the retropie version just isn't right.

I have a script I can share later that will compile AM for rpi4. I'm only phone away from home right now, so it'll be a bit before I can send it on.

scenariol113

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »
Thank you for the reply.

1st off, I have not impatiently asked for help.  This is after countless hours (days actually) of getting dizzy trying to sort this out.  I am testing rasp pi and mini-pc for an arcade cabinet.  I would like to use this rasp pi 4 tho and not the mini-pc. 

I installed the image directly from retropie uk and installed attract mode from source thru the op system.  Is there a better suggestion for in image bc I am willing.

Linux is not my specialty but I am not afraid of doing my homework and have been on this latest project.  I can hold my own usually with a pc but this is just not goin to well at the moment...LOL

I installed the "experimental" pegasus-fe and all sounds and snaps etc work perfect just like ES.  This prob is directed at AM unfortunately.

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 02:27:28 PM »
Im not pointing fingers at anything else on retropie or anything you've done, I just think their version of AM or their method of installing isn't right for RPi4. I'll get you the install script for manual AM compile plus its dependencies and ill bet the sound issue will go away.  When I first tried to get AM running on a Pi4, I had a lot of issues, but once I got the right compile setup its been smooth sailing.

I'm sitting in the car while my kids finish their sledding in 5* cold. Once they tire out or freeze ill post up those compile instructions.

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 03:41:19 PM »
Install dependencies

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install -y cmake libflac-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libavutil-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavfilter-dev libswscale-dev libavresample-dev libopenal-dev libjpeg8-dev libfreetype6-dev libudev-dev libdrm-dev libgbm-dev libjpeg-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libfontconfig1-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxinerama-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev

Make the attached script executable & run it to install and compile SFML and AM.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:43:33 PM by mahuti »

scenariol113

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »
I will give it a shot!  Thank you and I will report back!

Thanks for taking the time

scenariol113

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 07:13:53 PM »
I did run this but I am not 100% sure I did it correctly.  I copied the text from the attachement you posted and pasted and ran it thru PuTTY to my Pi 4.  It compiled lots of stuff for a few minutes.  I will paste the lines to see if you think it is correct.  I rebooted and still have the issue.  Should I run this on a clean install instead???  I can if it needs to..

I will attch a copy of what it did

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »
Did you uninstall the Retropie version of AttractMode? Just wondering if the other one is being launched. The new version might not fix the sound problem anyway, but I figure I better at least make sure the new one is the one being launched.

Also, are you running audio through HDMI? Just curious. I don't know that it'd make any difference. I have version of it running through HDMI as well as Composite and I don't recall doing anything specific to get audio going.

scenariol113

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 06:01:26 AM »
I did not uninstall the other version.  I will do that and give it another try.  Yes it is set up to run thru HDMI.  Thanks again for trying to help. 

I am trying to get a  'hyperspin type" theme set up and can not seem to find one that works.  Seems like AM is my only avenue to get one working.  A few of the themes I have installed in AM dont run that good either (they run slow and just not right).  Most of the themes run normal but they are not the look I am going for.  Either way the sound issue that I am having with AM makes it all for naught....

for testing purposes I modified the scummmVM theme and attached a pic..  I must have messed up the parameters when I was adjusting the x and y of the video orientation and now i the video moves to the right of the screen after I exit a game and does not line up with the animation png. (only after the game is exited)

LOL

I dont know... I am trying very hard and keep hitting road blocks.

The modified theme I made has the coinops look to it.  Is there a theme like I created available for AM...or another FE. ( I know this is AM forum...)  To get the look I am trying for.

I can deal with the no sound issue bc it is only affecting the FE and not the games themselves.  I know it will eventually get sorted out.

I really appreciate all the help

FV
Long Island,NY

scenariol113

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 03:22:59 PM »
Just a follow up...

I actually had another microsd card and did a clean format and started over.  I installed everything same as before except I loaded everything from binary (not source).  I installed AM the same way and then updated it thru retropie.  All audio is working now.  I actually stopped what I am doing and am making an image copy of my sd card in case I do something that messes it up...

wish me luck

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »
Good luck. That's usually what I do. Sometimes I start with a 16 gb card for the setup so the backups are smaller and take less time. Once I get it all setup then I copy to a bigger card.

mlcampbe

• View Profile
Re: pi4 No Sound at all in Attract mode but ok in games (FIXED)
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 11:18:02 AM »
I am having the same sound problem with a PI3. The games all play fine with sounds as expected. But, ambient sounds from AM don't play at all. I will note that I am using compiling manually (not using RetroPie) using the instructions from https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-%28Raspbian-Jessie%29.  It does compile and runs fine but no sound. I have verified that the mp3 file will play using 'mpg321 file.mp3' normally. I have tried the 'AudioMode' plugin as well but no luck.

I'll also note that when AM runs I see the following info printed over and over:
AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_mixerProc: Wait timeout... buffer size too low?

Is it possible that AM was not compiled with sound support somehow?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:26:57 AM by mlcampbe »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 03:10:26 PM »
Good luck. That's usually what I do. Sometimes I start with a 16 gb card for the setup so the backups are smaller and take less time. Once I get it all setup then I copy to a bigger card.

Pi Shrink is a handy free script that works well for this. https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:34:06 PM by progets »

scenariol113

• View Profile
Re: pi4 No Sound at all in Attract mode but ok in games (FIXED)
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »
Is it possible that AM was not compiled with sound support somehow?

I honestly do not know but in my case there was something that the install did not like.  I did it all thru retropie but the third time around I used a different sd card (I dont think that made a difference) and compiled from binary instead of source and then updated AM from that point again thru retropie.

In my opinion it made no sense but it is working now.  I am terrible with linux and dont understand most of the commands that I copy and paste LOL

I guess it is easy if you know what you are doing...

I would be real happy if we could get Sega Model 2 and 3 working now