Author Topic: Need Help: 240p Guide for AttractMode / GroovyMame on PC  (Read 6604 times)

mgerety

• View Profile
Need Help: 240p Guide for AttractMode / GroovyMame on PC
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
All,

I've just finished RGB modding my 27" trinitron and getting GroovyMame up and running on my pc.  (I'm currently working on an in-depth guide for modding Sony TVs on the BA-5D chassis.  You can see that here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63622&start=78)

I've decided on AttractMode for my frontend, but the majority of the info I've found getting AM to run on 240p is related to getting AM to work on the RaspberryPi over Composite.  I'd definitely want AM to run in 240p, not 480i, which is what crt_emudriver has windows run in. 

I'd like to create a guide on setting up Attract Mode for 240p on PC, but I'm starting from scratch here.  Here's the primary info I'm looking for.  If anyone can help me fill in the blanks with anything specifically 240p related, I'd appreciate it. 

Resource List:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:26:17 PM by mgerety »

mgerety

• View Profile
Re: Need Help: 240p Guide for AttractMode / GroovyMame on PC
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:44:45 AM »
** Reserved  **

Attract Mode 240p Guide for PC
This guide will provide detailed instructions on setting up Attract Mode to run in 240p mode on a PC from scratch.  This guide includes installation and configuration of Attract Mode, installing a theme, Adding GroovyMame, Adding roms and artwork, Configuration of AttractMode and Themes for 240p, and troubleshooting tips and tricks.
Frontend Setup

*** info here***
Installation
Download AttractMode from http://attractmode.org/download.html
Extract the downloaded zip into your chosen destination folder (in my case, c:\attractmode)

*** info here***
Configuration with GroovyMame
*** info here***
Configuring 240p settings in Attract Mode
*** info here***
Necessary VM Maker (crt_emudriver utility) Settings for Attract Mode
*** info here***
Theme Setup
Compatible Themes:
Configuring Flavors for 240p
*** info here***
Configuring FlatBlue for 240p
*** info here***
Configuring AMGPS for 240p
*** info here***
Configuring Cosmo's Theme for 240p
*** info here***
Troubleshooting
Issue: As soon as I run AM, the CRT goes out of sync and I have to reboot:
Solution: from http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=155664.0
1 - Disable service: AMD External events utility
2 - Ensure that the Windows advanced display option is enable: "hide modes that is monitor cannot display"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:14:34 AM by mgerety »

mgerety

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
** Reserved 2**

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:11:13 AM »
I’m running attract on the raspberry pi 240p composite. No issues. Hope to release image soon. I’m slow and don’t keep any sort of promises.

Interested in solution for displaying attract with crtemudriver at 240p.? It naturally inherits the desktop resolution. I’ll dedicate some thought for this soon.

mgerety

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »
Problem is, the desktop resolution is 480i, which is a little unstable and flickery on the RGB Modded CRT.  I'm hoping to find a way to drive AM at 240p, regardless of the desktop res (which is 480i).

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »
Problem is, the desktop resolution is 480i, which is a little unstable and flickery on the RGB Modded CRT.  I'm hoping to find a way to drive AM at 240p, regardless of the desktop res (which is 480i).

I haven’t tried it. Perhaps give this command line app a shot? Its supposed to launch an app with a custom resolution. Of course be sure you have proper modeline installed.

http://12noon.com/?page_id=80