Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 - with RetroPie  (Read 523681 times)

Roverius

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi 2 and Pi 3
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2016, 01:56:26 AM »
I think I'll make sure that my build continue to support X and non-x so users can choose, but I'll gear it for non-x to better support RetroPie.

First, thanks for this build.

But, when i  generate ROM list, it takes a long time and it seems he scans inside the zip-files.
Is this normal? and is the list generated according the files inside the zip-files?

What emulator? What is your Rom Extension?

The emulator is MAME and the extentions are .ZIP
With a previous compiled version, it only scanned the ZIP files and was done in a few seconds.
It seems the problem just occurs inV0.3

Another problem is, when i use external console, like putty, to change FSTAB to point to external Harddisk, the AM does not boot anymore. It seems i have to make changes directly from the command prompt. The same happens with V0.2 and V0.3

It did work on external harddrive before, only i encounter problems with the FLOOB builds

For the emulator to be visible in the list, does the settings for the emulator has to point out to the exact emalutor executable?
like e.g; : "/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch" ?
Pressing the Right Arrow Key brings you to Attract Mode

Also, when a MAME game has been started, the escape-key does not work to exit the game back to AM.

Is there a solution to prevent exiting to command prompt from screensaver?
The AM shuts down after a while when in screensaver. This happens at a random time interval.

Regards,
Roverius
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:10:52 AM by Roverius »

senkun

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2016, 06:29:48 AM »

Some of my HyperSpin videos were too hi-res for AM. ... (this might be fixed in the non-x version of AM on Pi, I haven't tried)

unfortunately, from what limited testing I have done so far, high bitrate or large mp4s are still choking on the/my new stock non-X AM/retropie. it may just be you and I, so more input from others would be appreciated. one of the reasons I was so excited about the new build was the thought of getting hd snaps/movies running on AM.

btw saw your vid, handsome setup there, very nice. looks like what you did may scale well to small screen use. if I can get all my "have tos" done, I may just have enough time to go play with my "want tos", and that now includes getting your theme onto one of my porta-pi. not enough hours in a day...

senkun

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »

The AM shuts down after a while when in screensaver. This happens at a random time interval.

if you check your logs it may show that AM quit due to oom/out of memory, probably related to it choking on hi bandwidth/large video snaps playing in screensaver.

Roverius

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2016, 09:04:54 AM »

if you check your logs it may show that AM quit due to oom/out of memory, probably related to it choking on hi bandwidth/large video snaps playing in screensaver.

Might check that out, abouth more then 4700 vids on it, all MP4, deleted the FLV files before, because i tought those files killed the AM.
After a good test with settings, i just need to filter out the NON-Working games.
I Placed over 29K roms on the disk, so it might take a while to sort them out.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »
FFMPEG on RPI is not accelerated so if you throw high quality video at AM it has a brown trousers error. ;D

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2016, 06:33:29 PM »
Roverius-

If you want to use an external drive for things like roms and media you only need to edit this /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg file. Then just change the rom paths for the emulators that will use the external media. So, something like this /media/usb0/roms/mame or whatever your DIR structure is.

Roverius

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
Roverius-

If you want to use an external drive for things like roms and media you only need to edit this /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg file. Then just change the rom paths for the emulators that will use the external media. So, something like this /media/usb0/roms/mame or whatever your DIR structure is.

Can u use FAT32 or NTFS structures in that way?
I tried it before and didnt work.
So, to me, the best way is to change the external drive into ext4 and mount it.
I never had issues with that, just that i need to edit fstab on the PI itself and not in a remote console (weird)
When i installed AM by compiling it from scracth, the mount in fstab went without problems when done with a remote console.
So, thats why i thought it had to do something with the floob-build.

weller96c

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
Hi All.

Can anyone help me set up some emulators that aren't already pre configured in Floobs image.

I'm trying to add the following and when performing "add emulator" from the menu I'm stuck where to input the emulator location under Command Arguments.
The emulators I'm trying to add are
N64
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Sega 32x

If anyone can advise the path locations that the emulators would be from retropie for me to add these emulators i'd be massively grateful

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
Hi All.

Can anyone help me set up some emulators that aren't already pre configured in Floobs image.

