Author Topic: Graphic Assets Not Loading on Start-Up  (Read 1634 times)

YellowBirdAZ

• View Profile
Graphic Assets Not Loading on Start-Up
« on: July 26, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »
I have an annoying issue I can't figure out.

I have a emulation PC where is Win 10 OS and other mostly immutable files live on the internal SSD, and then Attract-Mode, Retroarch and all my ROMs and game art are on a detachable USB 3 SSD. I set it up this way because the PC runs CRTEmudriver and connects to a CRT (obviously), and it is a pain to monkey with the system with such a limited display space on the CRT. I just unplug the external SDD and plug it into my main office PC if I want to add ROMs or change art or update Retroarch or anything else. (I have it off-network.)

When the emulation PC boots up it looks for the attached external SSD.

Problem is, since moving to this configuration, certain graphical assets don't seem to load before Attract-Mode starts up. So as I browse through systems and games, the marquees don't show up and backgrounds don't either. The game snaps do load though.

I'm not a home right now so I can't check, but is it possible in my layout I am calling these images incorrectly? Just to clarify, everything works when it all loads from a single drive. Also, even when it doesn't work on initial start-up, I can close out of Attract-Mode and re-start and it works (so it's not a path issue).

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic Assets Not Loading on Start-Up
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 09:16:59 PM »
It sounds like a path problem. Maybe the drive letter is different when moving the drive. Maybe you are using some relative paths which change between machines. If you need more help, let us know where things are located on each system and provide a couple of the emulator.cfg files.

YellowBirdAZ

• View Profile
Re: Graphic Assets Not Loading on Start-Up
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 10:16:40 PM »
I was so convinced it WASN'T a path problem, because it would work when I restarted the front end.

But it was the paths... thanks for forcing me to look again. Once I looked at the layout my paths to the missing art were all relative. Once I hard-coded them to the correct drive letter it worked on start-up.

Perfect, thanks again.