Author Topic: Attact-Mode 2.5.1 Ubuntu Bionic won't launch  (Read 7140 times)

lunari

• View Profile
Attact-Mode 2.5.1 Ubuntu Bionic won't launch
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »
After installing the Attract Mode package for Ubuntu Bionic I can't get Attract Mode to launch. When clicking on it in show applications nothing happens. I tried launching it from the command line with 'attract' I get this message.

attract: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: version 'CURL_OPENSSL_4' not found (required by attract)

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

lunari

• View Profile
Re: Attact-Mode 2.5.1 Ubuntu Bionic won't launch
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:25:28 PM »
Now I'm really in trouble. I tried installing curl after googling libcurl and now Attract Mode has dissapeared from my show applications and reinstalling it seems to work but in the end the button just goes back to install instead of run.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:37:18 AM »
Please tell us exactly step-by-step what you did to install libcurl and how you try to (re-)install Attract Mode.

Is your installation file called attract_2.5.1-0ubuntu1.bionic_amd64.deb? If not, what's its name? Where did you save it? (If we know that, we could tell you how to install it from the command line to get more messages about the installation.)

SonofSilas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 09:11:31 AM »
The OP didn't respond... but I have this exact issue under Linux Mint 19 Tara (Based on Bionic)

I installed using "attract_2.5.1-0ubuntu1.bionic_amd64.deb" without errors. I received notification that Libcurl4 was downgraded to Libcurl3. After installation I attempt to run attractmode and I receive this error:

attract: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_4' not found (required by attract)

Any suggestions?

rcampbel3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:04:01 PM »
Suggestions:

1) build attract from source on your system - either one of the releases, or if you're comfortable using git, build from the master branch - https://github.com/mickelson/attract/releases

2) file a well-written, reproducible bug report here: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/issues

bgd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 06:09:46 PM »
Same issue for me... if I use apt-get install libcurl4, the attract package is removed. If I use the graphical package manager to re-install attract, I get the libcurl4 dependency error again. Infinite loop.

One workaround - after using apt-get to install libcurl4, use dpkg --installl attract_2.5.1-0ubuntu1.bionic_amd64.deb and it will work (not really a fix, but it works).

Hope this helps,

B-

steves

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »
Hi, 

I'm running on Linux Mint 19.1 and receive the same message.  The workaround posted by bgd doesn't work for me.  This is a fresh install.  Any thoughts?

I posted a bug - https://github.com/mickelson/attract/issues/531

rcampbel3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
Build attract from source! It's quick and easy... you'll always have the latest bugfixes and features, and it will work on your system.

If you're not a developer... don't worry too much, you can do this without understanding everything. Below info adapted from: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-Ubuntu-Bionic-Beaver-%2818.04-LTS%29-amd64-desktop

You'll need 'git' and the '-dev' packages required by attract mode installed on your system... so open a terminal and run this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install git libsfml-dev libopenal-dev libavformat-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libswscale-dev libavresample-dev libarchive-dev libjpeg-dev libglu1-mesa-dev

Now... make a directory for development stuff and check out the source. For me, I like to have a ~/project directory where I keep everything I'm developing or building from source, so...

mkdir ~/project

cd ~/project

# now... check out the code

git clone https://github.com/mickelson/attract

# now cd into that directory...

cd attract

# if you want to "update" your binary that was installed in /usr/bin, do the following... otherwise your binary will go in /usr/local/bin

nano  Makefile

# look for the line that says: prefix=/usr/local ; change that to prefix=/usr ; then save with <CTRL><X>
# now run 'make' while in ~/project/attract

make

# if no error messages, proceed. If error messages, read them, analyze them, figure out what's wrong, fix, re-run make, repeat :)

sudo make install

# you're done! run attract from the commandline and everything should work great!

# at a later date... to update source and rebuild attract...

cd ~/project/attract
git pull
make clean
make
sudo make install

# if you hit a problem with git pull when the makefile is updated... a simple way to deal with it is to run 'git reset --hard' and then 'git pull' again. Then you may need to re-edit the makefile, or make a copy of it -- when I have custom makefiles, I name them Makefile.ross . You can run make against a different makefile with 'make -f makefilename', and then to install 'make -f makefilename install'

Hope this helps! I know the idea of using the commandline and straying away from packaged software into compiling source code is daunting to some. Also, I know that it's not often clear when it's 'safe' to use the 'bleeding edge' source. In the case of attract mode, it's quite stable and the master branch is almost always functional -- you won't ruin your system by building attract mode from source.

zorro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:04 AM »
rcampbel3, thanks so much for the effort you've put in. Yourinstructions were so clear and well laid out that I had the confidence to give it a go.

I get to the 'make' step but get an error that I cannot fix:

Compiling obj/fe_base.o...
make: g++: Command not found
Makefile:450: recipe for target 'obj/fe_base.o' failed
make: *** [obj/fe_base.o] Error 127

Any thoughts?

rcampbel3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »
Zorro - you're almost there! Don't give up -- you're just missing the compiler. Ubuntu 18.04 cd install has left out some packages that have never been left out before -- like the compilers (gcc, g++) and make.

When you read the output from the commandline, it tells you what's going on.

make: g++: Command not found

g++ is the gnu c++ compiler. It's not installed. So... we need to install it, and then try again (you might find other missing packages, but there shouldn't be many)

from commandline, type:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

that's a metapackage that pulls in a lot of tools needed to build stuff from source -- like the missing compilers. The wiki should be updated to include that in the prerequesites.

stevereaver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:26 PM »
There is a problem with the package, the dependency in the CONTROL file is set to libcurl3, but it should be libcurl4. The two cannot be installed together so if you, apt-get -f install some other packages will get kicked out. I have fixed the package and repackaged it. Here is a link to it.

http://rvrmedia.com/files/attract_2.5.1-1ubuntu1.bionic_amd64.deb
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:16:14 PM by stevereaver »

manzarek

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 12:22:46 PM »
There is a problem with the package, the dependency in the CONTROL file is set to libcurl3, but it should be libcurl4. The two cannot be installed together so if you, apt-get -f install some other packages will get kicked out. I have fixed the package and repackaged it. Here is a link to it.

http://rvrmedia.com/files/attract_2.5.1-1ubuntu1.bionic_amd64.deb
:)
Mame Fighting