I'm trying to add the following and when performing "add emulator" from the menu I'm stuck where to input the emulator location under Command Arguments.
The emulators I'm trying to add are
N64
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Sega 32x

If anyone can advise the path locations that the emulators would be from retropie for me to add these emulators i'd be massively grateful

If you are using the latest version of Floob's image these are the paths (they will be different on earlier versions).

Nintendo 64--
executable     /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
args     0 _SYS_ n64 "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64
romext               .n64
system               Nintendo 64
info_source          thegamesdb.net
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/boxart
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/wheel

Atari 7800--
args     0 _SYS_ atari7800 "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atari7800
romext               .a78
system               Atati 7800
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atari7800/boxart
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atari7800/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atari7800/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atari7800/wheel

Atari Jaguar (this isn't installed in Floob's image so you'll need to install it yourself)--
args     0 _SYS_ atarijaguar "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atarijaguar
romext               .jag
system               Atari Jaguar
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atarijaguar/boxart
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atarijaguar/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atarijaguar/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atarijaguar/wheel

Sega 32X--
args     0 _SYS_ sega32x "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sega32x
romext               .32x
system               Sega 32X
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sega32x/boxart
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sega32x/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sega32x/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sega32x/wheel
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:19:22 PM by progets »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »
Roverius-

Can u use FAT32 or NTFS structures in that way?
I tried it before and didnt work.
So, to me, the best way is to change the external drive into ext4 and mount it.
I never had issues with that, just that i need to edit fstab on the PI itself and not in a remote console (weird)
When i installed AM by compiling it from scracth, the mount in fstab went without problems when done with a remote console.
So, thats why i thought it had to do something with the floob-build.

Yes, it will work with fat32 but I haven't tested it with NTFS yet. It works like a charm with floob's image or just straight up retropie. 

Roverius

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2016, 10:07:38 AM »

Might check that out, abouth more then 4700 vids on it, all MP4, deleted the FLV files before, because i tought those files killed the AM.
After a good test with settings, i just need to filter out the NON-Working games.
I Placed over 29K roms on the disk, so it might take a while to sort them out.

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log does not show any out of memory errors.
Is there another log where it might be reported, because the Xorg log seemed to me the logical file to look into when X-server stops working.

Found the correct log, /var/log/kern.log
Out of memorry: Kill process 990 (attract) score 917 or sacrifice child
I am going to try to replace the vid files with a lower resoltion kind.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:13:57 AM by Roverius »

fbs777

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »
I was using the v.01 and v.02 versions without any problem, but this v.03 is almost impossible to use with keyboard (no problem with xbox 360 controller), both terminal and X mode:

1- The v.03 version included again an old problem with keyboard on linux. If i hold the "down" key for 3 seconds the wheel will still scroll for about 5 seconds after release the key. (No problem with gamepad).

2- If you open a game and press a key in the keyboard some times, this will "keep in memory", then quit the game and the AM will start to "press the keys in memory"
So if you press down, down, down, down in the game and exit with gamepad button, the AM will start to scroll down the wheel. If you quit the game with the Esc key will not scroll down because will send the esc to AM and will ask to quit the AM.

3- After start it shows this error in the terminal when running without X (maybe its running without the hardware accelerated gpu when no X?):
Code: [Select]
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2016, 12:52:03 AM »
I had some of the same issues with the keyboard and double esc key presses (only single was pressed) taking me right to the command line.
Decided to compile the non X version back onto RetroPie 3.6 since 3.7 was buggy for me by itself.
Works much better now on my setup anyway.

fbs777

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »
I had some of the same issues with the keyboard and double esc key presses (only single was pressed) taking me right to the command line.
Decided to compile the non X version back onto RetroPie 3.6 since 3.7 was buggy for me by itself.
I dont know if is a retropie 3.7 problem, because i was using the v.02 (retropie 3.7) without problems. Maybe is the SFML version. Are you using the same new SFML version ( https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi used in v.03) with the retropie 3.6?

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2016, 08:20:49 AM »
I dont know if is a retropie 3.7 problem, because i was using the v.02 (retropie 3.7) without problems. Maybe is the SFML version. Are you using the same new SFML version ( https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi used in v.03) with the retropie 3.6?

I had compiled my own image before Floob did either of his V.01 or v.02 but I did test the v.02 out to see if there was anything I liked better. I had some issues witht that version as well so never used it past a test.
Yes my new image is compiled with the latest non X Attract Mode on REtropie 3.6, I run Advance MAME so it's the only solution for Attract Mode for my build.