Author Topic: Poor video playback performance  (Read 3362 times)

8bitsdeep

• View Profile
Poor video playback performance
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »
I've been away for a while and was wondering if there were any new developments/tips in this area.

All my video snaps are low quality MP4s of varying origin. (EmuMovies, YouTube, etc)  Some always play just fine in AM, others always stutter or freeze horribly. Is there a know reason for this?

It used to be you couldn't select anything except "software" for Video Decoder in Windows 10.  Now dxva2 seems to be an option but the performance seems to be the same. Is this not working? Am I missing something?

Any general tips at all to get consistent performance in all videos would be greatly appreciated. The more I try other frontends, even the almighty Launchbox/BigBox, the more I feel like AM is the best. But the inconsistent video performance is really a buzz killer.

iOtero

• View Profile
Re: Poor video playback performance
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 04:18:54 AM »
All my videos are converted to 24fps and an pixel format YUV 4.2.0 8-bit planar.

And all works perfectly in all my environments: windows 10, linux Lubunto, macOS Mojave and Raspbian in a raspberry pi 3.
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

8bitsdeep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:01:22 AM »
What did you use to convert them?

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
What did you use to convert them?

ffmpeg:

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i myvideo_in.mp4 -r 24 -vf "scale=2*trunc(iw/2):-2,setsar=1" -profile:v main -pix_fmt yuv420p -y myvideo_out.mp4

Convert at the same time, at 24 fps and 8bits planar.
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

Brikinhos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »
I had the same problem. I fixed it using Handbrake reconverting to .mp4 with the same fps of each video. But yes, this problem is so anoying...

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
There are problems with few sets in emu-movies (they are an excellent source none the less). I also used handbrake for re-encoding the videos. Ideally videos @ 30 fps should run without problems.

8bitsdeep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks everyone! I ran everything through handbrake (default settings, .mp4) and that seems to have done the job.