Author Topic: attract.exe has stopped working  (Read 7274 times)

slydog43

• View Profile
attract.exe has stopped working
« on: June 02, 2015, 05:16:45 AM »
I get this message a lot when exiting Attract 1.5.2 & 1.5.3.  How should I go about debugging this to find the culprit?  Great FE BTW.   Thanks

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64.  Strange thing is that its not crashing consistantly, only sometimes.  I sometimes just move up and down a few games in my list and quit and get the not responding, so nothing to do with an emulator.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:12:20 AM by slydog43 »

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: attract.exe has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 05:20:55 PM »
First thing is pop it in window mode - TAB, General, Window mode - set it to Window and you'll be able to see a separate command window with debug information.

It's important to note the layout you're using as well - the layout might have a bug in the code that is causing it to crash at certain times.

Also, are you using network paths for your media? I use that and sometimes it can cause it to hang.

slydog43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 06:03:14 AM »
Thanks for your reply, but I see the Attract Mode window when I exit now if it crashes.  Last line is always -Loaded Layout ....... (layour.nut)
I have had it do this after every 4-5 exits and layout doesn't seem to matter as it happens on more than 1 of them.  I'm not using any network paths (unc's), just paths like c:\mame\snaps, etc.  any other ideas?  thanks

Just modified my first layout yesterday, so easy this is awesome except the crash on exit.  (this has to happen to others, no?)

here is info from the windows event log

Faulting application name: attract.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x556023ac
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18839, time stamp: 0x553e8bfa
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000bfc22
Faulting process id: 0x928
Faulting application start time: 0x01d09dfd25d18a4f
Faulting application path: C:\Attract\attract.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 69b77807-09f0-11e5-82b2-782bcba8d48f

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:06:03 AM by slydog43 »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:23:40 AM »
Slydog43-

Hi! This is not a common error. So, it could be something related to a corrupted ntdll.dll or driver issue. The first thing that I would do is check for viruses and make sure your service packs are up to date. Typically,  ntdll errors occur for these reasons. I would even check your even viewer for more info. 

slydog43

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:05:43 AM »
OK, I was getting very frustrated so I decided to reinstall a clean copy of windows 7x64.  I applied all MS updates (wow are there a lot, so many reboots, updates, etc).  I then redownloaded AttractMode and tried it.  I once again get it crashing on exit. I'm a IT person so I know its nothing simple (or at least I don't think so).  I tried different slashes (unix / and then windows \, with and without a drive letter, but nothing seems to work.  I'm almost ready to compile with debugging and trying that.  Any other ideas   out there.  This would be my FE of choice if this problem goes away (I have a few mame machines in my house).  I also tried running the exe as admin and in compatibility mode)

I'm also using attractman layout for testing now.

I've added a registry key
DontShowUI  under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting
and set it to 1 which works, but I hate having to do this to disable the error dialog

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:16:23 AM by slydog43 »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
Sly-

I'm a recovering IT guy myself. This is the thing though, I am running win7x64 OS too and I've never experienced the problem you are having. And, I have been using different versions of AM for over 6 months. It's a very stable app. So, let's try to deduce what is going on with your system.

First question, are you running a default layout or one you made? Just to see what we're dealing with. If it's one that you made then please post your .nut here.

Now, let's compare apples to apples. Are you running the 32bit or 64bit version of AM. For reference, I'm using the 32bit version. It shouldn't matter but just the sake of comparison.

Again, the ntdll error could still be a driver issue. I know you reloaded a fresh image of windows and that eliminates the possibility of it being corrupted. But, if everything else checks out then I would check for a hardware/driver issue.

There was an issue of earlier versions of AM and  "DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION" being turned on but that was resolved along time ago. Something to thing about as well.

slydog43

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 02:47:45 PM »
I'm running the 64bit version and using attractman display (at least for testing, using robospin as my display, but thought that might be it, so switched to attractman).  Will try 32 bit version now and report back.  Thanks for your quick response.  Loving how easy it is to make mods to display nuts.

That was it!!!!  32bit version does not crash upon exit like the 64 bit version does.  This is a definite bug.  Thanks for you help.  (Don't know how to report bug)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:59:05 PM by slydog43 »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
Sly-

Great!, you can post your issue under bug reports.

1500points

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »
Thank you for this post.

I am running win10 and a recent version of attract mode.
Also was getting the occasional error when exiting a game.

I'll switch to the 32-bit version.