Author Topic: Possible to run AttractMode & GroovyMame on Windows XP?  (Read 12400 times)

WP34

• View Profile
Possible to run AttractMode & GroovyMame on Windows XP?
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
I had AttractMode working great on my test rig.  When I moved it to my cabinet I started having this problem which sounds like an issue with the GM video drivers.

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=573.msg4014#msg4014

I don't really want to go to Windows XP on this cabinet at this time.  Does anyone know if it is possible to run AttractMode and GroovyMame on a Windows XP machine?

DudeRegular

• View Profile
Re: Possible to run AttractMode & GroovyMame on Windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »
I run win 7 with attract mode and groovymame on my cab with a tri sync monitor. I think I still have AM 1.5 range and groovy is somewhere in the .152 range. I haven't gotten around to trying out some of the new versions on the cab.

WP34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:10:59 AM »
I'm trying to avoid upgrading to Windows 7 on this cabinet if possible.  Near as I can tell you can't use AttractMode and GM on Windows XP.  Just hoping someone can prove me wrong.

DudeRegular

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »
Ah from what you have in your first post it looks like you are trying to avoid xp not retain it. If you have a spare hard drive, just swap them out in your cab pc and try it all with win 7 and see if it works ok?

Personally, I think windows 7 is really worth it. With a SSD and the other speediness advantages, it works well.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »
Ah from what you have in your first post it looks like you are trying to avoid xp not retain it. If you have a spare hard drive, just swap them out in your cab pc and try it all with win 7 and see if it works ok?

Personally, I think windows 7 is really worth it. With a SSD and the other speediness advantages, it works well.

SSD and overall speed is a huge reason to use windows 7+. SSD made my pc boot so much faster. Its more arcade pcb like.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
That would make sense. ROM/carts were always faster...however more expensive..but now they are BIG and much faster..and Nintendo might be moving back to roms (cartridges) and ditching discs. http://www.geek.com/games/nintendo-nx-may-use-cartridges-instead-of-an-optical-drive-1654365/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/05/rumour-nintendo-nx-to-drop-discs-for-cartridges

as for the win XP error can you post the actual error? that might help us help you
People want life easy..then complain about it

WP34

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 08:35:07 PM »
I was wanting to stick with Windows XP because I have a couple of ACT Labs USB Guns I plan to use.  I swear I read somewhere that they did not work with Windows 7 but it seems I was wrong.  That is really the only reason I wanted to use Windows XP. 

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »
Well on my setup AttractMode ran like crap on my laptop system with win XP (that was 1.50..might just be the system) never tried groovy mame in it. I can try in a virtual box and try it in a virtualbox and see..but of course it will not run %100...
People want life easy..then complain about it

mondaiji

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »
Hi WP34,

I'm in the same situation as you and I've done a load of testing on a 15kHz cabinet with WinXP and Win7. I disagree with what some people have mentioned so here is what I have found.

For me, WinXP on a 15kHz cabinet with CRTEmu_Driver provided the best display (arcade resolutions) with the less hassle in worrying about super resolutions using FightCade/FBA. This isn't an issue with GroovyMAME however.

I had a working installation of attractmode using rocketlauncher with v1.6 if I recall correctly although when I upgraded I have experienced a few issues. I have to revisit v1.6 to see if it's my setup or attractmode.

If you experience performance issues I assume the issue may be your hardware or some kind of driver. attractmode is light weight and performs well.

I've also had the issue with the font display however I forget what version this was. I always had to use the 32-bit attracemode version. I can't recall if my previous working install was using XP-32 or XP-64.

I'm also having some more issues with v2 where groovymame takes about 30 to 60 seconds to return back to attractmode.

It's either a problem with CRTEmuDriver or attractmode. I would be interested in hearing more about your testing.

mondaiji

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 09:16:28 PM »
I will try CRT EmuDriver v2 and let you know how I go
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

mondaiji

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 11:56:42 PM »
What version of GroovyMAME are you running?

Perhaps compatibility changed with the latest version of GroovyMAME and older releases of CRT EmuDriver..

mondaiji

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 01:34:41 AM »
Unfortunetly  CRT Emudriver is for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits.

No XP support.

mondaiji

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »
After more testing over the weekend I went back to try Win7 on my 15kHz and 31kHz candy cabinet with CRT EmuDriver 2.0 beta.

The artifacts I was seeing in games in FightCade with super resolutions has gone with this driver. I'm not sure if this is due to modifying YresMin_XML = 192" to use the Arcade resolution in FightCade/FBA. However leaving the YresMin value as default and using the 640x480 resolution worked flawlessly.

In essence the answer to the thread question is a yes, it just depends on the driver you are using.