Author Topic: Beginner's Quest  (Read 4328 times)

zeroid

• View Profile
Beginner's Quest
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »
Hi, I'm new to AttractMode.
I did downloaded the app and tried to change a few configs to see how it goes and what it does.
I understand the concept of this app but I'm still facing some problems in using it.

Questions:
1. I wanted to code the interface and I noticed all i need to do is code the "Layouts" to be shown in the "Display" with "Squirrel". Am I right?
2. I noticed in the youtube videos posted by others, the FrontEnd was able to display a list of game titles and videos. How do I do that with the current sample layouts that bundled together.
3. Is there any "Output" or "build" to this app? after i've custom coded my own layout and attempt to distribute it. in other words, how do I distribute my result.
4. Any beginner's guide to this?

Many thanks in advance.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Beginner's Quest
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "redistribute your own". Yes it is written in squirrel. If you are talking about making your own layouts and such., you just post your work here on the forums under the themes sub forum. Most of us post a pic of our layout first..then "tweak" it (you know how artists are :P ) and then post a message with the layout files attached for people to download.

The program itself is distributed via git hub or you can download it from the download link.

We trade code here all the time and you can look into the layout file and see how it is done. Do you have any coding experience? (I assume so) Also to make the videos and such show even in a basic layout you have to have the video snaps screen shots ect..we don't distribute that here. That's too much hassle. Did you need help getting started? We'll help. :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:09:35 AM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
Zeroid-

Welcome to the community. My first suggestion would be to read the howto guides. There is a readme.md and layout.md in the root of attract to help you get started. And, like fox mentioned, look at the layout.nuts for scripting help.   

zeroid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
Hi, Thanks for all your advise.
Now, i've seen and read the samples.
Pretty much has the idea how it works.
When i say distribute, i dont mean distributing the AM or layout.
I am probably using the wrong choice of words to describe what i need.

What i mean is, how do i deploy the layout that i have made and show it to my friends to use it?
Do i actually have to copy the whole directory of AM and preset the layout to be used and setup all folders for Roms and Artworks, then zip everything and send to my friend to use?
Or I can actually deploy it into some sort of a package like a ".apk"?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »
To share your layout is simple. Just zip up or copy the folder with all your "pieces" in it. That is your background, and layout nut minimum. If you have other parts..like "default marquee" or such then you add that in there as well. Depending on the complexity of your layout you might need to add a readme file with info about your layout. Like omegaman did for his particle layout (the particles had to be placed in a different folder) but that's really all you have to do.
People want life easy..then complain about it

zeroid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 12:56:39 AM »
thank you