Attract-Mode Support > Themes

Vertical CRT layout 0.2

(1/7) > >>

markc74:
Hi all,

After some great help from calle81 and popoklo, here's the layout I'll be using in my cabinet and is free for anyone to use/break whatever.

It's aimed at standard resolution (15hz) CRT's in vertical orientation. That's what my cabinet is so I've created it for that but it should be relatively straightforwards to scale if anyone wants to.

Video:

https://youtu.be/ST8crDZLBq8

Features:

* optimised for low resolution CRT's in vertical orientation
* games list which slides in and out!
* cycles through videos/history*/flyers/cabinet when a key is pressed (custom1)
* left index bar showing how far down the game list you are
* poor code quality and stupid bugs undocumented features!
*History code was completely stolen from ArcadeBliss so all credit to them for making that work (thanks!)

Known issues

* tabs at bottom occassionally get misaligned. Probably something to do with my inexperienced use of animate2 module
* info doesn't always slide in properly (as above)
* it's really unoptimised...
I'm posting it now, because it works well enough for what I need and the bugs don't bother me enough. However - if someone else wants to have a pop at it then please do. There's not a lot of code to it and I've included the photoshop artwork file in the attachment. The only thing I ask, is that if you do fix my shoddy code, then please upload it into this thread so I can read it and get better  :D)

FrizzleFried:
FWIW I am using an ARpiCADE Pi3 system running on an arcade monitor that is in vertical orientation.

Unfortunately this layout comes up horizontally... and only takes up approximately 1/3 of the horzontal screen (pretty much like the video shows) that has been posted.

If I turn the image using the keyboard in attract it still only takes up 1/3 of the vertical screen and the images are super stretched.

This should be a vertical layout... right?   So it should fit the entire screen of a low-res crt screen that is oriented vertically.

What am I doing wrong?  Also... is it right that there are no display options?

Finally... how do you switch between tabs?  I only have a single stick and 2 buttons to work with (well,  and P1 and p2).

Thanks for the help...

verion:
Great theme!
... but blinking PLAY NOW is annoying, and scrolling the game list breaks (stops/pauses) blinking "pattern" that is even more distracting.
I would change that to non-blinking.

FrizzleFried:
Were you supposed to include animate2 module with this layout?

markc74:
Hi FrizzleFried - my apologies, I made a mistake with the layout file orientation as it was set up to work on my laptop and not my cabinet. I've fixed it now and attached the new layout file - just drop this into the folder over the old one.

If you find that the screen is upside down when you run it, open the layout.nut file in notepad and change line 8 from:
fe.layout.orient=RotateScreen.Left; to fe.layout.orient=RotateScreen.Right; and that should sort it.

To switch between tabs, you need to set a control for custom1. (press TAB > Controls > Custom1 and set an input). I use button 1 to switch tabs and Start1 to launch so you should be ok with 2 buttons.

Animate2 can be got from https://github.com/liquid8d/attract-extra/tree/master/modules. Just drop the whole animate2 folder into your attract mode/modules/ folder and it should work. I didn't feel comfortable attaching it because it's someone else's work and I think they might prefer you got the latest version from their site.

Hi Verion - You're right about the flashing thing. I added it quite late and meant to only trigger it on layout start but never got around to it. The attached layout file removes the flashing entirely. I may come back to it and make it work properly and have  it as a toggle option so it's easy to switch on or off.

Let me know if you have any probems  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version