Author Topic: CHUWI LarkBox mini PC  (Read 2409 times)

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
CHUWI LarkBox mini PC
« on: July 14, 2020, 08:32:19 AM »
I was looking at this thing:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chuwi-larkbox-world-s-smallest-4k-mini-pc#/

It sounds interesting to me because it's small, inexpensive, seems quite powerful and, most of all, it's not a Pi or other ARM/Android box, but a fully fledged x86 "PC". I'm wondering if anyone has experience with mame and the CPU/GPU in this box: Celeron J4115 with HD600 graphics. Would this run mame with glsl CRT filters? Would it run Attract Mode with OpenGL heavy layouts?

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: CHUWI LarkBox mini PC
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 02:55:46 AM »
I don't know... For me this all SBC makes sense if the small size or low power is a HUGE factor. If not - you can buy used intel CPU + mini ITX motherboard + cpu + cooler + case for the same price and get much more performance per dollar while still being pretty small.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 03:30:26 AM »
I don't know... For me this all SBC makes sense if the small size or low power is a HUGE factor. If not - you can buy used intel CPU + mini ITX motherboard + cpu + cooler + case for the same price and get much more performance per dollar while still being pretty small.

I agree with you, but personally I feel very attracted by all this "mini-something" for basically no reason :D The idea to bring a palm sized cube with me, hook it to a TV and play arcade games with a bluetooth controller is fascinating. But then if the experience is too compromised it makes no sense.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 04:41:51 AM »
If it's for the arcade / emulation only - I'd suggest nvidia shield. I use it every day, for media consumption and emulation. It's so small that took it on my last vacation.