Author Topic: Help with Verticools Layout  (Read 8593 times)

johnnyb

• View Profile
Help with Verticools Layout
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
I am trying to create a vertical layout system and have been having a really hard time trying to get it where I like it.  I just want a clean vertical layout with a game wheel with game title artwork, and a video snap playing in the background. 

So far I have figured out how to edit the .nut and remove the "free play" text items, as well as the text items at the bottom.  If someone could be kind enough to point me in the right direction with a couple of items I would appreciate the help.

1. How can I fix the game wheel where ALL games are shown with their title art in the wheel?  Currently it only shows the current selected one and when you scroll down the next game title artwork is show.
2. I currently have 5 games in my list and the wheel shows the first 5 then starts to duplicate them, is there any way to stop the duplicates or do I have to add more games?
3. is there anyway possible to remove the text at the top of the game wheel that says "5 arcade" ( showing I have 5 games in my arcade list) Also the <> markers showing to move to the next emulator in attract mode.

Thanks in advance.  I just really want a single arcade window, with game wheel (game title artwork) with the video snaps playing in the background.  Just simple and clean:)

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Verticools Layout
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:10:51 PM »
maybe do a Photoshop mock up, and ill code it for ya,,,,peace :D
help a friend....

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »
I am trying to create a vertical layout system and have been having a really hard time trying to get it where I like it.  I just want a clean vertical layout with a game wheel with game title artwork, and a video snap playing in the background. 

So far I have figured out how to edit the .nut and remove the "free play" text items, as well as the text items at the bottom.  If someone could be kind enough to point me in the right direction with a couple of items I would appreciate the help.

1. How can I fix the game wheel where ALL games are shown with their title art in the wheel?  Currently it only shows the current selected one and when you scroll down the next game title artwork is show.
2. I currently have 5 games in my list and the wheel shows the first 5 then starts to duplicate them, is there any way to stop the duplicates or do I have to add more games?
3. is there anyway possible to remove the text at the top of the game wheel that says "5 arcade" ( showing I have 5 games in my arcade list) Also the <> markers showing to move to the next emulator in attract mode.

Thanks in advance.  I just really want a single arcade window, with game wheel (game title artwork) with the video snaps playing in the background.  Just simple and clean:)

1. Verticools layout uses a "list" to display games and you want a "wheel". A wheel is one of the more complex parts of a layout. I recommend using the Conveyor_Helper Module http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1945.0 or finding another layout that uses a wheel you like and use its code for your modified Verticools layout.

2. The "list" or "wheel" part of the layout determines how many games slots should be displayed on the screen. Once you have all of them filled you will no longer see duplicates. If you don't fill all the game slots and don't want to see duplicates you have to change the "list" or "wheel" part of the layout to reduce the number of game slots shown.

3. Remove or remark out line #121 of the original code "local listtitle=fe.add_text("[ListSize] [DisplayName]",0,flh*0.11,flw,flh*0.05);" to remove "5 arcade" from the display. Remove the "<" and ">" from line #118 of the originial code "local fltsh=fe.add_text("<  [FilterName]  >",1,(flh*0.06)+1,flw,flh*0.05);" to remove the <> from the layout.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:58:47 PM by progets »

johnnyb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Thanks for all of this very useful information.  Is there a way to get all of the games in the list to show the artwork?  Maybe just the one that is highlighted will be bigger or something similar?

johnnyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
For some reason I can no longer find the .nut file for verticools?  What am I missing?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:43:24 PM »
Thanks for all of this very useful information.  Is there a way to get all of the games in the list to show the artwork?  Maybe just the one that is highlighted will be bigger or something similar?

Yes, I answered this above and gave you two suggestions. You need to modify the layout. It's not easy.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »
For some reason I can no longer find the .nut file for verticools?  What am I missing?

It should be where you originally modified it. The location will depend on the hardware you are using and how you installed Attract-Mode.

On Windows it's in the attract/layouts/Verticools folder.

On a command line install on a Pi it's in /home/pi/.attract/layouts/Verticools. (in Linux .attract is a hidden folder)

johnnyb

• View Profile
Verticools
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »
[merged topics]

I installed a fresh image with attract mode, added some games and set the layout to Verticools because I have a vertical "portrait" monitor.  Everything seems great in the menu, layout is the correct orientation and I launched a game to test.  All worked well until I exited out of the game and launched another.  Now, any game I launch is not rotated!!!!!  It seems the first game must have done something and now every game I launch is rotated. 

any ideas?

again the verticools layout is flawless, just the MAME games wont display properly.  Looks like the emulator AM is using is Libretro-Mame2003 and I have tried looking for the retroarch.cfg file because I found this when doing a google search...

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/11110/cannot-rotate-mame-vertical-games/6

I am looking to add the responses and it seems that I need to add video_driver = "dispmanx" in the config, but which one?

I am working on a pi3 and I thought I found it before in that location, but it is not there.  Whats strange is that I can select in from within AM, but the folder is not in the layout file structure.  I see a lot of other layouts, but verticools is not listed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:25:38 PM by verion »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
If it's not there then you didn't do a command line install of Attract-Mode. You can look in /opt/retropie/... for the layout but I personally don't use 3rd party builds or scripts so I can't provide you any additional help.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Verticools
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »
This works by default. You say you "installed a fresh image with attract mode"... there is no such thing. If you used someone else's image you should ask them for help. See Pi FAQ #2 http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1249.0

Normally the main retroarch.cfg is located at /opt/retropie/configs/all/ and you would want something like "video_driver = "gl"" and not "video_driver = "dispmanx"".

roostaar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 07:02:01 AM »

Just found it!

/opt/retropie/supplementary/attractmode/share/attract/layouts

Was driving me .nut(s) too.  ;D

roostaar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »
Hi all

Can anyone help me change the font colour on Verticools please? I have removed some text from the original and also change the default font.

I just can't see the selected game and also the top list text as they are black now.

Attached a pic and my nuts!  ;D

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 02:22:25 PM »
Hi all

Can anyone help me change the font colour on Verticools please? I have removed some text from the original and also change the default font.

I just can't see the selected game and also the top list text as they are black now.

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/blob/master/config/layouts/Verticools/layout.nut

Lines 101-104 control listbox text color and fade opacity. Line 106 creates the text objects, sets the index, and sets opacity of each object accordingly.

Line 119 contains filter color.

Not sure what you changed. Didn’t look at your included files. But hopefully me pointing out the spots on the original file can help.

roostaar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 03:14:06 PM »
Hi all

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/blob/master/config/layouts/Verticools/layout.nut

Lines 101-104 control listbox text color and fade opacity. Line 106 creates the text objects, sets the index, and sets opacity of each object accordingly.

Line 119 contains filter color.

Not sure what you changed. Didn’t look at your included files. But hopefully me pointing out the spots on the original file can help.

Thanks very much dude!  Have got it sorted now. 8)