Author Topic: Attract Mode Freezes in game menu  (Read 3884 times)

Adyan

• View Profile
Attract Mode Freezes in game menu
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
I have a really weird issue in Attract mode where the pi freezes up in the system game selections. I also want to mention that this never happened in emulationstation. So I believe that this has to be an attract mode sort of problem.

The image freezes random at no specific game or system. It just happens after some time while scrolling the games.... It also does freeze when the pointer stands still on any random game in the menu. After the game-snap looped for a few times it freezes and the only thing I can do is a hard reset :(

I am fighting for more than a week now to solve this problem, but I did not figure out what causes this issue.

I tried the following things that sadly did not work:

1. I updates AM to the latest version
2. Also disabled the screensaver function
3. Changes the codec from mmal to software and back
4. Tried different AM-Themes in order to exclude specific theme issues on Hyperpie V2. ( also robospin and others )

Note.: I am using Motion blue V6 base image with teamZT roms and snaps on a pie 3B+ The snaps are 320x240 resolution.

Hopefully somebody can help me !

Thanks guys I appreciate this a lot :)

Dal1980

• View Profile
Re: Attract Mode Freezes in game menu
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
I had a similar issue if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm sure it had something to do with either a corrupt video or a video file format issue (i.e. avi over mp4) (fyi I try to use just mp4 because I've had less problems over the years... not that avi should be a problem I don't think).

Also, maybe check the file sizes of your videos, there may be one or two that are way to big for the pi to handle (that's a guess only but it may help on the angle of identifying potential corruptions, look for files size too small as well)

Hope this helps

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 01:18:06 AM »
Check the videos bitrate.  (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download)

If it is greater than 30 fps, change it

The Best is 24 FPS
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

Adyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 02:33:10 AM »
Thanks for the fast answer !

My whole snaps are from EMUmovie and they are all in SD quality 320x240 mp4. (AVC Vide-codec) These are the standard snaps that a lot of people in the pi scene use I believe.
The sizes are 2 mb to 3mb per snap.. It depends on the snap length.

I've checked them via media info and they are all at 30 fps. I just did not realize that this could be an issue. Does this mean that I have to encode every single snap to 24 fps ? And how do I achieve this ? I use a mac so I may need a software that encodes multiple files at one ???

Thanks once again !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:39:54 AM by Adyan »

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 03:05:54 AM »
To convert files use:

https://www.ffmpeg.org

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i "G:\Videos\in\Toys (Europe).mp4" -r 24 "G:\Videos\out\Toys (Europe).mp4"
But I do not think that changing from 30 fps to 24 fps will solve the problem.

Use the Attract-Mode debug mode to focus the problem.

I do not have pi, so i can not focus more on the problem, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:13:16 AM by zlagos »
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

Dal1980

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:41:19 AM »
Couldn't be something to do with the SD card could it?

Corruption on card possibly, I'd probably go down that route (this thread may help https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8451 with that angle)

Or you could clone the SD onto another of the same size and see if the problem persists.

Or access speed of your SD might be the bottleneck https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/